Looking for help WIW

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Looking for help WIW

Good afternoon everyone, glad to be here. We had a death in the family a couple years ago and inherited the family 72 442 convertible with every intention on keeping it and passing it down to our daughter. Unfortunately, we can no longer keep it and I have been trying to find a good appraisal company in the Austin, TX area. Makes me sad to even write this post but we would also like it to go to someone who will love the car as much as we do. Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180401_121108.jpg (175.5 KB, 53 views)
Old May 7th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the site... Check out Haggerty insurance site... You will be able to get an idea what it's worth and how to determine the value...

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtoo...and-conditions
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:06 AM
72 Olds CS

1972 is an odd year for the 442 as it was no longer its own model like previous years and instead was an option package.

72 442 w big blocks will be worth the most and the cars vin will have an u or a v denoting as a big block, if the vin contains an x the car is worth even more as it denotes w-30.

Most likely tho your car is a small block. If the car runs and drives well and the top and interior are in good condition and the paint is decent and the AC functions, I would expect 15-20k is possible w someone who likes convertibles.
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
1972 is an odd year for the 442 as it was no longer its own model like previous years and instead was an option package.

72 442 w big blocks will be worth the most and the cars vin will have an u or a v denoting as a big block, if the vin contains an x the car is worth even more as it denotes w-30.

Most likely tho your car is a small block. If the car runs and drives well and the top and interior are in good condition and the paint is decent and the AC functions, I would expect 15-20k is possible w someone who likes convertibles.
It is the big block 455 rocket with the hurst package and I have been getting super varying ranges on a price with anything I can find online. NADA gives a range from 40K - 100K. Need to get it officially appraised and so far have not found anything in the Austin area
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tuttle
It is the big block 455 rocket with the hurst package and I have been getting super varying ranges on a price with anything I can find online. NADA gives a range from 40K - 100K. Need to get it officially appraised and so far have not found anything in the Austin area
There is no "Hurst package". The 1972 Hurst/Olds is a completely different car. The car has W-30 stripes but you don't say it's a W-30, so one assumes the car was repainted and the stripes (and possibly repro hood) may have been added. Post the VIN, which will let us know if the car was originally a 455 or not. This has a major impact on value.
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

U code 72 cars are few and far between, but will only marginally increase the value. Just based on the picture you posted, it's likely it is a 442 (as denoted by the lack of rocker stainless). The car has obviously been repainted as none of the 1972 442's except the W30 had the wide stripe down the side. Is the color code 65? If you could find a broadcast card for the car (possibly under a seat or the carpet) that would help authenticate the car as it would show the W29 option on the card. I'm guessing your VIN starts out as 3J67U? That would also help authenticate the engine in the car. Just match the VIN derivative on the engine stamping block to the last 6 digits on your VIN and that proves the engine is the one the car was born with. As far as options? Verts are more sought after than hardtops or post coupes.

Don't be surprised if the valuation is less than the range NADA stated. They're often wrong. Take a look at this site, it will give you a good idea of what 72 Cutlass models are trying to sell for ( https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/se...=all&state=any ).
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
U code 72 cars are few and far between, but will only marginally increase the value. Just based on the picture you posted, it's likely it is a 442 (as denoted by the lack of rocker stainless). The car has obviously been repainted as none of the 1972 442's except the W30 had the wide stripe down the side. Is the color code 65? If you could find a broadcast card for the car (possibly under a seat or the carpet) that would help authenticate the car as it would show the W29 option on the card. I'm guessing your VIN starts out as 3J67U? That would also help authenticate the engine in the car. Just match the VIN derivative on the engine stamping block to the last 6 digits on your VIN and that proves the engine is the one the car was born with. As far as options? Verts are more sought after than hardtops or post coupes.

