The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2022, 01:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm love the video. I saw it earlier but it didn't have the walk around of the engines. That $hit won't buff out! I'm sure American will bill them handsomely for the equipment that got ran over. It looked like at one point a container got sucked into the outboard engine but later the fan looked intact.

Well I gotta go over and bring in the trash can, but I don't think I'll do anything else. This sucks. Had a cortisone shot and it worked great for about a week. Now I can wait a few months for another one that will work for a week or talk to the doctor about surgery. I got too much to do this spring for surgery. I see no easy solution.
Mike - You saw what I saw and I had to replay the video a couple times. From my perspective, that container was of the "plastic" variety. If you replay the video, pause/play/pause/play a number of times let me point something out from that outboard engine which you're correct appears to have had no blade damage. NOTE: Look at the point where that white container enters the intake and watch the hundreds of pieces of white plastic shrapnel emitted from the exhaust of the engine. IMO, that engine chewed the living $HIT out of that plastic container and spit it right out its A$$.

I would suggest to you you start doing some daily stretches and walking - no exertion, but stretching and walking. You know, stretching - as in touch your toes numerous times throughout the day, one foot up on the table and a good leg stretch at the hip girdle and some walking. I mean it's your call, but I'd hate to see you go through surgery. You don't strike me as the type person who with a svelte sportsman figure, but I'd think hard & fast of just getting some good stretching in and some walking. Keeping the blood flowing and limber in the region can help significantly. Good luck on that one.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 1st, 2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old February 1st, 2022, 01:44 PM

Well, too bad about that China airlines wiping out an engine, that Boeing is going to need a new one. That's ok, I know that we will be willing to take their money to help with it's replacement. $$. Chris, and Koda, hope that you have back up generators, as it looks like you may need them.
Old February 1st, 2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Bad day to pick up/deliver furniture...

So, are you going to wait until it's all over & done with, or are you out there every hour cleaning off the pavement? Our family had many snow blowers of various varieties and notoriety - mostly used ones which would never start in the middle of the winter. Thankfully there were three boys in our family. It's a GAWD forsaken job shoveling ice and snow - never ending battle.
Believe it or not, it's still 59° now. It's raining now, and temp is not supposed to drop below freezing until about 2 am. Freezing rain first, then 3 -5" of snow through Wednesday afternoon. Then another 5 - 7" Wednesday evening through Thursday afternoon. If we get what they're projecting I'll probably run the snowblower once late Wednesday afternoon, and then again Thursday afternoon when the snow let's up.

My Dad had two snow plows, my brother and I!
Old February 1st, 2022, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, too bad about that China airlines wiping out an engine, that Boeing is going to need a new one. That's ok, I know that we will be willing to take their money to help with it's replacement. $$. Chris, and Koda, hope that you have back up generators, as it looks like you may need them.
Dan - We're not supposed to get much ice, and our electric is underground, so we rarely lose power. Luckily I have the gas fireplace that will heat the entire living room area and kitchen if the electric goes out. I'd hate for the power to go out for more than 1/2-day though, I don't have a generator. I had a large gas generator at my old house where the electric went out for long periods of time, especially during ice storms. One time it was out 5 or 6-days. My ex and the kids went and stayed with her sister while I stayed and manned the generator. I was able to keep enough heat in the house to keep the pipes from freezing, and didn't lose any food in the fridge or deep freeze, which was full of a bunch of beef.
Old February 1st, 2022, 04:12 PM

Speaking of weather, I just saw this on a news channel:

Longest lightning bolt record: 477 miles over 3 states

This satellite image provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration shows a thunderstorm complex which was found to contain the longest single flash that covered a horizontal distance on record, at around 768 kilometers (477 miles) across parts of the southern United States on April 29, 2020

A bolt of lightning that stretched nearly 500 miles across three U.S. states is the new world record holder for longest flash.

The single flash extended 477.2 miles (768 kilometers) across Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi in April 2020, the World Meteorological Organization said Monday. That beat the old record set in 2018 in Brazil of 440.6 miles (709 kilometers).

