Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Great to see it done, I'll add another atta boy, great job Richard!
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:15 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by OKIEOLDS
What olds show would that be?,,,I would really like to see that ride in person, maybe pickup a few parts for mine while I am there. Sounds like a good time.
I take back. Its in October......

OCA South Central Zone Show
The Zone Show dates and location have been determined.
Dates: October 16 through October 18 at the Marriott Hotel just
across from the
Texas Motor Speedway on Hwy.114. We will
also have a scheduled Zone Show Drag Race event at the 1/8

mile
North Star Drag Strip in Denton.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM

wow what a trip...

Congrats richard and thanks for the great ride ( on your thread ) from beginning to the present stage ( it never really ends) I have truly enjoyed this thread!!! she looks great...
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Richard:

The car is awesome. I see you are out cruising on I-30 heading west. I will be looking for you in Rowlett. Where was the parking lot where you took the pictures. I am starting to get caught up on some things and hope to see you soon. Are you starting on the other car now?
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Read this thread a bunch of times end to end and just realized I forgot to say

OUTSTANDING WORK Richard!!!

Want to come to CO and help me redo my car? You could seriously go into business doing this man....
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM
GM Enthusiast

As others have stated Richard, great job! I have learned a lot from your thread. So tell us, how does she drive?
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM

You did a really nice job on your car. I have enjoyed your thread and look forward to your 455 build in the future. I have learned alot from you sharing your project. Thanks.
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Great to see it done, I'll add another atta boy, great job Richard!
Thanks Eric

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Congrats richard and thanks for the great ride ( on your thread ) from beginning to the present stage ( it never really ends) I have truly enjoyed this thread!!! she looks great...
No they are never done. Already brain storming a motor so I can tear it back apart. LOL

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Richard:

The car is awesome. I see you are out cruising on I-30 heading west. I will be looking for you in Rowlett. Where was the parking lot where you took the pictures. I am starting to get caught up on some things and hope to see you soon. Are you starting on the other car now?
That was at the Sewell Pontiac GMC car show last weekend. Next up is get the garage / shop in order

Originally Posted by Omicron
Read this thread a bunch of times end to end and just realized I forgot to say

OUTSTANDING WORK Richard!!!

Want to come to CO and help me redo my car? You could seriously go into business doing this man....
Thanks...In the future I plan on doing some small projects for people but its tough to live off this kind of work.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
As others have stated Richard, great job! I have learned a lot from your thread. So tell us, how does she drive?
I've been a few trips in my car but the trip I took Sunday night sealed the deal for me. I took 2 neighbors who are not car people at all, my wife and my daughter on about a 70 mile trip on some curvy 2 lane farm roads. Many long sweeping curves and some tighter ones were rated 30-45 MPH. There was not a curve I did not take 15-20 MPH over the recommended speed. The car fully loaded with people did not even flinch pushing that fast around the curves. Both my neighbors just could not imagine an old car could ride and drive so well. My mission is accomplished.

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
You did a really nice job on your car. I have enjoyed your thread and look forward to your 455 build in the future. I have learned alot from you sharing your project. Thanks.
It will be a little while but I have some good ideas for the motor build.
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Richard,

Great to see you behind the wheel, enjoying your car! All of us appreciate and applaud, the amount of time, effort, and expense that has gone into getting you where you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well Done!

Les
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Another standing ovation here Richard! Well done! She is beautiful. Perfect timing to have her ready for summer. Now is the time to enjoy the magnificent work of art you created. Again, a job well done and have fun enjoying the newest member of your family.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM

sweet eye candy

I had a question for you regarding my 1967 can I switch out the front headlight casings from my year 1967 to a 1966 so I don't have the blinker separating the two head lights?? and what size wheels do you have on that thing I wanted to put 20's but everyone of my buddy's says that's a disgrace to that car, but your just looks great with the wheels you have. One really curious 1967 owner that's all thanks for your time
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 442garage
Richard,

Great to see you behind the wheel, enjoying your car! All of us appreciate and applaud, the amount of time, effort, and expense that has gone into getting you where you can finally enjoy the fruits of your labor. Well Done!

