1970 w30

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2022, 03:38 PM
NY69W30

1970 w30

Good afternoon all,

I'm coming to the thread today with a find I'm sure at least one of you has came across in your online travels. Amidst my endless searches I've came across what appears to be an all original 1970 442 W-30 car with 60k original miles and all factory goody parts except the original Quadrajet. The car, originally matador red with white stripes and white interior was an automatic car with, factory A/C, outside sport mirrors, W-30 package, ram air hood, sport steering wheel and red inner fender wells. Its mostly solid, except for the usual spots of rust, drivers side floor pan, wheel lips, lower fender and lower quarter patches, inner hood liner needs replacing at the tongue. Knowing this and after seeing the under carriage shots, the car will definitely need a total restoration. It has been sitting for 25 years and the owner states that the car does indeed still run. The person selling the car (which will remain anonymous) has provided me with several pictures, some I will attach below. Including matching vin stamp on the block to the vin tag, F stamp on both heads, transmission tag, along with rear end tag, ram air intake, aluminum intake manifold, original dealer paperwork with breakdown of options ordered with the car along with sales receipt and total paid by original owner. etc. The reason for this post, is everyone's professional opinion. He's asking 35k and is almost non negotiable with the price, is this really what it is worth? Understanding that all rare, hens teeth parts are still with the car but knowing that it needs a total restoration the total cost would be near 60-65k into it by the time its purchased and completed the right way. Any information or insight you all may have would be greatly appreciated.

Old July 6th, 2022, 04:15 PM

Not many pictures of the rust or rot which could be costly. If you consider a total restoration which is body off and going through everything, sorcing NOS or OEM parts especially sheet metal is costly. Then you have to pay someone to actually do all this work unless you plan on doing it? Ballpark, a total frame off would be at least 80-100K on top of 35K. Would the car be worth 115-135K? Maybe? If you go by what a 70 W30 sold for recently at Mecum then yeah. The wild card is the market and everything is a crap shoot right now.
Old July 6th, 2022, 04:16 PM

I'm no expert on W-30's but from what I've seen It you could put it together for that I think you would be well ahead of the game. Probably way ahead. They are getting crazy money for some of these cars now and proper documentation will bring you a whole lot of money. That's really typical rust and fairly easy fix. I did think I had heard you couldn't get AC with them due to the cam but that might be the W-31. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses here from folks that really know the details. Hope it works out for you.
Steve
Old July 6th, 2022, 04:26 PM

No ac with a 4 spd W30
Old July 6th, 2022, 04:35 PM

AHA, I thought there was something about that. Thanks for the correction/info.
Old July 6th, 2022, 04:55 PM
NY69W30

Thank you for the replies so far, no doubt there will be a copious amount of money to be spent to return the car to better than its original form. I more or less am just concerned with the initial cost of the car and if you all think it’s reasonably priced, being in an unrestored “bar find” if you will condition. All rust repair and finish bodywork will be done by others. I will try and post a few more pictures of the exterior of the car tomorrow that were sent to maybe give a better idea, it is by no means in awful shape. Also, I forgot to mention that it was ordered with the rear wing and it is still on the car.
Old July 6th, 2022, 05:43 PM

That car has been on the market for at least 2 years. I traded several emails with him back then and there is rust on virtually every body panel including windshield and back glass channels. Significant amount of body work needed and who knows really what is left of the frame. If you are serious take a knowledgeable professional body man to look at the car.....if he will let you see it before money trades hands.

Good Luck with that....
tc
Old July 6th, 2022, 06:00 PM
NY69W30

Thank you TC. Now that you mention it I haven’t received pictures of the front and rear glass channels. I appreciate the bit of background on the car, and the extensive rust issues that come with it. Pictures can sure hide a lot.
Old July 6th, 2022, 08:03 PM

I think you are underestimating a restoration cost on a car that needs everything. If you are doing all the work I could say maybe the car plus 25k but but if you are hiring body work out the paint alone will run 20k plus weld time as required. Then the engine, trans, rear end, interior. Interiors run 3500-5000 plus labor depending on the kit.
if you are looking for yourself and have the time then it might be worth it.
if it’s a flip job I’m sure you can break even or make some money but a lot of time before the return.
AC W30 cars have higher flowing heads and a few tweaks extra to the trans but really are no performance gains over a W25 442 with AC. I believe they even run the same cam in 70 and both run 3:23 rears as max steep for the AC
a manual trans W30 is another story though.