Also in 2020, a single lightning flash over Uruguay and northern Argentina lasted 17.1 seconds, nipping the old time record of 16.7 seconds.

Normally lightning doesn’t stretch farther than 10 miles and lasts less than a second, said Arizona State University’s Randall Cerveny, who is the chief of records confirmation for the meteorological organization.

“These two lightning flash records are absolutely extraordinary,” Cerveny said in an email.

Both were cloud-to-cloud, several thousand feet above the ground, so no one was in danger, he said.

These records, which are not linked to climate change, were spotted and confirmed thanks to new satellite tracking technology. Both regions are two of the few places in the world prone to the type of intense storms that can produce what are called “megaflashes, " Cerveny said.

Last edited by Fun71; February 1st, 2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old February 1st, 2022, 06:17 PM

Kenneth - That's fascinating, I never knew lightning strikes of that magnitude even occurred! Thanks for sharing!
Old February 1st, 2022, 06:18 PM

Can you imagine a 17 second lightning strike? That would be awesome to see, but scary as well.
Old February 1st, 2022, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Can you imagine a 17 second lightning strike? That would be awesome to see, but scary as well.
And you just have to wonder what the thunder from a 17 second strike would sound like!!!
Old February 1st, 2022, 08:10 PM

I don't have one, but I got a cheap inverter, plenty of car batteries to tap, a fireplace with enough wood for a couple days, and a propane heater and about 50 lbs of propane with which I can also grill. I did get about 200 lbs of salt, I am going to treat my driveway tomorrow evening in the rain right before it starts to freeze coming down.

People were like, you need a generator for your freezer. I said I could throw it outside. It's hurricane season in FL that needs a generator for freezers; I grew up doing that.
Old February 1st, 2022, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
And you just have to wonder what the thunder from a 17 second strike would sound like!!!
I was a lifeguard in central FL for a job. It was a bad storm, and we put patrons under these shelters to wait it out. There was a black baptist church group there. Bad lightning and thunder and the women were scared. So the preacher started preaching, and he called it down. I was impressed.
Old February 1st, 2022, 08:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
So the preacher started preaching, and he called it down. I was impressed.
No mention or rattlesnakes - that's odd.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 03:29 AM

Mike, I think [given your lofty position in life] you deserve a W C 57 Command Car with a few stars on it
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:18 AM

Cold morning guys,

26° right now and light sleet, a far cry from the high we had yesterday of 63°, just nuts! Sleeting right now, with minor accumulation, the grass is not covered. I've been outside, and my driveway, our road, and my truck are icy, so we did get freezing rain for at least a little while. Guess we'll see what the day brings?

Obviously I'm not going anywhere today if I can avoid it. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 2nd, 2022, 08:22 AM

Norm, Sum'in flung a crav'in on me fer a muffuletta
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:27 PM

Good afternoon guys,

James - That sandwich looks great, it's been too long since I've had one of those!

Well, we've been in the ice/sleet zone most of the day, so not much accumulation as far as depth, but our road is very slick and the chemicals don't seem to be working on it. The snow is still supposed to come later with 6 to 9-inches. I'll believe it when I see it. No sense on getting out there with the snowblower yet, there's really nothing to blow off.

I haven't shown many pieces my wife has completed lately, didn't want to bore you guys too much. Here are a couple pieces she's completed recently and are for sale now. There is a china/display cabinet, and a bar height table and 4 chairs. They are not a set, and are being sold separately. As I've come to expect from her, all beautiful pieces, and someone will get some really nice furniture at a bargain.

