The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2024, 08:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

And now we wait. We finished before lunch and now we'll be here until 230. Eh, what difference does it make I'm coming in tomorrow. But it would be nice to have a little more of the afternoon to myself.

AC guy came yesterday and did all sorts of checks, and had his sniffer going, no gas. He did some test to the outside meter, passed. He left the inside gas valve for the furnace on, and this morning no gas smell. So who the hell knows. He said the warranty is for 10 years so come fall when I start using it again if the smell comes back I'll call him again.

John the next time the light comes on get out and rap on it a couple times. Might be a diode going bad. That could give you a few more miles.

Got a couple errands to run when I get home, beautiful day out. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old May 3rd, 2024, 03:22 PM

Smoked trout capers horseradish
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:12 PM

Jim Bell=Gormet. I'm not a fish person, but that looks good.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:31 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Excellent
Old May 4th, 2024, 03:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a good start built up at 4 this morning, and right now I have 12 wheels before 6. Not too bad. We'll be here till noon because that's how we get all our overtime. It's bullshit but that's how it goes.

So yesterday was the 31st anniversary of my start into aviation. I started A&P school May 3, 1993. Started with Delta March 4, 1994. A lot of my teachers were Eastern mechanics. Eastern had just gone tango uniform. It's funny to compare them to teachers in, say, high school. HS teachers teach from a book from the most part. My instructors in A&P school added a lot of experience and history of things into the book learning. Not saying regular teachers can't do that. None of mine did.

What I thought was funny, at the time I drove a 91 short bed S10, a guy in my class drove a 92, and the instructor drove a 93. We'd park next to each other and it looked like an S10 show. Mine and my buddy's were both 5 speeds, the instructor's was an automatic. Both of theirs were the big six, mine was the 2.8.

Break. Debating on whether I want to do Awful house after work. I guess it will depend on if it rains like it's been forecast.

Have a good day everyone.

Old May 4th, 2024, 08:42 AM

For the most part, most of my high school teachers were marginal. I did have two very, very good Chemistry teachers. University level, in high school, with plenty of fun stuff. I took Chem 102 in college and sailed through the course due to those two.

Got eggs for cooking this weekend, had bacon and eggs and toast and coffee for breakfast. Once I get moving from all that, it's time to do car work.
Old May 4th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

Absolutely gorgeous/outstanding weather. I was able to establish a very safe workable platform to address the exterior of the box frame (x2) double-hung windows which I'll be working from for a considerable amount of time. That in itself is a huge plus.
Old May 4th, 2024, 10:27 AM

In light of the two '67 442's for sale here, I'll post this link from a January B.A.T. auction. I thought about taking a look at it, but I figured that it was a $35k car. Boy, was I wrong, and somebody got a deal on it. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mobile-442-22/
Old May 4th, 2024, 10:28 AM
Running On Empty

College instruction requires 32 hrs. (minimum) college level academic coursework to teach the subject area (there exist some variation), but State Regents for Higher Education (or Board of Governors) establish minimums & there isn't much wiggle room as all colleges require these minimums in order to be certified. I qualified @ 35 hrs but I was hired to teach majors biology (5 years) for which I had 50+ hrs. My only bad experience in chemistry coursework came at the hands of my 1st semester organic chemistry graduate student lab. assistant who was a complete douche nozzle - a cocky **** ant little weasel. A simple conversation with the instructor curbed his attitude.
Old May 4th, 2024, 10:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
In light of the two '67 442's for sale here, I'll post this link from a January B.A.T. auction. I thought about taking a look at it, but I figured that it was a $35k car. Boy, was I wrong, and somebody got a deal on it. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...mobile-442-22/
They did, indeed. Nice 4-4-2.
Old May 4th, 2024, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Mildly disappointed when I opened the refrigerator & there were no Capers.

Old May 4th, 2024, 03:49 PM

Rain today topped off with Brats, kraut, tater salad, and a few beets

Old May 4th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Looks excellent. I haven't had a brat in quite some time.
Old May 4th, 2024, 04:31 PM
Bfg

Don’t be a pig
Old May 4th, 2024, 05:36 PM

Thanks Norm, yours looks delicious also 😋
Old May 4th, 2024, 07:29 PM

Chris ya have to check out Netflix "UNFROSTED"
A new Jerry Seinfeld flick spin on the 60's Cereal Industry spoof. Kinda fun
Old May 4th, 2024, 08:33 PM

Worked on the truck today. New alternator, positive terminal, serpentine belt. Took the straight pipe out, mounted the new cat and resonator. I put the thing on the rubber support before tightening the donut. Don't do that. Bent the flange at the hole because the shoulder of the bolt did not go through. Finally figured out to take the rubber thing out, break the back end loose, THEN do the donut. You have to make sure both shoulders are through the flange. Finally got it assembled, this rock auto part is 99% right, and cranked it down. Tightened the back, then the rubber thing. Fired it up, no leaks, so went for test drive.

Alternator is reading 13.5 at battery when hot idle, so that's an estimated 14 V at the output. Headlights are brighter. Now to fix the clutch.

