General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM

me too

Originally Posted by TMJohns
Personally, I love the full size cars - especially the 4 doors... Currently I've got a 67 Delmont 4 door "Town Sedan." I've had the car for a number of years, and it is a family favorite. While other cars have come and gone through my garage (including a couple of Advance Design Chevys, a Camaro convertible and Mustang convertible) the Olds has remained. I've had a few Cutlasses (My favorite was a 4 door sedan) which I've enjoyed, but my full size 88s and 98s, as well as a couple of full size Buicks, have been my favorites.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a sweet mid-sized 2 door hardtop, convertible and muscle car as much as the next guy (maybe even more), but when I want to simply enjoy driving and working on a car, nothing beats a full-size, 2 or 4 door Oldsmobile. And, while my dream garage includes a few semi-exotics, I'd simply love a 1955 88 4 Door Hardtop, or a 1962 98, or an original 72 98 Regency. Even the coupes I long for are full size, like a 62 Starfire or a last-generation RWD Delta 88 Coupe.

I know. Weird, huh?
not at all weird,is yours a "425 delmont" ?yours looks just like one i scrapped a year ago.saved some wheel opening trim and a molding or two.used the 425 in a 65 cutlass convertible
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Hello! My Delmont is a 330. It is a pretty basic car, including a factory "radio delete." I am the second owner - the original owner was from Sisters, Oregon; I obtained the car from his family when he quit driving. I enjoy the 330; it is clean and smooth and gets great mileage, and yet still has that special Olds V8 sound and feel.
Old November 27th, 2018, 02:12 PM

imo the 330 is no slouch
Old December 3rd, 2018, 04:35 PM

My pops new ride that I just posted on the Newbie Thread

1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Nice! Is there a faux aluminum panel painted on the side? What are the trim rings?

In other words, could I see a side shot of the car?
Old December 5th, 2018, 05:47 PM

Hello D. Yaros,

I bought the vehicle painted this way from the previous owner, and after seeing it in person for the first time I truly like the color combination. It seems as though the previous owner loved Starfire's as that's what I though it was when I first seen the "for sale" pictures posted. The color is a maroon-red with a gray stripe down the length of the vehicle, sort of like the color combination of a Starfire minus the moulding. Although I wanted a White 1962 Dynamic 88 just like the one my dad use to own, the price was just too good to pass up. Both my parents love this car and say it looks much better than just plain white.

Beers

Old December 6th, 2018, 05:51 AM

64 Olds 98

My recent purchase and entry into classic Oldsmobiles.
Old December 6th, 2018, 07:53 AM

^ Wow. Great color, great interior. What a dreamboat.
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:43 AM

Love that six-window style.
Old December 6th, 2018, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
^ Wow. Great color, great interior. What a dreamboat.
Thanks! I wish I could claim credit for that but it was done by a previous owner
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Beers
Hello D. Yaros,

I bought the vehicle painted this way from the previous owner, and after seeing it in person for the first time I truly like the color combination. Although I wanted a White 1962 Dynamic 88 just like the one my dad use to own, the price was just too good to pass up. Both my parents love this car and say it looks much better than just plain white.

Beers
Well the p.o. did a great job!
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:52 PM

A few more pictures of the 1962 Oldsmobile Dynamic as promised.

interior

Here is the engine bay after a week of cleaning and painting some parts satin black.
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:31 AM
golden rocket

dog gone! seems like everybody has a nicer looking "Big Girl" than mine. had posted some pictures in newbie forum (I think) last year. biggest problem is age and health issues slowing me down, and the cold weather, since we don't have room in the garage for it. (new houses have short garages, not made for real cars!) It really makes me happy to see these full size being taken care of.
Mike (golden rocket in posts) darksider 61 (I think, memory is second thing to go)
Old December 7th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by golden rocket
dog gone! seems like everybody has a nicer looking "Big Girl" than mine. had posted some pictures in newbie forum (I think) last year. biggest problem is age and health issues slowing me down, and the cold weather, since we don't have room in the garage for it. (new houses have short garages, not made for real cars!) It really makes me happy to see these full size being taken care of.
Mike (golden rocket in posts) darksider 61 (I think, memory is second thing to go)
I actually had to bring a tape measure with me when my wife and I were house-hunting back in 2004. If it didn't fit the Starfire, the house was immediately off the list. Often, we didn't even make it inside the house! In hindsight, I'm so glad that I employed this tactic, since my Enclave wouldn't have fit in many of those garages, either. It's only a few inches shorter than the old girl.
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:17 PM

