Fremont 67 442 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Fremont 67 442 Convertible

My dad bought this car about 7 years ago he justified a "want" with a "investment" LOL It's time to get serious about getting to know the car... Decide if it's for sale or if it just stays parked and cozy where it's at.
Fremont 67 442's seem to be the most difficult to validate, but what we have appears to be a legit car. I believe it was born aspen green with a black top. Any additional info you super guru's have would be awesome!

The black bucket seats also appear to be correct. Obvi aftermarket steering wheel & wheels but I have a set of correct torque thrust ready for install if we decide to do so.

VIN # 338677Z111838

Old November 28th, 2023, 11:42 AM

Ooooh, factory A.I.R.

Torque thrusts are not "factory correct" for the car, but I am sure they would look fine.

That cowl tag sure is interesting.
Old November 28th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Can you tell me what's interesting about the cowl tag ? I'd have to dig out the wheels, it's possible they were something other than torque thrusts... I thought I got what was "correct", they might even just be caps. I've had to play around with wheels a lot on many different cars.

I probably would have gone with a black top had I known that was what came on it, but the white on red looks good, and we're very unlikely to repaint the car to match the fisher tag.

It's a very reliable, nicely behaved driver car. Of the various classics we have this is one I know will always come to life in the spring, and purr wherever I watn to take her.
Old November 28th, 2023, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Blake
Can you tell me what's interesting about the cowl tag ?
Unfortunately, nothing. Fremont did not use the ACC codes on the cowl tag, so there's no way to prove the car is a real 442. This is unfortunately why Fremont cars are most frequently cloned. I'm not suggesting that this one is, only that unless you can find the build sheet, there's no additional info available.
Old November 28th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Blake
Can you tell me what's interesting about the cowl tag ? I'd have to dig out the wheels, it's possible they were something other than torque thrusts... I thought I got what was "correct", they might even just be caps. I've had to play around with wheels a lot on many different cars.

I probably would have gone with a black top had I known that was what came on it, but the white on red looks good, and we're very unlikely to repaint the car to match the fisher tag.

It's a very reliable, nicely behaved driver car. Of the various classics we have this is one I know will always come to life in the spring, and purr wherever I watn to take her.
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, nothing. Fremont did not use the ACC codes on the cowl tag, so there's no way to prove the car is a real 442. This is unfortunately why Fremont cars are most frequently cloned. I'm not suggesting that this one is, only that unless you can find the build sheet, there's no additional info available.
I think the cowl tag is not original to the car and from a hardtop.
Old November 28th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
I think the cowl tag is not original to the car and from a hardtop.
Look again. 33867 is a Cutlass Supreme Convertible.

Old November 28th, 2023, 02:14 PM

No matter what, it is a nice looking ride.
Steve
Old November 28th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Look again. 33867 is a Cutlass Supreme Convertible.

B80 is Chrome Roof Drip Moldings. Standard on Sport Coupes and Hardtop Coupe Cutlass Supremes, and N/A on convertibles. All the 8s and some of the B's look sketchy. I'm aware what model is what; I've only got a link to a page I wrote on the tags in my sig, man.

This is why all I said was it's interesting.
Old November 28th, 2023, 05:31 PM
Banned

People that buy a car as an investment take that chance. Personally I love seeing those people take a bath. Scammer's prey on people like this. Cars that you can't verify? Perfect. Resale red. Funny that the body tag is super clean but Zero before pictures documentation etc. 👍 I am not sure people care if a car is real anymore. Investment is a gamble always. Don't mean to sound so harsh. I just prefer seeing cars go to true enthusiast's. Nice looking car.

I love Oldsmobile's. True Oldsmobile's. Best of luck.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; November 29th, 2023 at 05:21 AM.
Old November 28th, 2023, 05:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
B80 is Chrome Roof Drip Moldings. Standard on Sport Coupes and Hardtop Coupe Cutlass Supremes, and N/A on convertibles. All the 8s and some of the B's look sketchy. I'm aware what model is what; I've only got a link to a page I wrote on the tags in my sig, man.

This is why all I said was it's interesting.
I wasn't even paying attention to that B80. Good point. I bet that's supposed to be B85, which the car does have. To be honest, there's no reason for anyone to waste the time swapping a cowl tag on a Fremont car - it doesn't prove anything unless one has the build sheet (which will key to the manifest sequence number on the cowl tag), but even then, the build sheet would also have the VIN, so again there would be no reason to do it.
Old November 29th, 2023, 03:41 AM

I wasn't even paying attention to that B80. Good point. I bet that's supposed to be B85, which the car does have. To be honest, there's no reason for anyone to waste the time swapping a cowl tag on a Fremont car - it doesn't prove anything unless one has the build sheet (which will key to the manifest sequence number on the cowl tag), but even then, the build sheet would also have the VIN, so again there would be no reason to do it.
That's a good point as well. I certainly think the car is real, no one would ever replicate an A.I.R setup to that extent in a clone; they'd just sell it outside of California. That is THE most complicated belt setup in 67 with those options and the smog pump.

Sounds like a fun car, it's got to be one of the few that CA would allow to pass inspection to live there.
Old November 29th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
People that buy a car as an investment take that chance. Personally I love seeing those people take a bath. Scammer's prey on people like this. Cars that you can't verify? Perfect. Resale red. Funny that the body tag is super clean but Zero before pictures documentation etc. 👍 I am not sure people care if a car is real anymore. Investment is a gamble always. Don't mean to sound so harsh. I just prefer seeing cars go to true enthusiast's. Nice looking car.

I love Oldsmobile's. True Oldsmobile's. Best of luck.
I'm kind of with you, clone, "tribute" whatever, if it's a good car it's a good car. Some of the super rare stuff has to be authenticated, but kind of MEH to the rest.

We have a bright purple 71 clone that is done incredibly well, but was born a cutlass supreme, it's probably not worth what this one is, and it certainly lost it's zeal for my pops when he realized it was not born a 442... but hell I still enjoy jumping in it and going for a ride! The top comes down, the engine comes to life and it's just another fun car! He's absolutely **** at preparing for

One of these days I'll post his absolutely amazing 57 Super 98, that car was actually part of John Stalupe's museum collection.... I very much wish I could get more details on who did the restoration but even though I have some photographs I can't figure anything out...

hahah suffice to say he's a true oldsmobile guy, and he buys what he wants... and then justified it to himself by saying it's an investment
Old November 29th, 2023, 09:51 AM

Super 98 ? I don't believe I ever heard of one before. 88's, Super 88's and 98's is what I recall.
Old November 29th, 2023, 01:06 PM

You all know lots more than me! I looked it up, it's a Starfire! He's first car was / is a Super 88 Holiday Coupe. My car is a Super 88 Sedan.

We just sold a '55 Super 88 convert, and we have a 100% original 55 sedan, but I can't remember anything other than it's doors... I think it's an 88

It gets confusing remembering which one is what

What's the difference in between a 88 and a super 88 ? (hah! I should probably make another thread this is a little off topic)
Old November 29th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Besides most likely the most significant difference being the length of the wheel base, many options on the Super 88 were standard on the 98.

1956 Oldsmobile 88 and 98
Old December 30th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Restorer

Here is my cowl tag for my 67 Fremont 442. It is completely original with the AIR system still intact. Notice the number 8s.

Old December 30th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am sure they can be duplicated but the rivets on the data tag sure look the same.
Old December 31st, 2023, 03:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I am sure they can be duplicated but the rivets on the data tag sure look the same.
Yeah, correct cowl tag rivets and matching installation tool are readily available.