Don't be surprised if the valuation is less than the range NADA stated. They're often wrong. Take a look at this site, it will give you a good idea of what 72 Cutlass models are trying to sell for ( https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/se...=all&state=any ).
Yes the vin starts with 3J67U. I have looked for the vin derivative stamp with no luck finding it. Have watched videos as to the location and cannot find it in those areas. As to the paint, yes it has been repainted but as per the previous owner (my wife's deceased father) it is the original color but also per previous replies to this post about the vin, it is not the w-30. The records I have about it only go back 15-20 years (records kept by my wife's father) and none of those records indicate anything other then what work he had done to it The full vin is 3J67U2M110849 and the haggerty site only gives 3 options per the vin listed below. What I really need is a solid, reputable appraisal company I can pay to give me an official appraisal * 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Hurst/Olds Pace Car2dr Convertible8-cyl. 455cid/275hp 4bblSelect Vehicle * 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Hurst/Olds2dr Convertible8-cyl. 455cid/275hp 4bblSelect Vehicle * 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme2dr Convertible8-cyl. 455cid/275hp 4bbl
Old May 8th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

The car is a 1972 Cutlass Supreme convertible with a factory installed 455/TH400 drivetrain. The 442 "handling and appearance" package was an available option that year and not a separate model. As a result, 1972 442s are most easily and frequently cloned, so without documentation buyers will assume the car is a clone. Frankly, the 442 package only added the grills, emblems, and FE2 suspension package that year, so it really isn't a big deal value-wise. The U-code VIN is really more of a driver on value. Unfortunately, today every 1970-72 442 and Faux-Four-Two has a repro O.A.I. hood and wide side stripes. Uninformed buyers are impressed by this, so these actually tend to make the car more likely to sell.

It's a nice looking car, but without more detailed info and photos it's difficult to provide a value. In the last two months, exactly three 1972 442 convertibles have actually sold on ebay (as opposed to auctions where reserve was not met). The sale prices ranged from $20K to $37K. All three were originally 350 2bbl cars, but the one at $37K had a swapped in 455. Yes, all three had a repro hood and the W=30 side stripes.
Old May 8th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tuttle
Yes the vin starts with 3J67U. I have looked for the vin derivative stamp with no luck finding it. l
Look here:

Left side of engine under front left spark plug

It will likely start the same as this, just the last 6 digits will be different

Since you have an Alternator in the way, one of the best ways to get a picture of your VIN derivative would be to use your cell phone camera. The 32M means Oldsmobile/1972/Lansing
Old May 8th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

3J67U2M110849
This is a relatively early production car likely produced in August/September of 1971. Check the cowl tag, or maybe you could post a picture of it. I'd guess the time build date from Fisher Body Works.

Likely goes something like this:
ST-72
LAN
(XXXXXX - body number - not related to VIN)
TR - 977
A51 (or A65)
PNT 65 A
08 (A/B/C/D/E) or 09 (A/B/C/D/E)

here's an example of what you are looking for. It's under the hood on the cowl, in front of the dash VIN location

This is not Oldsmobile, but it shows what you're looking for

A broadcast sheet would be really helpful as well. Note the W29 RPO (Regular Production Option) in box 12 of the card.

This is usually found tucked under a seat spring, or under a carpet area. Lansing cars didn't leave the factory with Build Sheets like the other factories.
Old May 8th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Cory

Here is a list of recently sold 72 convertibles and others on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...cutlass&_sop=3

Last edited by dream66; May 8th, 2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: cuz Joe punked my post
Old May 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dream66
Here is a list of recently sold 72 convertibles on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks...cutlass&_sop=3
Well, this one from that list isn't a convertible and it apparently "sold" at least three times in the last two months, most recently for a "sale" price of $3500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmo...p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmo...ZanCDq&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmo...ZanCDq&vxp=mtr
Old May 8th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Cory

See this thread for a WTB convertible

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ml#post1094202
Old May 26th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Some companies that do pre-purchase inspections offer appraisal services.
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=joe_padavano;1094315]Well, this one from that list isn't a convertible and it apparently "sold" at least three times in the last two months, most recently for a "sale" price of $3500.

/QUOTE]

Lordy lordy, this one is a real" eyecatcher".