OAI Hood springs

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2020, 02:55 PM

OAI Hood springs

OK, let's see if I can stir things up again....

I have a Fiber Concepts hood coming for my '72. I had read countless posts/threads on here over the past couple months to learn all i could and be prepared for this. When it comes to the hood springs it seems that everyone agrees up front that you need to use light duty springs for the fiberglass hood, but I also have read several posts where people said the lighter springs won't hold the hood up so they put their old springs back on

I asked Rob at Fiber Concepts about this and he said "definitely don't use your stock springs. Use the MEDIUM duty springs" I've never heard anyone mention MEDIUM duty springs before........ i've looked around on various sites for them and i DID find The Parts Place sells a pair of springs described as "for larger fiberglass hoods".

Anyone have some experience with this to steer me to the correct spring set?
Old January 9th, 2020, 05:00 PM
72 Olds CS

i used tpp springs on my 72 OAI hood they worked fine. IIRC i got the whole setup as kit together w the rear wing. Hood, wing, springs, hold downs etc.
Old January 10th, 2020, 06:04 AM

I have the all fiberglass hood on my 71 Cutlass, been on since about 1995. I used the light springs. They are ok and hold the hood up but without a bunch of holding excess. What I mean is they hold the hood up fine but if a wind comes the right way it will crash down. Once I tried to back the car out of the garage with the hood up and putting it in gear while running will jerk the car and it crashes down. So I just don't do those things. I wouldn't leave it alone with the hood up in case it would crash down. When it comes, it comes down hard. I have never hurt anything but if something were in the way there probably would be damage to the something and maybe the car. What are you going to do about the hood latch? I use only the "hood pins" but I would recommend using a latch.
Old January 10th, 2020, 06:23 AM

The Fiber Concepts hood has a steel plate in the front that accepts the stock front latch hardware.
Old January 10th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesotajeff
OK, let's see if I can stir things up again....

I have a Fiber Concepts hood coming for my '72. I had read countless posts/threads on here over the past couple months to learn all i could and be prepared for this. When it comes to the hood springs it seems that everyone agrees up front that you need to use light duty springs for the fiberglass hood, but I also have read several posts where people said the lighter springs won't hold the hood up so they put their old springs back on

I asked Rob at Fiber Concepts about this and he said "definitely don't use your stock springs. Use the MEDIUM duty springs" I've never heard anyone mention MEDIUM duty springs before........ i've looked around on various sites for them and i DID find The Parts Place sells a pair of springs described as "for larger fiberglass hoods".

Anyone have some experience with this to steer me to the correct spring set?
I would all "Rob" and ask for a vendor and part number for the springs he suggests.