'67 442 dash

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM

'67 442 dash

Hi Guy's, I have got a '67 442 dash disassembled. I want to get it rechromed/restored, but that is another question for another time, not know. What I would like to know is how to get the three ferrul/rubber nuts out that holds the speedo in the dash with out destroying them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Getting There

For the rubber threaded section you can use a small pick to gently push the edges in. It works better if you can get your hand on the backside to press them sideways as you use the pick

hope this helps
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Hi Wes, Would you say work the ferrul nut from the inside of the dash to the backside of the dash? It appears to have a rubber ring around the ferrul nut on the backside which I figure would have to go from inside out. Does this sound right? What about silicon spray for a lubricant?
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Getting There

Bill I work mine from the speedo side that way I don`t have to press the threads out of anything
a small drop of oil works well when you do it

PS that center one can be a bit of a pain since it is so far inset and watch your knuckles if you press hard ..... don`t ask me how I know
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Hey Wes, By your comment I would figure you have been down that road before. Thanks for the knuckle warning. What holds these nuts in place? I will give this a shot tomorrow and see if I can get them out. I want to repair/restore/rechrome the dash, any suggestions? Bill
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM

'67 442 dash

Hi Wes, I tried what you said on how to get the ferrul nuts out and guess what I did get them out. I only destroyed one. But I think I will be able to use it. Thanks for your help. Hopefully I can return the favor down the road. Happy Motoring in your Oldsmobile. Bill
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Getting There

Bill glad to hear it worked out for you
as far as platers go ... there are a few but none that I have used
I will be reconditioning my own dash including fixing cracks and flaws then I will be painting it with a new chrome paint product shortly...
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Thumbs up

CV Vacuum Platers are great.
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Cool '67 442 dash

Hi Olds guy's, Now that I have my dash disassembled, with help from Wes, what to do,what to do. I have talked to Mr G's in Texas, Just Dash's in Ca and American Classic in MA. They all talk like this is expensive/costly process to repair/restore/rechrome my dash. I don't think I have a steady enough hand to do this myself. I am not aware of CV Vacuum. I will talk to them. My project, I have a '67 442 convertible (money pit ) that is in a bunch of pieces. Currently the body is off the frame. The frame, engine, trans, diff, brake/fuel lines and suspension is all done. I have a rolling chassis. I have had the engine running ( on jackstands) and everything seems to be OK. I need to finish under the body and get these things back together. I want to be driving this summer. Thanks for your help, Bill
PS Has anyone out there had any experience with these venders? Sure would like some input.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Bill Poston
Hi Olds guy's, Now that I have my dash disassembled, with help from Wes, what to do,what to do. I have talked to Mr G's in Texas,
DON'T USE MR G'S!! if you want it to look anywhere in the zip code of right see below

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...arts-done.html

Last edited by gearheads78; March 7th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Getting There

Bill we need pics of your car or you might get Banned from the site ...
Joking aside we all love pictures of others projects
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

'67 442 dash

Thanks for the replys. On Mr G's, On the conversations I had with the three vendors I would rate Mr G,s #3, Just Dash,s #2 and American Classic #1. I was told by Mr G,s that there could be slight paint imperfections and sand marks. Just Dash,s just wanted me to send dash,pad and glove box. I want dash repaired not pad and glovebox. I just liked the conversation I had with the owner at American Classic. I have not spoke with CV vacuum yet. Stay tuned.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Question '67 442 dash

To MY442, Have you used CV vacuum? Would like to know. Thanks