hood insulation rubbing against power steering cap

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2022, 07:44 AM

hood insulation rubbing against power steering cap

Starting to go through my new 1966 Olds 442. I noticed a spot on the hood insulation around the area where the power steering cap is located. It turned out to be power steering fluid. I am thinking that the hood insulation is covering the breather hole on the cap and fluid is leaking out the cap onto the insulation. I blotted it up with paper towels. I am not sure of a remedy. Anyone else have this issue. I am thinking that I may be able to move the power steering pump down a bit. The insulation sags around that area and I don't see a way to keep it tighter against the hood. Any ideas?
Old March 3rd, 2022, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jims48
Starting to go through my new 1966 Olds 442. I noticed a spot on the hood insulation around the area where the power steering cap is located. It turned out to be power steering fluid. I am thinking that the hood insulation is covering the breather hole on the cap and fluid is leaking out the cap onto the insulation. I blotted it up with paper towels. I am not sure of a remedy. Anyone else have this issue. I am thinking that I may be able to move the power steering pump down a bit. The insulation sags around that area and I don't see a way to keep it tighter against the hood. Any ideas?
You likely need to re glue the hood insulation to the hood or replace and glue a new one to the hood. I can't picture the setup on a 66 but is it possible to use a slightly shorter belt for the power steering and the adjustment pull it down farther?
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:06 AM
Administrator

The other thing is you may be overfilling your pump. The insulation is held up by clips and glue.
Old March 4th, 2022, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the response. I checked the fluid level and it is actually a little low. I will look into moving the pump down by changing the size of the belt. One other thought was the cap may be defective and it is pushing fluid out of the breather hole.
Old March 4th, 2022, 11:53 AM

Might be the wrong belt length. Not knowing what your setup is may be causing the problem. Need a picture at least and what is actually your set up. Do you have more than power steering and alternator. Need more formation. There is help here. Just need more info.

Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; March 4th, 2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old March 4th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Thanks. Just an alternator and power steering. Here are some pics. The last one is of the insulation. If you look close, you can see a round area. The round area is where the power steering cap was hitting the insulation. The insulation was full of steering fluid. Also note the outline of the air cleaners.

Old March 5th, 2022, 04:05 AM

I have a 66 Cutlass 330. Judging from your picture the hood insulation sure looks a lot thicker than mine. Not only your power steering pump but also your air cleaners are really pushing against the hood insulation but also looks like your oil tube cap is also. My hood insulation doesn't come near either of those. Is there any issue with resistance when close the hood. Relative to the power steering pump. I believe any 66 Olds V8 I have seen doesn't have such a thick insulation. Maybe the whole engine is sitting to high. BTW the cap on your power steering acts the same way your radiator cap has to be pushed down to turn to open. I E it opens the seal. I don't think its the power steering belt. Did this issue just turn up or not. Got me.

Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; March 5th, 2022 at 04:08 AM.
Old March 5th, 2022, 07:55 AM

I recently purchased the car. The car was restored about 20 years ago and only driven about 500 miles since them. The engine, transmission tri power, etc. are all numbers matching. just discovered the issue with the hood insulation a few days ago. Never even looked at the insulation when I bought the car. The hood doesn't really have much resistance when it closes. It could be the insulation is too thick. Would you mind measuring the thickness of yours so I can compare too. I am hoping the issue is the insulation.
Thanks
Jim
Old March 5th, 2022, 11:58 AM

Jim, My car is still in storage unfortunately. Here is a picture that might help. The insulation is nowhere near yours. Try Fusick or OPGI, they both have hood insulation for 1966 Cutlass hoods. Maybe they can give you an idea of the thickness. I have seen a number of 66 Cutlass with no insulation. I have never seen something that thick. Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in.

Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; March 5th, 2022 at 12:13 PM.
Old March 7th, 2022, 07:44 AM

Wayne,
Thanks for the picture. I just noticed you are from Medina, just a short ride from my home in Strongsville. Maybe we can meet at one of the cruises this summer. I did reach out to a couple suppliers. I am waiting for their response. Hopefully, I will get this resolved.
Jim
Old March 7th, 2022, 11:21 AM

Jim let me know what they say. I am surprised more people haved not chimed in but maybe they will. BTW the Ohio Chapter of OCA will have several things going this summer. I hope the gas issue doesn't screw things up but sofar we have three things going. 5/10 is the annual Olds Dust Off which will be at Laurel Square in Brunswick. I thing it usually goes 9AM or 10AM to 2PM. and also 6/12 at the same place for the B O P (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) show which I think goes 9AM to 3PM. I believe both of thows shows have a small chrge member or not, Then in August is our big show. I am really concerned if the gas thing **** cans anybody from coming. Who knows. Looking forward to meeting. I also bumped in to someone near canto that now has a 66 Cutlass but haven't heard much.

Wayne

Old March 7th, 2022, 12:49 PM

Thanks Wayne, I will let you know what I find out. I am a member of the OCA. I also have a 48 Olds street rod. The 10th of May is a Tuesday, let me know if that date is accurate. I will put the June date on the calendar.
Old March 7th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the date typo. It's 5/1. Sorry. Have you had your 48 at Brunswick cruise last summer. Looking forward to meeting you. My car comes out of storage saturate 4/9. I have a few things to do her also. Stay safe.

Wayne