Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
ratsglass29

cutlass/442

Got a 70 cutlss I'm doing for a guy and making it a 442
Has 14" stock rally style wheels with the 5 spoke and chrome/ss trim rings
putting disc brakes all around
We need to get some 15" stock wheels of the same style
Can anyone tell me if the 15x7 stock rally wheel will clear the calipers?
thanks in advance
Rick

Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM

Hi Rick
The 14"X7" should clear the calipers which is the size they used in 1970. Are these the 5 spoke that are the same color as the car? Or are these the 5 narrow chrome spokes with a black background similar to the Magnum 500 wheels or Chevelle SS wheels? John

Whoops! I just read your message again about rear discs. I don't know what size wheels you would need to clear that. Are you using Cadillac discs or aftermarket?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ratsglass29
Got a 70 cutlss I'm doing for a guy and making it a 442
Has 14" stock rally style wheels with the 5 spoke and chrome/ss trim rings
putting disc brakes all around
We need to get some 15" stock wheels of the same style
Can anyone tell me if the 15x7 stock rally wheel will clear the calipers?
thanks in advance
Rick
It all depends on what brakes you're using. As noted above, the 14 x 7 SSII/SSIII rims clear the factory A-body disc brakes, as they came that way from the factory. If you're using anything larger (aftermarket or B-body spindles) I don't think even the 15 x 7 SSII/III rims clear. This is not true of all 15 x 7 rims, but the SSII/III rims use the same center section for both the 14" and 15" versions, so the larger diameter doesn't really buy you any additional clearance. You're on your own for the rear brakes.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Didn't the B-bodies in the 70s offer disc brakes with SS wheels? I think these are 15 x 8 though. I know I have a set of them in storage, I just don't know what bolt pattern they are. Oldsguy also has a set in his garage. There was a time when I was in college that we were scouring slavage yards for SS wheels. We had a set on his 69 Delta for awhile. It sure looked good with SS rims but we had to use bolt pattern adapters. BAD IDEA! At least for anything other than a trailer queen.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
Didn't the B-bodies in the 70s offer disc brakes with SS wheels? I think these are 15 x 8 though. I know I have a set of them in storage, I just don't know what bolt pattern they are. Oldsguy also has a set in his garage. There was a time when I was in college that we were scouring slavage yards for SS wheels. We had a set on his 69 Delta for awhile. It sure looked good with SS rims but we had to use bolt pattern adapters. BAD IDEA! At least for anything other than a trailer queen.
First, the largest factory-available SSII/III wheel was 15x7. Some aftermarket vendors make wider ones. The center is still the same diameter as on the 14" wheels and they still have clearance problems.

Second, the late 70s B-body cars that offered the SSIII rims (such as the 1977 Delta 88 Indy Pace Car) used the A-body 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern and the same 10.75" rotor diameter as the A-body cars. The 12" B-body rotors (actually 11.75") were used on the wagons and HD suspensions (police and taxi) and had a 5 x 5" bolt circle. SSII/III rims were NEVER made in the larger bolt circle.
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
ratsglass29

the rear disc kit is Cadillac with e-brake
And the front is 78 year car i don't remember what model right now
the whole kit is from CPP
Rick

Old November 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ratsglass29
...And the front is 78 year car i don't remember what model right now the whole kit is from CPP
Rick
What does that mean, exactly? If you are using different spindles, you MUST change the ball joints. GM changed the taper on the ball joint studs after 1972. While the later spindles will physically bolt to the early ball joints, the tapers do not match and the studs will not be loaded correctly. This is an UNSAFE condition and can lead to ball joint breakage. If you're doing this for a customer, you've got liability.

If you are using the 10.75" disks, the SSIII rims will fit. If you are using the 11.75" disks (B-body wagon spindles with 1LE Camaro rotors) the SSIII will NOT fit.