64 Super 88 long as someone told me. 64000 miles. Sat in a field in Wyoming for 23 years.
Old December 9th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Phantom Phixer

Wyoming is a good place to find nice old cars .
Old December 9th, 2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Wyoming is a good place to find nice old cars .
it is dry 90% of the year like Colorado.
Old December 9th, 2018, 09:30 PM
72Cutlass S

Does a 74 Delta 88 convertible count as a darksider’s ride? There is one on craigslist that i am seriously considering.
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by gs72
Does a 74 Delta 88 convertible count as a darksider’s ride? There is one on craigslist that i am seriously considering.
Not really , because this thread is dedicated to 61 thru 70 .
But , you can start your own 71 -76 full size thread . I'm sure there are many more out there .
Convertibles of any sort are always a good investment . And prices are still low on 71-76 big cars .
I'd say go for it .
Old December 11th, 2018, 07:14 PM

Repro dash and seat covers

Hey
I was curious if anybody had any idea where to find these. It seems like I have looked everywhere .
64 88 Super 4D.

thanks!!
Old December 11th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by 644door
Hey
I was curious if anybody had any idea where to find these. It seems like I have looked everywhere .
64 88 Super 4D.

thanks!!
Nobody reproduces the dash pads . Probably not enough demand . Good used ones can be found and dyed the right color .
E-Bay is the best place to look . Don't let anyone tell you a '63 dash pad will fit . They won't .
Seat covers are about the same deal . However SMS fabrics re-produces the original pattern cloth and vinyl upholstery material ; https://smsautofabrics.com/
You would have to buy the yardage and get a local upholstery shop to make the covers .
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Phantom Phixer

Free download !

Yes , It's free to all classicoldsmobile members, ( as well as you lurkers too . )
The 1963 Oldsmobile Chassis and Body parts catalogs .
They cover all Oldsmobile parts available in 1963 . Coverage is complete for '61 thru '63 models . after that it tapers off , but coverage is pretty good on most items to 1956 There is some coverage on common items back to 1949 . There are even a few items for '41 thru 48 models .
Here are links to the threads where you can download these books in a PDF .

Chassis Parts Book ; https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...s-edition.html

Body Parts Book ;https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-edition.html

Many thanks to David Threet (68 Rocket Action ) for making these available on line .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; December 14th, 2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 15th, 2018, 01:27 AM

Thank you

Thank you Gentlemen
Old January 1st, 2019, 08:21 PM

I'll jump in on the "Darksider" thread with my '64 Starfire Convertible.

Old January 1st, 2019, 08:30 PM

Nice!
Old January 15th, 2019, 12:14 AM

Definitely a "Darksider'. Smooth and luxurious is far better than sporty. This is my Astro Blue 1970 98 LS Hardtop. Bought Cindy with 65K on the odometer. Funny coincidence she was originally purchased in Williamsport, PA, the town my wife was born in. We live in Washington State.

Last edited by smparr; January 15th, 2019 at 12:49 AM. Reason: More pictures
Old January 15th, 2019, 08:21 AM

Smile Interior photos please.

Originally Posted by smparr
Definitely a "Darksider'. Smooth and luxurious is far better than sporty. This is my Astro Blue 1970 98 LS Hardtop. Bought Cindy with 65K on the odometer. Funny coincidence she was originally purchased in Williamsport, PA, the town my wife was born in. We live in Washington State.