Edit: 6 year old dusty battery and failed terminal temp fixed by cotter pins. It failed years ago, but I thought the stud and cable were one; the cable fits over the stud, then the small wire ring goes over that, then nut.

Last edited by Koda; May 4th, 2024 at 08:38 PM.
Old May 5th, 2024, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Chris ya have to check out Netflix "UNFROSTED"
A new Jerry Seinfeld flick spin on the 60's Cereal Industry spoof. Kinda fun
upon your recommendation. Pretty cleaver, nice corsair wagon. Mike would like the Imperial
my favorite is Longmire

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 5th, 2024 at 02:03 AM.
Old May 5th, 2024, 03:44 AM

Longmire is a great series Jim. I thought they would have more season's by now. If you ever get a chance to check out Joe Picket that series is Longmireish.

What should I watch if I like Longmire?

Joe Pickett
2021 – 2023

Dark Winds
Since 2022

Justified
2010 – 2015

Justified: City Primeval

Godless
Since 2017

I agree some pretty neat car candy, amazing what we saw on the road everyday is now so sought after. The writing is clever. I remember Chris sharing some of he and his families early work experience.
Old May 5th, 2024, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Agree 100%, someone got a great deal. Also, pretty rare car with it being a Post 3-sp stick.
Old May 5th, 2024, 08:15 AM

Hi guys,

Been out of pocket doing car stuff Friday evening and all day Saturday. Went to the large monthly cruise-in at the church on Friday evening and a judged show on Saturday. Placed 2nd in the BOP Class at the judged show (posted in Clubhouse). Wonderful show and day until I ran into torrential thunderstorms on the way home and had to drive about 35-minutes in it. Now all the cleaning/detailing will have to start over prepping for another judged show next Saturday.

Lots of good food displayed and good recommendations for TV binging. Too much to comment on individually, but thanks for posting.

John - Glad you got the Tacoma road worthy again, ready for another 300K-miles!

Got to catch up on chores today, the main one being mowing, anyone got a motorized hay sickle they're willing to loan me?

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:22 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Done with Walmart. My bill seems to be going up exponentially every week, and I don't get anything really different. I did get a big bag of dog food this week, which I don't normally get, so there's 30 bucks of it.

Chris your car looks totally different with those wheels on it, I guess I didn't notice till I saw it in the show picture. Either way you can't beat a 67 442. Did you say your car was an 06D production date?

Nice out today so more mowing. Gonna hook up the big trailer so I can bring the mower over to Mom's. I want to leave the cheep mower I got from my friend at Mom's but I need to get a belt for the mower deck first.

John good show with all the work on your truck. What did all that work cost compared to, say, a new Silverado?

Okay off I go. Slept in this morning, sure felt good. And it was quiet. No commotion. That all ends when I walk out the door so I try to savor it. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old May 5th, 2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris your car looks totally different with those wheels on it, I guess I didn't notice till I saw it in the show picture. Either way you can't beat a 67 442. Did you say your car was an 06D production date?
Mike - Yep, I agree it looks quite a bit different. I agonized over whether I would like it as much with the SS1'S on it. I wasn't even sold when I first put them on, but they've really grown on me.

Yes it's an 06D build date, great memory. Looks like we'll both be mowing this afternoon, good luck. I gotta get mine done today, more rain in the forecast the next 3-days. Everything is saturated here, and there's alot of localized flooding in the low lying areas, we sure don't need anymore!
Old May 5th, 2024, 11:07 AM

Norm Do you have a specific program you like to transfer data from one old computer to a new one/
Old May 5th, 2024, 11:49 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I was curious you called & left no VM. I'll call you.
Old May 5th, 2024, 11:51 AM

Mike, I think I am in the hole about $1200 in parts and 14 hours labor.
Old May 5th, 2024, 01:49 PM

I mowed the back yard this morning. We haven’t had rain since April 1. It as a 2 day rain event and the grass looked beautiful then, but a month without rain and it’s looking pretty rough. I guess I need to increase the irrigation time and get it back into shape before the 110 degree temperatures hit.
Old May 5th, 2024, 02:48 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Have you considered planting rocks?
Old May 5th, 2024, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I guess I need to increase the irrigation time and get it back into shape before the 110 degree temperatures hit.
I've often wondered what the water bill is for the nicer golf courses in your area? It has to be frickin astronomical!
Old May 5th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I've often wondered what the water bill is for the nicer golf courses in your area? It has to be frickin astronomical!
I'll bet dollars-to-donuts Kenneth could care less what the water bill is at ANY golf course ANYWHERE as much as he loves golf.
Old May 5th, 2024, 04:18 PM

Norm, I have half an acre of rocks; the other half is grass.

While you’re correct about my enthusiasm for golf, I do realize its economic impact, and I 100% appreciate the green spaces the courses create - they provide an environment for wildlife and a nice change from the harsh, hot, dry, prickly desert.

