Engine originality

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2022, 04:45 PM

Pretty sure the switch is garbage (real mushy) so I was gonna try to use the rear defrost switch and see if that helped. I was spraying it with WD to with no luck. So many projects to start when she comes home. This site may be the best thing on the web to help her come together.
Old January 19th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Banned

If you do not try and force it and be patient you may be able to get it working. Clean the mast as much as you can. The thing with power antennas is they pull all the dirt etc down into the motor. I am guessing if it was left up the switch may have an issue. Very easy to check.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:40 PM

Use something like PB blaster over WD-40. Be careful, the rear def switch is not momentary like the antenna, don't leave it on. Power antenna and defrost. Impressive. What else does it have?

Yes, it's possible it's a dealer swap with a handy G block, but I think it would be so under the table it wouldn't be documented if so.

We do like to talk for a while on things.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:08 PM

Quick run down off the top of my head:
Power Steering, Power Brakes w/ front disc, rally Pal (Clock still works!), AM/FM with multi speaker, Power Antenna, Deluxe front belts, Factory Headrest option, Tilt wheel, under dash lighting, remote drivers mirror, glove box trunk light and vanity mirror, Rear Def. Interior is in great shape with only tears in front seats. Headliner, door cards and back seat perfect. Second owner was a smoked so there's a small blemish on front side of console. The last car I had was a 1968 Camaro that was plain jane, guess I got lucky with this one.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Banned

Nice save. 👍
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jrodz11
Quick run down off the top of my head:
Power Steering, Power Brakes w/ front disc, rally Pal (Clock still works!), AM/FM with multi speaker, Power Antenna, Deluxe front belts, Factory Headrest option, Tilt wheel, under dash lighting, remote drivers mirror, glove box trunk light and vanity mirror, Rear Def. Interior is in great shape with only tears in front seats. Headliner, door cards and back seat perfect. Second owner was a smoked so there's a small blemish on front side of console. The last car I had was a 1968 Camaro that was plain jane, guess I got lucky with this one.
A car loaded like that definitely sounds like an executive car.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:16 PM

I was wrong earlier when I stated that all it was missing was the passenger side 442 headlight bezel. Apparently the previous owner swapped out the carb and someone seems to have made off with 2 of the wheels. It has 2 that are original I think that used to have wheel covers, and it also wears 2 Chevy rallys. Honestly after being parked for so long I'm surprised nobody made off with the hood which is both rust and dent free. She might get some modern 17" version of mag 500 with Diamondback redlines, but I also plan on having a set of OE for a change once in a while.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A car loaded like that definitely sounds like an executive car.
I agree. Loaded.
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:24 PM

I really think all it's missing is A/C and power windows. Oddly enough the 2 things that really don't matter when Dare I say... Drag racing!
The steel passenger side inner fender is in good shape, but the years of sitting caused the battery to leak which really ruined the driver's side. I hate the idea of going with the composite for both, but also want them to match. Anyone have a lead on a driver's side?
Old January 19th, 2022, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Just indulge me for a second while I cling to a narrative that is slowly being proven false ... but here's a scenario: since money was tight for warranty work, wouldn't that encourage a dealer who didn't mind working in the gray zones a little bit to cut corners by using a new-ish G-block he had sitting there (maybe a cash customer wanted a 455 upgrade in his new '68 -- there were lots of instances of this happening at Chevy and Pontiac dealers).

I think Koda's explanation is probably more likely, but is mine plausible?
Money wasn't tight for warranty work, it was just reimbursed at a lower rate than the customer rate. The dealer was furnished with the parts to do the warranty work. There were no "gray zones". The dealer and the zone rep knew the black and white rules.