That is one fine looking 70 98. 69/70 98s are my favorite Oldsmobiles of all time along with the 80 to 84 98s. Let's see some interior photos too and a few photos of your 80 98.
Old January 15th, 2019, 01:16 PM

As requested, some interior and an engine. I'll send the 1980 Olds in a separate

post. I traded that back in 2000.
Old January 15th, 2019, 01:19 PM

And here's my old 1980 Olds 98, her name was Ginger. I also added two of my first car, an '84 Olds Delta 88.

Old January 15th, 2019, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the photos. That 98 looks to be just about loaded, except for power locks? I see the under dash 8 track, automatic air and the very rare split front seat only offered in the LS hardtop. Does it have the passenger power seat option? That was super rare. Here are a few photos of my 69 98 hardtop and my 69 98 LS sedan.

Old January 15th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Herbie,

Yes, it has the passenger power seat and tilt/telescopic steering with the rim blower horn. Strangely, no it does not have power door locks. I wish it did they would come in handy when the wife and kids ride. The Comfortron doesn't work, I rigged a switch under the dash for the blower so I could have heat and defrost and unplugged the compressor so I wouldn't wreck it without freon. I also had to replace the heater core, much fun. It hadn't been driven much in a long time when I got it from the second owner. He only drove it 600 miles in 7 years.
Your '69 is very nice as well, does it have the front bench with the tissue dispensers and mirror on the back? I always thought that was kinds cool. I also like how the headlights sit in the grill. Unfortunately, the 1970's headlights are one year only.

Steve
Old January 15th, 2019, 05:30 PM

Herbie, does yours have the gear shift wiper button?
Old January 15th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by 64_Olds_98_Holiday

My recent purchase and entry into classic Oldsmobiles.
Beautiful!! That is an amazing ride, enjoy her.
Old January 17th, 2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by smparr
Herbie, does yours have the gear shift wiper button?
The gear shift wiper button was new for 70 so my 69s would not have it. My 70 98 convertible does have it. The 69 LS does have that big bench seat with the folding makeup mirror and tissue holders with the lamp and those grab handles which I love. If someone was ordering a New LS in 69 or 70, it would be a very tough call on either having the bench seat with all those goodies behind the seat or having the split seat which deletes all those extras in the seat although seat back storage pouches came with the split seat which are kind of nice too. I have one example of all the 69 98s available, a convertible, a coupe, a 4 door hardtop and my favorite, the top of the line Luxury Sedan.
Old January 18th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Phantom Phixer

Roster update

For the first 70 Darksiders see post #333
71 - mendo
72 - 70chevrolet
73 - 455Dave
74 - sysmg
75 - stainless
76 - Sydwaiz
77 - Evil
78 - nspec
79 - 2blu442
80 - 395 Flash
81 - Delmont 1968
82 - TMJohns
83 - Beers
84 - 64 Olds 98 Holiday
85 - 644door
86 - Lonnies Performance
87 - smparr
Old January 24th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Jeff

All,
I'm going to be putting my '64 Starfire up for sale in the spring. Putting the word out now in case anyone is interested. I actually don't have a lot of pics other than what is already in the album on my profile, so I won't bother putting any in this particular post. When spring rolls around and I'm able to take her out of the garage, I'll take better pics and put a formal ad up in the Classifieds section. Attached pic is window sticker listing all the options. I suppose the correct description would be that it is a survivor, unrestored, engine and trans never been pulled to my knowledge. I have owned it since '98. Paint is 20 footer quality, as there are some rust spots that had been previously sanded, treated, and rattle-canned. I am going to try wet sanding and making those particular spots look better in the spring.

The a/c is non-operable, but is all there. I have never tried charging it, but I would think that it probably has a leak or two in the system somewhere. It was non-op when I purchased. I will be putting a new back window in the top, but the motor/pump is currently non-op as well. I plan to pull it out, rebuild, and see if that corrects the problem.