A decade ago or so one of my co-workers was friends with a greenskeeper who told him they used a million gallons of water a month. This site shows in 2017 the average was 1.48 million gallons a month for each of the 219 courses in the metro area. That’s a lotta water usage, but as noted above, it’s good for the economy, wildlife, and human well being.
Old May 5th, 2024, 04:43 PM
Running On Empty

And, it should be noted there are no golf courses which actually pay a "water" bill. Golf courses are watered via groundwater, surface water (lakes, rivers and reservoirs), recycled water & sometimes bore holes. I think the average golf course utilizes ~200 million gals/yr? Of course, you have to pay the utility bill to move some of this water - but even then if the golf course is designed well, the utility isn't much.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:04 PM

Went to Cars and Coffee in the hood today. Not a bad show, may start going regularly. See thread in General Discussion.

Drove Monte Carlo to pole barn, put it in. I need to detail the bugs off tomorrow, so I'll stop by on the way home with some quick detailer.

Had lunch, sat for a bit, then got on the rider mower and mowed all I could. Fired up the push mower, went around the property hitting the bits I can't get with the rider. Scraped a couple stumps, but one stopped it. Fired it up, lots of vibration. I put it on its side and spun the blade and it looks ok, but it could be bent out of balance. Or the shaft can be bent. A bent shaft is a serious deal for man and mower alike. I think I will take the blade off, fire it up, and see if vibration is there still. Of course, moving blade on its side somehow puked a couple of ounces of oil out the muffler. I fired it up and it smoked like Casey Jones's ride till it calmed down. Still vibrating.

It's a 20 year old half rusted out Bolens MTD Briggs push mower I bought in grad school for $175. I have run it out of oil once, and bent the first blade sideways once. Tough little mower, I think it has lost some compression over the years. If it dies, I got my money's worth.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:25 PM
Running On Empty

Sounds like a bent shaft. A lot of bother to change the shaft. There were some very interesting cars at that Cars & Coffee. A Ferrari & a Mclaren, as well.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
And, it should be noted there are no golf courses which actually pay a "water" bill. Golf courses are watered via groundwater, surface water (lakes, rivers and reservoirs), recycled water & sometimes bore holes.
Well, that’s not 100% accurate according to the USGA:

Golf courses use a variety of water sources for turfgrass irrigation including groundwater, surface water (lakes, rivers and reservoirs), recycled water, and municipal potable water supplies.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:28 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - WHATEVER!
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:37 PM

Sounds like a bent shaft. A lot of bother to change the shaft. There were some very interesting cars at that Cars & Coffee. A Ferrari & a Mclaren, as well.
Yeah, if so, I will seriously debate fixing it. There is an exotic user card dealership Lux Motors in town that brings those.

I did my good deed for today. Neighbor has two barn cats, one doesn't like me, and the other one likes me when the first one isn't around. Jerome is a long haired orange male, think he's been clipped. Very good personality when he decides it's ok to be petted, in fact, he's so friendly I call him Trip Hazard.

So, my chief mouser had a tick, so I convinced him to hold still enough to needlenose pliers yank it for him. He is really appreciative when I pull a tick off his neck; he can't pull them himself there.
Old May 5th, 2024, 06:49 PM
Running On Empty

When I began college I lived with a friend of mine I'd known many years (went to H.S.) together. I decided to share the house he moved into - a renovated caboose cabin/house (Urbana, Illinois). They had these back in the day where those attending the trains stayed primarily in the caboose as signal men, but because they were on the road (tracks) for many days, they had these caboose cabins/houses they all shared for resting places.

He (Mark) had an Old English Sheep Dog (Stanley) - he was most likely six or seven years old. Mark NEVER trimmed Stanley's coat (hair). The dog could not lift his head any higher than its shoulder blades - a complete entanglement of knotted hair. Don't know how many times I told him to cut/trim his coat. Finally, I bought a used pair of hair clippers and one day when Mark was in class I went to town on Stanley. You never saw a dog run around, jump around, darting everywhere in so much glee. It was like he was reborn. Mark couldn't believe it. He was thankful, but couldn't believe how much energy Stanley now had.
Old May 5th, 2024, 07:36 PM

Kenneth - WHATEVER!
Interesting response. It’s on par with what I have historically heard from many golfers when discussing where the courses get their water.
Old May 5th, 2024, 07:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Interesting response. It’s on par with what I have historically heard from many golfers when discussing where the courses get their water.
Which was/is the intention of my response - it wasn't directed AT you, it was directed at exactly as you stated. On par with where any particular course obtains its water. There are a plethora of reasons where a golf course would obtain its water. I'd be willing to bet it's based primarily on geographic location. I've had this conversation w/ various GC superintendents - every single one of them are different.

If USGA puts their stamp on things it's for one reason only - to sell USGA. A better source is GCSAA which, you'd think USGA should be getting their data because USGA doesn't actually collect golf course water usage data, USGA will grab the data wherever they choose to make USGA appear they're "in-the-know" (I'm serious).

The most common sources of water, according to the report, were wells (32%) and lakes and ponds (23%). Less water was applied in 2020 from each water source than in 2005 except for recycled water, which accounted for 21% of water applied.
Golf courses reduce water usage by 29 percent according to national survey