1982 Toronado convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM

1982 Toronado convertible

I'm considering purchasing a 1982 Toronado convertible. I've done many searches on this vehicle and find very little information. The seller is asking $6000 and the car has a new top, black paint and spoked wire wheels. It seems to look and run great. Can anyone give me information on how many of these were made, What companies did the conversions and is the asking price fair. Is there any kind of demand for these cars. I'm not thinking of reselling it, but driving and enjoying the topdown experience. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I'm assuming from the lack of reponse that the toronado convertibles are not real common. Or maybe not desireable. If anyone has any information on these conversions, please let me know. Mainly if the price is to high. $5000-$6000.
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Old(s) Fart

The 82-85 Toro convertibles were built by what was then American Sunroof Corp of Lansing, MI. ASC since has changed their name to American Specialty Cars, to better reflect their ability to fabricate complete custom cars. Note that there is a company called West Coast American Sunroof Corp, which is apparently a spinoff but only does sunroof installations and repairs to convertible tops, not the custom fabrication that ASC is known for.

ASC built virtually all of the convertibles sold in the 1980s, including the original Fox-body Mustang convertibles (before Ford brought them back in-house) the Eldo and Riviera convertibles, the ASC McLaren Mustang, the third-gen Camaro/Firebird convertibles, Celica and Saab convertibles, and many others. All of these cars started as hardtops from the factory. ASC took delivery of the cars, engineered and installed structural reinforcements, removed the metal roof, and engineered and installed the folding top. More recently, ASC has done things like the folding hardtop for the Chevy SSR.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I purchased a 83 Riviera back in 85. It was used and it was priced at what a new 85 non convert. would be. Itwas/is a fun car but had many rattles and the doors would rock and rattle as if the chassis was twisting with road uneveness. This is my only complaint for such a high priced car when new. My car now has 53,000 miles on it and its in good condition....I feel sale value to be around 6G's.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM

loan_doctor@***.net

I have an 83 toronado convertible. It was custom converted by Hess & Eisenhardt. (They build the pres. armor limos and armor Humvees. They no longer do conv. conversions. My 83 is appraised for $ 19,700, has 32,000 miles and is all original white with white top. A Kansas Oldsmobile dealer had it made to use as a show car for his dealership. You can e-mail me at loan_doctor@***.net - john
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Hess & Eisenhardt Did the conversion of the toronado s for olds . go to www3.telus.net/toronado/history.html You will find some history there . I have a 1985 toronado convert by hess and eisenhardt that was made for the PGA in 1985 still in good shape . AS to the price they were asking it is a rare car and only about 1 or 200 were made