I hope everyone is having a great day!
Old February 2nd, 2022, 01:47 PM

I don't have one, but I got a cheap inverter, plenty of car batteries to tap, a fireplace with enough wood for a couple days, and a propane heater and about 50 lbs of propane with which I can also grill. I did get about 200 lbs of salt, I am going to treat my driveway tomorrow evening in the rain right before it starts to freeze coming down.
Koda, you're well prepared. Chris, your wife just has talent, nice work as usual. I would love to see lightning that lasted 17 seconds, it would be pretty cool. Gonna make spagetti for dinner, it's been awhile.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 02:23 PM

Koda, you're well prepared. Chris, your wife just has talent, nice work as usual. I would love to see lightning that lasted 17 seconds, it would be pretty cool. Gonna make spagetti for dinner, it's been awhile.
Thanks Dan, I'll let her know! Spaghetti sounds good, we're having pizza.
Old February 2nd, 2022, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Been cold and overcast all day but no rain yet. Maybe it will miss us. I actually don't think the Greater Stockbridge Area is in the direct path of any storm.

Work was, work. Lots of down time yet we still finished by 2. I came home and sat down and fell asleep. Hadn't done that in awhile.

Jamesbo I like that 57. Funny, even though I was never in the military I like a bunch of their trucks.

Heard a couple different stories about the ground hog. No idea what the Georgia ground hog saw, except for the laser from Jamesbo's gun.

Well I'm off to bed. Maybe a little extra sleep will help me out tomorrow and tomorrow afternoon.

Peace.

Old February 2nd, 2022, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

41/41
Old February 2nd, 2022, 05:21 PM

41/41
Well you're certainly Mr. Consistency, consistently good! Don't back talk me and say you're not. Those of us who have played much would love to be able to consistently shoot in the low 80's!
Old February 2nd, 2022, 06:57 PM

Nothing here yet other than a lot of wind and a little rain. I strategically spread 200 lbs of calcium chlorate salt on my gravel drive to ward off the ice. Catching up on dishes and clothes washing and blasting heat and charging car batteries now in case it gets bad.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 03:45 AM

:Like a cow peeing on a flat rock down here. Sposed to warm up but hasn't yet

Norm, Another good round. The weather here has been so bad, I haven't played in a month. I think yoiu should now give me 15 strokes
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:07 AM

Did you get snow, Dan? We went down to Mt. Pleasant yesterday to take grand daughter out to lunch. Left Harrison and no snow at all, got to MP and started to snow slushy slippery stuff. By time we left there had about 2 " of it. Tried to turn into a shopping center and ran left front wheel into the curb. broke plastic hubcap and actually bent wheel. Geez poor old car getting all beat up. Actually we were going to look at cars and talk to salesmen at dealerships but not in that slop. Anyway headed back to Harrison and no snow at all. The line the weather people predicted was right!
Old February 3rd, 2022, 05:59 AM
Running On Empty

65°F sunshine both today/tomorrow.

James - If you have a GHIN HC number I'll give you the delta between you & me based upon course HC from tees of play.

Worked outdoors in the yard yesterday afternoon after playing 18, slept like a rock last night. Should I open the '71 CS instrument panel, install the (new to me) OEM (restored) clock & grease the speedometer cable or work on more yard activities?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:03 AM

Good morning guys,

Different story out this morning, we're definitely in the snow zone. Cold at 16°, and snowing steadily a fine, dry type of snow that's drifting with 20 - 25mph winds. We've probably got 4 to 5-inches on the ground now and it's supposed to snow through noon. I sure hope my wife's dental appointment gets canceled, it's really nasty out. City plow has been through at least once since I got up, but the street is still snow covered as you'll see in the pics. Doesn't look like any chemicals they've put down are working very much because of the cold.

Greg - Sorry for another fender bender, that's tough. Did it blow the tire too when you hit the curb?

John - Looks like you're getting it now too. Hope your working from home, stay in and stay safe!

Anyone else out there experiencing this storm stay in and safe if you can. I'll check back in later with an update on conditions.

