442 holiday special

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2017, 06:57 PM

442 holiday special

what is the difference between a holiday coupe holiday special? Was the 442 made in a holiday model?
Old April 30th, 2017, 07:00 PM

442 holiday special

what is the difference between a holiday coupe and a holiday special? Was the 442 made in a holiday model or just the cutlass?
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ERIC1983
what is the difference between a holiday coupe and a holiday special? Was the 442 made in a holiday model or just the cutlass?
I merged your two identical posts into a single thread.

"Holiday Coupe" is Oldsmobile's marketing name for a 2dr hardtop body.

"Holiday Sedan" is the marketing name for a 4dr hardtop body.

"Holiday Special" was not used by Oldsmobile

Depending on the model year, the 442 could be had in Holiday Coupe (2dr HT), Sport Coupe (2dt post coupe), or convertible body styles.
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:28 PM

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/6101372610.html

I am going to check this out sometime this weekend and I want to do my research before I pay a visit. I had never heard of a "Holiday Special" so I was unsure what this guy was referring to. I will be curious to see the VIN#.
Old May 1st, 2017, 06:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/6101372610.html

I am going to check this out sometime this weekend and I want to do my research before I pay a visit. I had never heard of a "Holiday Special" so I was unsure what this guy was referring to. I will be curious to see the VIN#.

Asking price is about twice what that car is worth.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Asking price is about twice what that car is worth.
I agree, I would have to drop quite a bit into over the years, but I want the project. I wont pay higher than 2 for it. Plus I don't come across many 69 442s that would be a good project. Everything I find are either early 70s or early 80s, and then if I do find a 69 it's a cutlass or a 442 clone.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:44 PM
Hookers under Hood

I would likely buy it for 2k if it were me and could be had for that price, I've always liked the 68-72 body styles.
It would be a nice project if that's what your after, If you do pick it up and save it be sure to keep us updated with pics.

Eric
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:50 PM

I'd be concerned about the condition of the frame. I know what Illinois winters do to metal , and that thing looks like it has plenty of hidden cancer.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I'd be concerned about the condition of the frame. I know what Illinois winters do to metal , and that thing looks like it has plenty of hidden cancer.
Claims it's been covered and stored away from the elements. I'll know more when I look at it in person. Other than checking the floorboards, trunk and door liners, are there other tell tale signs for a tweaked frame?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I would likely buy it for 2k if it were me and could be had for that price, I've always liked the 68-72 body styles.
It would be a nice project if that's what your after, If you do pick it up and save it be sure to keep us updated with pics.

Eric
yes definitely looking for a fixer upper and would be more than happy to keep updates with pics. I am new to this as this will be my first project car. I'm not looking for high resell value, just strictly love the 69 442
Old May 2nd, 2017, 06:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Claims it's been covered and stored away from the elements.
What does that mean, exactly? A cover keeps moisture in, and if it was stored over upaved ground, that just means the bottom is rusted out. I see major holes in the floor, and the quarter panel rust is obvious. Expect major rust in the pinchwelds around the windshield and back window.

The bigger problem is the fact that this car has been completely screwed with by someone who had no clue. Yeah, you can get a repro front bumper, but the missing brackets and support struts are only available used. Core support has been bashed in. Incorrect seats, console, and steering wheel are expensive to replace (Correct A-body buckets go for stupid money). A 350 was not factory installed in a 442. It appears that half the fasteners, wiring, and plumbing are missing.

Expect to spend well over $20K to turn this into a car worth $15K.

Oh, and that's never stopped me before, either...
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:05 AM

What does that mean, exactly? A cover keeps moisture in, and if it was stored over upaved ground, that just means the bottom is rusted out. I see major holes in the floor, and the quarter panel rust is obvious. Expect major rust in the pinchwelds around the windshield and back window.

The bigger problem is the fact that this car has been completely screwed with by someone who had no clue. Yeah, you can get a repro front bumper, but the missing brackets and support struts are only available used. Core support has been bashed in. Incorrect seats, console, and steering wheel are expensive to replace (Correct A-body buckets go for stupid money). A 350 was not factory installed in a 442. It appears that half the fasteners, wiring, and plumbing are missing.

