66 OAI ducting clamps

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2022, 07:05 PM

66 OAI ducting clamps

Can someone please tell me the difference between the 66-67 and 68-69 OAI ducting clamps that mount on the wheel wells.
A couple of the Olds parts and Resto places sell what they describe as 68-69 only.

Old June 7th, 2022, 04:42 AM

There is no difference.
Old June 7th, 2022, 07:56 AM

Another repurposed part that GM used. Anybody know where this part was used other than OAI hose placement?
Old June 7th, 2022, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I talked with a sales guy on the phone and he insisted that there was a difference betwixt the two. Although he could not tell me what that difference was. In fact he admitted he’d never seen one from a 66.
it would be nice if people had an idea of what they are selling.
Old June 7th, 2022, 10:58 AM

I bought a set to compare with the ones i have on my 67 against 66 clamps and there the same. Only difference is they might have to be spread a hair
Old June 7th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Another repurposed part that GM used. Anybody know where this part was used other than OAI hose placement?
Yes correct. I used to know what it was used for.
Old June 7th, 2022, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
Yes correct. I used to know what it was used for.
It was used on the A.I.R. system. It held some kind of can/filter/etc.
Old June 7th, 2022, 10:37 PM

GM reused stuff all the time. Never noticed this one before.

My ‘66 98 was delivered with the ‘66 CA-only K-19 air injection emissions option. This clamp, or one very similar, held the K-19 air filter to the Air Cleaner. I think I still have it under my house just in case CA forces me to put the emissions stuff back on.

In 2020, I used 2 of these clamps to build an roll-yer-own OAI kit on my ‘66 Starfire. If you don’t look too close, it’s factory-ish. But I’m not trying to fool anyone. For the functional, but fake OAI, I used 2 of these clamps to hold the 4” diameter cloth hoses in place as Olds did back in the Pleistocene era of the 1960’s. For safety I cut & fit 2 springs to hold the cloth tubes in place, but they’re not critical, they just look right to me.

Net net, I guess the 1966 K-19 air filter housing and later OAI hoses were the same diameter. Someone long ago figured out GM already had the correct size tooling, it was just a matter of redeploying something they already manufactured for a new purpose.

Well done, GM engineers!

Chris
Old June 10th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Restorer

My 67 Fremont 442 has A.I.R. and uses this clamp to hold the filter that feeds into the smog pump.
Old June 10th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Interesting about your 67 442 built in Fremont. My 66 was built there and sold in California. It was exempt from smog because it was a 4 speed. Is yours an automatic ?
Old June 10th, 2022, 03:18 PM

My ‘66 98 for CA was built in Lansing and had the K-19 air injection system. I wasn’t aware hat 4 speed cars were exempt from CA smog rules. Interesting if true.

Chris
Old June 10th, 2022, 04:47 PM

So back in about 91 or 92 California started making all cars made after 65 or 64 (when ever they started putting smog stuff on) do a smog check to register the vehicle. This was a visual and functional test.
So I bring In my 66 442 to a smog station at that time. The guy lifts the hood and declares my car not original because no smog pump. The guy I bought the car from knew the original owner and said nothing was ever changed on the car. The tech guy would have none of it. So I had to make an appointment with the “Smog Referee”...more commonly known as the Smog Gestapo.
Before my meeting I contacted the Olds Historical Society. An elderly woman answers and I tell her the situation. She has me send them all the numbers off the car, vin, engine number, everything.
About a week later she calls. She says the official documents are in the mail and my car, because it was high performance and a manual trans, it was exempt from smog.
I show these documents to the state smog referee and his jaw drops. He had no idea there were exemptions. He gets up and goes into an adjoining office and I overhear his phone call to someone. He starts telling this other person about all these muscle car guys coming in and saying they bought the car brand new back in the day and there was never any smog crap on them. But he had been telling them they had to put smog pumps on them if they wanted to keep them on the road.

Notice the PCV is checked off. Not sure what the C/I thing is
Needles to say there were a lot of pissed off people. He couldn’t deny my official documentation so they put a little sticker in my door jam saying what my car was equipped with. I’ll post a pic I took of it right before I pulled it off. It wasn’t but a couple years later they passed the law that all cars made before 75 didn’t have to get smog checked.
If I can dig up the docs I’ll post those as well
Old June 10th, 2022, 04:50 PM

Ok so I think the C/I is carbureted or injected
that makes sense
Old June 10th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Restorer

Originally Posted by randy442
Interesting about your 67 442 built in Fremont. My 66 was built there and sold in California. It was exempt from smog because it was a 4 speed. Is yours an automatic ?
Yes, it is an Auto and sold in California
Old June 10th, 2022, 09:42 PM

That high performance Manual transmission car story is great. Mine’s just a simple CA-sold auto 425. My Dad bought it new and it’s been in my continuous ownership since the 80’s. I took the smog stuff off then, but kept them all these years.

I suppose if I ever sell it, I’ll send the parts with it. I’ve never given 2 thoughts about the need to stick the stuff back on in case of sale. But ideally this is someone else’s problem. With luck this car will outlast me.

Can you imagine that, of all the cool old car parts, SMOG stuff is getting rare? Ugh.

I love CA, but some of their rules bug me.
Old June 15th, 2022, 08:17 PM
Restorer

Originally Posted by randy442
So back in about 91 or 92 California started making all cars made after 65 or 64 (when ever they started putting smog stuff on) do a smog check to register the vehicle. This was a visual and functional test.
So I bring In my 66 442 to a smog station at that time. The guy lifts the hood and declares my car not original because no smog pump. The guy I bought the car from knew the original owner and said nothing was ever changed on the car. The tech guy would have none of it. So I had to make an appointment with the “Smog Referee”...more commonly known as the Smog Gestapo.
Before my meeting I contacted the Olds Historical Society. An elderly woman answers and I tell her the situation. She has me send them all the numbers off the car, vin, engine number, everything.
About a week later she calls. She says the official documents are in the mail and my car, because it was high performance and a manual trans, it was exempt from smog.
I show these documents to the state smog referee and his jaw drops. He had no idea there were exemptions. He gets up and goes into an adjoining office and I overhear his phone call to someone. He starts telling this other person about all these muscle car guys coming in and saying they bought the car brand new back in the day and there was never any smog crap on them. But he had been telling them they had to put smog pumps on them if they wanted to keep them on the road.

Notice the PCV is checked off. Not sure what the C/I thing is
Needles to say there were a lot of pissed off people. He couldn’t deny my official documentation so they put a little sticker in my door jam saying what my car was equipped with. I’ll post a pic I took of it right before I pulled it off. It wasn’t but a couple years later they passed the law that all cars made before 75 didn’t have to get smog checked.
If I can dig up the docs I’ll post those as well
where was this Bureau of Automotive Repair tag located and where did it come from,?