I don’t see the value in an Auto AC W30 but I’m big picture, for me unique is not always better…

there are clearly better buys unless that is the car you have always wanted.
I just picked up its cousin last year( see my thread) Matador red AC 442. It is a Alabama completely rust free original sheet metal car with original block, not trans. 3:23 rear and all paperwork from single family ownership.
25k plus I just sunk another 8500 into the W30 intake, and complete factory W25 hood and air cleaner. All in for 35k with wheels. So to me the W30 in question is not worth the 35k but that’s just my thoughts.
Can you elaborate on what you want out of the car?
Old July 6th, 2022, 08:13 PM

You might want to check on this one, claims numbers matching..and driving for 60k

Old July 6th, 2022, 08:30 PM
Banned

Buy it and mothball it.
Old July 6th, 2022, 08:40 PM

Those photos are dated 2008, I-would definitely want high res current photos. 35k needing almost every panel with rust remediation is high in my opinion. If it was a 4 speed car that may be closer to value.. if you farm out the body work and paint your easily looking at 35-40k to properly fix all the rust etc and paint the car.. so your in it easily 70 plus andyou haven’t touched mechanicals,interior or suspension. Your money, your choice but take a serious body guy with you for a real assessment. I gave 42k for a 4 speed fully doc’ed car 1.5 years ago, but it was in way way better condition throughout the whole car..this car would be a labor of love and want, not an investment..I don’t see the return..people see big numbers at auction but those are mainly concourse restored cars.. its 130k plus to do that at a high end shop.

Last edited by Andy; July 6th, 2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old July 6th, 2022, 09:05 PM
Banned

I agree that 35k is a reach. So many people trying to take advantage of the Oldsmobile market these days. A true documented W car with all the important parts means a lot. 35 grand worth? 🤔
Old July 7th, 2022, 02:27 AM
NY69W30

I appreciate all the additional responses everyone. This car is by no means the car of my dreams, I was just shocked to come across a car that claimed to be a survivor in the current market where it seems you can’t find any W car unless it’s already been restored. What did surprise me was the price the guy is demanding, and by the sounds I’m underestimating the restoration cost as well. I thought if the car could be bought right it would be worth it to add to the collection, but at the price he wants it’s almost not bearing any return on investment once complete. Especially considering the market volatility right now. The other car sent for sale looks like a nice find, but ideally if I was looking to restore one I’d like to have a manual trans car and I understand they would be even more money but the return on investment would likely be better. Thanks again for all the replies and insight from within the industry on this car.
Old July 7th, 2022, 03:41 PM

For me personally, WITH THE CONDITION IT'S IN, for $35K, it would also need to be a 4sp, factory air car. Otherwise, as already pointed out, it needs a boatload of work!
Old July 7th, 2022, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
For me personally, WITH THE CONDITION IT'S IN, for $35K, it would also need to be a 4sp, factory air car. Otherwise, as already pointed out, it needs a boatload of work!
No 1970 w30 4 speed ac cars built.
Old July 7th, 2022, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
No 1970 w30 4 speed ac cars built.
That is correct, but 4sp and AC would be mandatory for me.

My original owner (me) 76 S factory 5sp and AC, which is now a "built" W30 and Richmond 5sp is just a great ride, and I'm spoiled.

Old July 16th, 2022, 06:25 PM

10 to 12,000 just for a proper paint job if you can find someone to do it. Also supply chain issues.
Old July 16th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Strad
10 to 12,000 just for a proper paint job if you can find someone to do it. Also supply chain issues.
You might get it painted for that After you spend 50k to 75K on rust repair.