Les
Originally Posted by JSGD1966
Another standing ovation here Richard! Well done! She is beautiful. Perfect timing to have her ready for summer. Now is the time to enjoy the magnificent work of art you created. Again, a job well done and have fun enjoying the newest member of your family.
Thanks guys....I have really been enjoying driving the **** out of it the last few weeks. You would be amazed at how many bugs you can get in a new radiator in 300 miles

Originally Posted by soldier4christ67oldss
I had a question for you regarding my 1967 can I switch out the front headlight casings from my year 1967 to a 1966 so I don't have the blinker separating the two head lights?? and what size wheels do you have on that thing I wanted to put 20's but everyone of my buddy's says that's a disgrace to that car, but your just looks great with the wheels you have. One really curious 1967 owner that's all thanks for your time
Not a fan of 20's on this body style. Mine are 18 x 9 front 18 x 10 rear. If I did it again I would do 18 x 8.5 front. I have a very slight wheel to control arm clearance problem at full lock. 18/18 or 18/19 is just right but you can't just hope down to Discount Tire and slap some in stock wheels on just because they bolt on.

Wheel / tire combo can make or break a car and I see lots of broken cars

As for 66 parts you need core suport, hood, grill, headlight bezels, headlight mounting brackets and bumper to switch out the light look you want. Not really worth it IMO

Wecome again to the board.
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:30 AM

WOW!
Car looks great - especially on the road! Good pictures! It looks like you got it on the road the day I left on vacation...
Your attention to detail paid off in a big way, I would be prouder than hell, especially when driving it!
I need to drop by and take a look in person - pics cannot show all the details. I may need to twist your arm for a ride...
I can't wait until after my suspension redo takes place in a couple years; I will use some of your techniques for sure.
Again, congrats to you and enjoy the drive!

BTW, have you stopped grinning yet?
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
WOW!
I need to drop by and take a look in person - pics cannot show all the details. I may need to twist your arm for a ride...
make sure its in the daylight...car has the ability to outdrive its headlights on the dark country roads

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
BTW, have you stopped grinning yet?
no
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Hope the grin stays there. Now you can start thinking about the 455 winter project for next summers fun. Bet you little girl wants to go for a ride every time daddy gets in the car. Great times are ahead for you for sure.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Thumbs up

Being that I have restored a 65 442, I know the pains you went through, although mine was all stock. But in the late 1980's it was hard to get parts. Your restoration and modifications are outstanding. I hope to see this Olds in person sometime.

Congrats on a job well done.
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by mox-ct
Being that I have restored a 65 442, I know the pains you went through, although mine was all stock. But in the late 1980's it was hard to get parts. Your restoration and modifications are outstanding. I hope to see this Olds in person sometime.

Congrats on a job well done.
Thanks for the props. After seeing some of the cars I did at the PPG nationals last weekend I am about ready to take it all apart and start over LOL
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM

I've had the pleasure of meeting Richard and seeing this ride at Good Guys in Columbus. Nice guy and the car looks just as good in person.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:04 AM
car guy

Thanks Chris. It was nice meeting you at the show.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Nice job on the brake calipers! Very nice touch!

Ken Russ
Fenton, MI

Last edited by kruss77; August 19th, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by kruss77
Nice job on the brake calipers! Very nice touch!

Ken Russ
Fenton, MI
Thank you Ken
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:49 AM

I should have also mentioned that I'm very impressed with what you've done with your car overall! As I'd mentioned in my NEWBY post (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/15625-new-olds-site-user-new-olds-car-admirer.html) there's a guy near me that has a car similar to yours (at-least I thinks it's a mid-60's Olds). It's an awesome looking car (and sounds good, too), which is what inspired me to start scrounging around the internet trying to figure out exactly what it is. During the process, I came across your car, and that led me here! Long story short, I’m impressed with your restoration (the brake upgrade is excellent and I think the wheels are the crowning touch that really sets this car apart from the rest). Having just finished upgrading the brakes on my ’92 Z28, I’m especially interested in brake upgrade projects!