Expect to spend well over $20K to turn this into a car worth $15K.

Oh, and that's never stopped me before, either...
i know the engine isn't the original, and I do see myself spending atleast 20 on this over the next 5-10 years. Although I do want something to restore which will have some value to it.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:42 AM

Best advice in this hobby:

"Buy the best best body and frame you can. It is always cheaper and better in the long run"

"Buy as complete a car as you can. Missing parts are hard to find and very expensive, especially in one year only models"
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM

One thing I have run across when pulling parts is the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame. The box looked fine and so did the frame for the most part, but the bolts almost snapped because they were so rusted out and narrowed.
If you do pick this up, plan on a TOTAL tear down. Make sure that you inspect EVERYTHING because damage can hide in unexpected and very hidden areas.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:57 PM

One thing I have run across when pulling parts is the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame. The box looked fine and so did the frame for the most part, but the bolts almost snapped because they were so rusted out and narrowed.
If you do pick this up, plan on a TOTAL tear down. Make sure that you inspect EVERYTHING because damage can hide in unexpected and very hidden areas.
I was planning on it.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Best advice in this hobby:

"Buy the best best body and frame you can. It is always cheaper and better in the long run"

"Buy as complete a car as you can. Missing parts are hard to find and very expensive, especially in one year only models"
good to know, I do realize this would be a MAJOR overhaul. Still debating as to whether or not it's worth it. The more I talk with people the more I'm thinking this car is not even worth 2K. But I do want a good fixer upper and a challenge.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:36 PM

good to know, I do realize this would be a MAJOR overhaul. Still debating as to whether or not it's worth it. The more I talk with people the more I'm thinking this car is not even worth 2K. But I do want a good fixer upper and a challenge.
The only thing that might be worth anything on that car is the rear end and the swaybar, but not $2,000 worth.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:47 PM

I merged your two identical posts into a single thread.

"Holiday Coupe" is Oldsmobile's marketing name for a 2dr hardtop body.

"Holiday Sedan" is the marketing name for a 4dr hardtop body.

"Holiday Special" was not used by Oldsmobile

Depending on the model year, the 442 could be had in Holiday Coupe (2dr HT), Sport Coupe (2dt post coupe), or convertible body styles.
So if he is calling it a "holiday special" could it be that this guy just doesn't know what he's talking about?
Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:52 PM

The only thing that might be worth anything on that car is the rear end and the swaybar, but not $2,000 worth.
agreed. yeah the more i hear back from people, I don't know if this is something I should pursue or not, as much as i want to, I may just be patient for something a little nicer to come along.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 05:25 PM
Hookers under Hood

So if he is calling it a "holiday special" could it be that this guy just doesn't know what he's talking about?
Maybe he's going to put it on special for the may 24 long holiday weekend

I would agree the body and interior parts would be the biggest challenge and expense, engines you can always find a decent used one here if needed. The centre console is out of a 76-77 Cutlass, it may be worth a look and knock his price way down. It doesn't look like it sat on the grass from the rear end pic. But.. It all depends on how puncky it is, bring a small ball peen hammer with you and give everything a good tap.

Would you listen to Joe P talking haha, he's spend more money on :"Cars" then I would earn in my lifetime LOL. Put-r-ther Joe!!

I can't say much either, because I bought my rotted out 76 for $850.00 and put about $23k into it to date LOL. I'd be lucky to get 5K on a really good day haha. But that's because of my Wife's choice of colour
However my wife and I really enjoy it, that's what makes it OK.

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Good luck with your decision either way, I wish you all the best in your search.

Eric

Last edited by 76olds; May 2nd, 2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: console
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
The center console is out of a 73-77 Cutlass
FTFY

They used that console for 4 years. I have seen one in a 73 442 and I had one in a 75 Cutlass S (that poor car....260....what a god awful engine) as well as a 76 Cutlass Salon.