Out of my front door

Out my back deck, note the drifting on the deck
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:20 AM

65°F sunshine both today/tomorrow.
Norm - 65° with sunshine sounds like heaven right now! Work out in the yard and save the work on the CS for a rainy day.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:11 AM

Thankfully from a safety standpoint, my wife's Oral Surgery appointment scheduled for 1400 this afternoon has already been canceled. I am sincerely glad we don't have to get out on the roads! I will now be able to hold off on worrying about clearing the drive out until later this afternoon after the snow has tapered off quite a bit or quit.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 07:33 AM
Jeff

We got almost a foot here in Grand Blanc. I waited until it was almost done before firing up the snowblower. Damn lazy kids never did go out and take care of it, I got tired of waiting for them. Making them go out and clear the cars and rest that came down today.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 08:49 AM

military Mike, Question

Is that the standard Lister water bag that you sometimes see strapped to the Jerry can on the back of a jeep
Old February 3rd, 2022, 11:45 AM

I don't have any snow, nor really any ice. I have frozen rain laying on the ground, which is still coming down. Plant bagged last night, today, tonight, and about to bag tomorrow day. We'll see about tomorrow night.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 11:57 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Rain. Not frozen. Cold and ugly out. Good time to stay in.

Work was slow, we ran out of wheels and we got out a few minutes early.

Jamesbo I don't know anything about lister bags but I don't think I'd store one next to gasoline. When my parents drove from Illinois to California after they got married they had a similar bag on the front of the car. Not sure if the water was for them or the car.

Well Greg, things happen in three's. The second thing wasn't as bad as the first, so maybe the third will just be a door ding.

Norm on a nice day you should work in the yard. And then eat cheesecake.

Don't know what to do today. It's an inside sort of an afternoon. Maybe I can scare up an errand to run. Or just do nothing. I did that yesterday.

Peace
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
When my parents drove from Illinois to California after they got married they had a similar bag on the front of the car. Not sure if the water was for them or the car.
Those bags were designed to leak and drip water onto the front of the car (radiator), which then evaporated and extracted more heat due to that latent heat of vaporization thing.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:15 PM

Mike, I'm pretty sure they are the old lister bags empty folded down and strapped on the side of the can

I thought you might have seen some or some pics

Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Those bags were designed to leak and drip water onto the front of the car (radiator), which then evaporated and extracted more heat due to that latent heat of vaporization thing.
Swamp Cooler
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - How do I remove the gear selector (paper clip) between speedometer & column gear selector - I have the instrument panel opened up A/C ducting (below) removed. I have the speedometer cable pulled out from the back. I'd like to pull the entire speedometer housing from the panel. I was thinking of simply bending the paperclip (at the top) pull the gauge, the bend the paperclip back in place. Thoughts?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:32 PM

Norm, it should be a screw onto the steering column. Leave the cable with the gauge. Unscrew off the steering column collar, let the sheet metal bracket (like .5 inch square) dangle on cable. Mark where it goes on column.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, it should be a screw onto the steering column. Leave the cable with the gauge. Unscrew off the steering column collar, let the sheet metal bracket (like .5 inch square) dangle on cable. Mark where it goes on column.
John - What is "it"?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:46 PM

The way to disconnect the prndl indicator cable to steering column. That paperclip should, I think, have a bolt that goes through it, and it sandwiches onto a collar from the steering column for adjustability. Remove bolt, er, sheet metal screw, it probably is, and it should slide off. I think all GM A body 72s are the same in that manner.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:47 PM
Running On Empty

Oh wait. I now think I know what you're talking about. There's a 5" x 5" square metal piece under the dash just above the steering column. I haven't removed that piece, that must be where I can access "it". I'll check again.
Old February 3rd, 2022, 12:58 PM

Kenneth - How do I remove the gear selector (paper clip) between speedometer & column gear selector - I have the instrument panel opened up A/C ducting (below) removed. I have the speedometer cable pulled out from the back. I'd like to pull the entire speedometer housing from the panel. I was thinking of simply bending the paperclip (at the top) pull the gauge, the bend the paperclip back in place. Thoughts?
I have no idea as both my 70 and 71 were floor shift with Dual Gate, so no indicator in the speedo.