BTW, the rear suspension setup on your car is very interesting. How does it perform?
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM

WOW
Just found your build pic's. VERY NICE
Can you please give us the info on your wheel choice??
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
car guy

I should have also mentioned that I'm very impressed with what you've done with your car overall! As I'd mentioned in my NEWBY post (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/15625-new-olds-site-user-new-olds-car-admirer.html) there's a guy near me that has a car similar to yours (at-least I thinks it's a mid-60's Olds). It's an awesome looking car (and sounds good, too), which is what inspired me to start scrounging around the internet trying to figure out exactly what it is. During the process, I came across your car, and that led me here! Long story short, I’m impressed with your restoration (the brake upgrade is excellent and I think the wheels are the crowning touch that really sets this car apart from the rest). Having just finished upgrading the brakes on my ’92 Z28, I’m especially interested in brake upgrade projects!

BTW, the rear suspension setup on your car is very interesting. How does it perform?
Thanks again Ken. It handles very well.

Originally Posted by AZ442
WOW
Just found your build pic's. VERY NICE
Can you please give us the info on your wheel choice??
Thanks AZ442...the wheels are Intro V-rods 18 x 10 and 18 x 9 but they only come full polished. I did the paint accents myself.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM

Very nice! It takes alot of talent and patience to pull of such a nice build in a short time frame. Can't wait to see the 455!
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM

OMG I love this car its perfect i was wondering kinda how my 18's are gonna look on my 88 how much of a drop did you go with?
Old September 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

Richard,

Like your new sig pic. I need to find that for the back of my car!
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:27 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by toddluck
OMG I love this car its perfect i was wondering kinda how my 18's are gonna look on my 88 how much of a drop did you go with?
Thanks welcome to the site.
Did not really measure how much. Just got it down as low as I could and still be driveable. I am about 5" from crossmember to ground in front. On you full size you might want to consider a 19/20 or 20/20 combo. Big wheels on the full size just look right especially if you think you might bag it. If I built a full size it would be bagged for sure.

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Richard,

Like your new sig pic. I need to find that for the back of my car!
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:52 AM

Richard:

Do you have any photos of the brakes (fronts & rears) installed without the wheels on?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM
car guy

Richard:

Do you have any photos of the brakes (fronts & rears) installed without the wheels on?
I am not sure if I do. I will look in my pic folder.
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM
car guy

Slight change ready for Goodguys this weekend. I think the red looks much better than the orange.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Past Administrator

There's dust on your upper radiator hose .

That engine looks soooo clean I just had to ping it on something. Hope you enjoy the GoodGuys event.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM

This is an awesome, inspiring thread - good work on that Cutlass - looks awesome!
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM

That car turned out great. That looks like what I am going to do to this Vista Cruiser I am doing. I hope it turns out as well and detailed as your car.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Slight change ready for Goodguys this weekend. I think the red looks much better than the orange.

Old November 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 70vista
That car turned out great. That looks like what I am going to do to this Vista Cruiser I am doing. I hope it turns out as well and detailed as your car.
Originally Posted by wjustinmartin
This is an awesome, inspiring thread - good work on that Cutlass - looks awesome!
thanks guys.....

everyone stay tuned to the thread early next year there may be another "last picture of it together for a while"
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ben

Hey richard
Could you give me the dims on your suburban radiator?
Do you know what year range it came out of?

Wondering if the one in the 1980 2500 4x4 i'm getting stuff from this weekend would fit in my 66.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Hey richard
Could you give me the dims on your suburban radiator?
Do you know what year range it came out of?

Wondering if the one in the 1980 2500 4x4 i'm getting stuff from this weekend would fit in my 66.
Its a specific part# that fits from Autozone. I think it was an 87 Suburban but there is 3-4 posibilities and only one fits. I will try to dig up the part#
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Well Richard
A great thread!!!!! Got Chris's in upholstery shop getting converted from original and very old parchment to an all black semi custom. Hope it turns out ok!!
Eric
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM

You're work is beautiful and so is your car!! GREAT JOB!!!!!
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well Richard
A great thread!!!!! Got Chris's in upholstery shop getting converted from original and very old parchment to an all black semi custom. Hope it turns out ok!!
Eric
good to here I have never been a fan.. looking forward to seeing the pics

Originally Posted by HolidayCoupe
You're work is beautiful and so is your car!! GREAT JOB!!!!!
Thanks... I can't wait to get my shed finished and shop organized so I can take it apart again

Quick Reply: Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)