I would appreciate honest feedback regarding what you feel is the value of the car. I know it's always tough to say without good pics, but it has no rust issues other than surface rust. I'm not sure why one of the previous owners felt it necessary to mess up the spot on the window sticker that told where it was delivered to, but I do have the Protect-o-Plate that I will post photos of, as well as the cowl tag, etc. Perhaps this post would be better off having it's own thread, but starting here in the Darksiders group first for feedback.

Old January 24th, 2019, 10:58 AM

I'll be following this closely as I have one also. Not quite sure what an accurate value is due to the rarity of this model.
I do not trust price guides for cars rarely sold as the results can be somewhat dated or lacking enough data for a good average representation.

You do seem to have quite a few options on the car.
Old January 24th, 2019, 02:22 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I'll be following this closely as I have one also. Not quite sure what an accurate value is due to the rarity of this model.
I do not trust price guides for cars rarely sold as the results can be somewhat dated or lacking enough data for a good average representation.

You do seem to have quite a few options on the car.
Yours presents much nicer than mine, that's for certain.
Old January 24th, 2019, 04:20 PM

Prices on 64 Starfires

Originally Posted by Weezer
Yours presents much nicer than mine, that's for certain.
In full disclosure, I am not a dealer, so will not pretend to be an expert on determining what a reasonable asking price is for your 1964 Starfire convertible. What I can share is what I have observed from the variety of classic car sites that are readily available on the internet. I typically look at 5-6 classic car websites and cruise Craigslist 2 to 3 times a month to drool and just enjoy all the different Oldsmobile's out there.

In "asks" I have seen for 1961-1966 Starfires, not too surprising, 1961's by far the highest, typically in the $35,000 to $90,000 range. Interestingly, 1961 Super 88 Convertibles seem to be in about the same lower range and top out around $55,000. 1962 Starfire's seem to have the next highest asking prices, at least with convertibles, being in the $35,000 to $60,000 range. For 1962 hard tops, there is a pretty big drop off, ranging form $15,000 to $40,000. Working AC makes a big difference in what a person will ask for a hard top (does not seem to be a factor for convertibles). This is followed by the 1963 and 1964's with asking prices for convertibles being into the $20,000 to $35,000 range. Prices for 1963 and 1964 hard tops seem to fall in the $15,000 to $30,000 with AC cars again bringing a higher ask. As a side note, 1964 Jetstar 1's (all hard tops) seem to have a higher asking price than Starfires (lower quality, but fewer of them out there). 1965 convertibles appear to be in the $18,000 to $30,000 range, with couples being a little lower (almost all 1965 hard tops I have seen for sale have AC, which may be why the drop off on the hardtop ask is not as much compared the 1965 convertible). There was no1966 Starfire convertibles, but the 1966 Starfire hard top seem to be the low man on the totem pole as far as the asking price, just below the 1965 hard tops. Finally, I have no clue what the asking price for a 1965 Jetstar 1 would be--have not seen one for sale over the past 3 years. The 1965 Jetstar 1's really are the rarest of the 1964-65 models. As for rarity goes, over past 3 years, I have seen on average 5-6 1963 or 1964 convertibles for sale on the internet at any given time, with a similar number of hard tops of the same model year. Also, what I have here are internet asking prices...I have no clue what actual selling prices are (people don't tell you that). Since there are a fair number of comparable cars out on the internet at any one time (some private, some dealers), you may be able to get a feel for what people are asking for a car of similar condition to yours. Hope this helps.
Old January 25th, 2019, 01:13 PM

I have seen a few for sale over the years, but no confirmed purchase prices.

There were only 2,410 convertibles made in '64 so they are rather rare.
I once heard there were less than 200 still registered at this time, but can no longer find where I saw this.

I would expect AC on a convertible to be even rarer as options go.
Mine does not have AC, tilt or cruise, but has the other options you listed with the exception of power wing windows.

Nice ones seemed to top out in the upper 30's with the $20-35K range stated above to be pretty accurate.

Good luck with the sale.

Quick Reply: 61-70 Big Cars, "Darksiders" unite !