69 442 help!

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM

69 442 help!

My house was broken into and they stole the keys to my 69 442

They decided to steal my truck rather than the flashy garage queen thank God but Im moving on Saturday and have no means to move it, the ignition is on the column, how the heck do I change those out without drilling the old ignition out and possibly ripping up my car!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Morgan
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM
dar83501

Open the hood and start the car on the starter solenoid, then you can just drive it to wherever you need...and always, always have spare ignition keys hidden away places!

Old January 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I believe a good locksmith would be the best tool for the job. Do you remember what letter key your ignition was?
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MorganSS
My house was broken into and they stole the keys to my 69 442

They decided to steal my truck rather than the flashy garage queen thank God but Im moving on Saturday and have no means to move it, the ignition is on the column, how the heck do I change those out without drilling the old ignition out and possibly ripping up my car!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Morgan
Remove the driver's door panel and take out the door lock cylinder. There will be a four digit code on the cylinder. A GM dealer's parts counter will be able to punch a new key from the cylinder and code. On 69s the door lock and ignition lock use the same key.

Failing that, remove the steering wheel, lock plate, and turn signal switch from the end of the column. You can remove the lock cylinder by inserting a small flat blade screwdriver in the slot circled in the attached photo. Once the cylinder is out, you can start the car and unlock the column with a screwdriver. Reinstall all the parts to drive the car. The ignition lock cylinder can be snapped in at any time.

Originally Posted by dar83501
Open the hood and start the car on the starter solenoid, then you can just drive it to wherever you need...
Well, first, that doesn't unlock the steering column. Second, the starter solenoid is under the car on the starter, and third, you would still need to run a hot wire to the coil to keep it running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
p122915_image_large.jpg (38.7 KB, 12 views)
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM

You may want to just buy a new cylinder and door locks. If they have the keys, you don`t want them to find the car. Even if you are moving, you can never guarentee they won`t find or see the car somewhere and try to take it. Afterall, they do have the keys. Like Joe described, it`s fairly easy to change.