Is my harrison radiator the correct code for '70 442

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Lance

Is my harrison radiator the correct code for '70 442

The Harrison radiator in my car has "FI" stamped into the smaller tank on the drivers side.

The larger tank on the passenger side that has the automatic transmission cooler built into it, has "CI" stamped into it.

The GM assembly manual shows "FI" code as being for 4800 and "B" series???

My '70 442 is a automatic transmission equipted car with A/C (C60), heavy duty cooling (Y72), and 3.23 rear end gears.

Is this Harrison 4 row radiator correct for my car???

Does the GM assembly manual "reprints" not always reflect what was really put on these cars (most current revisions not in manual)???

My radiator needs to be re-cored again and I don't want to spend alot of money on it, if it does not have the correct code.

Radiator shops were located everywhere around here when I had it re-cored in the mid '90s. I would not hesitate to get an old Harrison re-cored when it could be done locally. Now there are no radiator shops around here, so it will have to be shipped out of town.

This is why I want to make sure that the radiator I have is correct for my car, then I will fell beter about the money it will cost.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:16 AM
Lance

I think I have cracked the "nut"!!!

The Parts Place is selling the correct coded Harrison radiator tags for my car.

EC is the correct coded "radiator assembly" for my car.

The tag shows "IF" and "CI", and my tanks have "IF" stamped on one of them and "CI" stamped on the other tank.

The assembly manual list the "EC" coded radiator assembly to be used in the below application.

Radiator Assembly: P/N 3014707
Radiator Assembly Code: EC
Radiator Usage: 4400 Series
Application: C60 (A/C)
Application: V01 Heavy Duty Radiator 2.70" Core
Application: M40 (TH400)
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Trying to remember member

Thanks for the posts. Good to know how the pieces fit into the puzzle!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by wmachine
Thanks for the posts. Good to know how the pieces fit into the puzzle!
Kurt, the strange thing is the tag is listed on "The Parts Place" web site as being for a W-30 or W-31 with manual transmission?

This must of been a misprint, as the GM assembly manual clearly list this code for M40 (TH400) and C60 (A/C), thus requiring a V01 radiator assembly (2.70" core).

Correct me if I am wrong, but W-30 and W-31 with "manual transmissions" could not be ordered with C60 (A/C)???

This was because the cam profile would not support the A/C system, due too not enough engine vacuum.

Last edited by ROCKET VAPOR; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added "thus requiring a V01 radiator assembly (2.70" core)."
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:14 AM

Right. But the W30, W31, and C60 all share the same V01 radiator.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR

If you're happy with all the two-letter codes, great. But I would think the 1974 date code would bother you. I'm not clear if the code on the tag is the model year (likely) or build year, but either way, it's not right for your car.

This situation is typical of what happens when someone goes to the trouble of reproducing something for our hobby without fully understanding what they're doing.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
If you're happy with all the two-letter codes, great. But I would think the 1974 date code would bother you. I'm not clear if the code on the tag is the model year (likely) or build year, but either way, it's not right for your car.

This situation is typical of what happens when someone goes to the trouble of reproducing something for our hobby without fully understanding what they're doing.
*If* the 74 is indeed a date code. I'd like to have it confirmed one way or another.
Personally, I think a date code on reproduced part is superfluous, and borderline silly. To put part numbers on them is constructive as to help identify them (*if* correctly used) as a part number is supposed to be used. But a date code and/or a "correct" part number on a wrong part is simply a lie.
Old March 24th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Lance

Great question!!!

Could the "74" be for box 74 on the build sheet calling for "EC" coded radiator???

or......could it be Oldsmobile's "vendor code" for Harrison radiators in 1970???

I have all the proper documents for my car with the exception of the original window sticker and build sheet.

So...... with no build sheet, I am just guessing about the codes.
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:03 PM

*If* the 74 is indeed a date code. I'd like to have it confirmed one way or another.
I'm glad you're a skeptic. When I posted that comment, I thought I had seen a few examples where the two-digit number appeared to be a date code. I should learn to never trust my memory.

I've looked at a few more pictures of original radiator tags, and it's apparent to me that the number is NOT a date code. In fact, I've seen examples where it's just a one-digit number. My apologies for posting misleading information.

For what it's worth, the month of manufacture is stamped on the right tank. That reproduction radiator tag pictured above would've been attached to a radiator whose right tank had a large ""C" and "I" stamped into it. In between those two letters would be a much smaller letter. This is the month code. A = January, B = February, etc, except they skip the letter I since it looks too much like a one.
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=ROCKET VAPOR;160178]I think I have cracked the "nut"!!!

That is exactly what my original radiator tags looks like on my W-31 radiator with the exception that mine has 40 years of surface "patina" on it!

Old April 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Lance

[quote=orange442;163025]
Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR

That is exactly what my original radiator tags looks like on my W-31 radiator with the exception that mine has 40 years of surface "patina" on it!

Neat, thanks for posting!!!

What month was your car produced???
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=ROCKET VAPOR;163942]
Originally Posted by orange442

Neat, thanks for posting!!!

What month was your car produced???
My W-31 was built the first week of December, 1969.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by BlackGold
I've looked at a few more pictures of original radiator tags, and it's apparent to me that the number is NOT a date code. In fact, I've seen examples where it's just a one-digit number.
I learned from a highly credible source from another site what this "74" code stamped on the subject reproduction radiator code tag means.

This "74" code is the code used by Harrison to identify what core to use in the build of the radiator assembly, aka "core code".

I hope this information will help someone in the future searching here for answers.

Also want to thank everybody here who helped with answers to this thread.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Tnanks for posting. It makes perfect sense that the three codes on the left of the tag constitute a "recipe" for the radiator: which core and which tanks to use.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
Lance

For future reference pictures of my IF and CI side tanks.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg