Ongoing 65 442 Saga

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Ongoing 65 442 Saga

Got the car running decent from a gas jug. Next step is to cut the metal hump out of the trunk and try to make it flat. Never seen anything quite this horrible. Was so disgusted that I put the car on CL yesterday for $6000 as is. Woke up this morning in a better mood and removed the ad. Got to use my wits to make this work. I have a really nice trunk in a 65 f-85, but I'm not a welder. Think I'll do the best I can with sheet metal, and when the time comes, offer the car for sale with the other trunk. Maybe I can at least get it driveable, and somebody else might be interested in doing the welding. (This calls for lots of smiles)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965 Olds 442 (6).jpg (91.3 KB, 120 views)
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM

holey crap dave

i think we all know where jimmy hoffa is now
seriously now, is that what they did for the propane tanks? you told me of a hump in the floor but i had no idea. can you leave the hump and run the stock tank? at least that will keep out the weather
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:22 PM

Can't leave the hump, as it's hollow underneath. The rear strap holes are still there but the front ones are gone with the floor section. They did a real serious removal on the floor of the trunk.
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Hey Dave - the trunk pan in the 4 door has patches too but you could make it right I s'pose. I would suggest my coupe as a donor car for you but the trunk pan and floors are toast. There's other good stuff but I don't think you need it. I'd like to get out to Richmond and have a spy at the 442 if I ever take a day off....
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Hello Napoleon, I've actually got a decent trunk, just don't have to ability (at this time) to cut it out and weld it in. I was thinking about some of the stuff on your coupe, and still would like to see it. I'd try to trick you into buying mine, but you don't weld either. I think we both have some pondering to do !!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:06 PM

Update: Turns out a relative has a brand new mig welder in the box with instructions, and a face shield. Says he'll give me the stuff for free, but think I'll give him $100 for it (if we can connect). Thinking I'll enjoy the 442 more if I do a half decent job on the trunk.
Maybe I am a welder, just didn't realize it !!
Old November 3rd, 2012, 04:55 PM

Go dave go,
all the rain we get up here you need a good trunk and floor
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:05 AM

Give me call I can teach you how to MIG weld.

Mike

PS: You need shielding gas and some other item too.
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77

Mike

hey, another bc guy
nice to met ya
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Mike

Thanks Mike, I didn't realize I neeeded anything except what came in the box, except my uncle said there is a new mask or something also. I'll definitley be in touch with you. I'm going to see if he'll bring it over to the family gathering at Christmas. I never seem to have time to go to his place on Vancouver Island (French Creek?).
Dave
I'm on the island frequently, but always seem to be in a rush.
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM

OK Mike, when do welding classes start? January? Seriously - we could do this at my shop in PoCo - Dave's been here a few times. My VC is here so we'd even have a cadaver to work on. I'll put on the coffee....
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM

Hey....if you're puttin coffee on, I'm there, baby !!

(A retired phone guy can always use more friends).
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM

New year sound like it's doable. I am in the middle of a kitchen reno, needs to be done for christmas. If the wife found me taking off time to teach welding.... well Iam sure you know that story.
Dave a MIG sound like a great Christmas present. What you need is a a bottle of sheilding gas like Blue sheild from Liquide Aire. A GOOD welding helmet and some heavy welding gloves. The material needs to be prepped. Nice clean metal , no rust and tight gaps between the two materials. After that it's just technique and patience.

Mike
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Dang! I knew you were going to say 'patience'....
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Nice clean metal , no rust and tight gaps between the two materials. After that it's just technique and patience.

Mike
This could be challenging, considering I'm cutting the floor out of the f-85 trunk with my sawz-all, and tend to be a little on the brutish side when it comes to delicacy. I suspect a coaching opportunity for somebody !!

Here's my work from last week. 442Scotty is interested (maybe) in the tail pan, so I cut it out around the end welds and took 2 to 3 inches of floor with it. If he doesn't buy it, I'll see if someone else needs it, or maybe use part of it myself.
Attached Images
1965 f-85 Tail Section (2).jpg (70.2 KB, 34 views)
1965 f-85 Tail Section.jpg (100.2 KB, 30 views)
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM

To get nice tight gaps both pieces should be a little over sized, then attach one on top of the other and cut as one piece. Of course that always easier to say than do! Rust is a no go. Can't weld to rust turns into nothing.
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:05 PM

Is it possible that a mig welder isn't what I need? I'd like to be able to do some frame work as well as patches in the body. Maybe a totally different type would work. Something simple (like myself) would be just ducky !
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Just checked with my uncle. Turns out it's a Miller arc welder, not a mig at all. Not sure how this will effect my welding future, but told him I'd still give him $100 for it. He says it's new, still in the box, actually two boxes that would fill his trunk. Maybe he'll bring the pick-up at Christmas, instead of the car.
Old November 7th, 2012, 06:42 AM

sounds like a keeper dave, i bought my miller 180 a few years back, think it was $1200 with a miller elite helmet. $100 is a hell of a christmas present. doesnt get any better than a miller
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Hi Stan,
The way things go, next he'll tell me it's an arc welder, and requires a flat-deck to move it !!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's one for you....Monday a fellow came by and bought the tail pan off me that I'd cut out for someone, but couldn't connect with. He recognized me as the guy who sold him a 66 442 dash tach about 20 years ago for fairly cheap. Told him I think about that tach once in a while, and wonder why I sold it. He said it gets better....it's still sitting on the shelf where he put it all those years ago. He never used it. I mentioned that it's probably worth a bit more by now (it was a working unit), and he agreed. Maybe hundreds more. I'm going by his place in the next couple weeks. We've agreed we should have coffee and look at his mid-sixties A-body Oldsmobiles. Sounds like he's got a large collection of 66 Cutlass parts and time is nearing to divest himself of a portion. Not building things as fast as he used to.
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Now I'm mad. I just went to put the f-85 manual floor vent in the passenger side of the 442, but because it was an A/C car, the hole is a totally different shape. HMMM......I'm starting to get that "parting out" feeling again !!
Lets see, will I cut the hole out, or cover it over....?
Starting to think I should have stuffed the 455 into the four door sedan, and been done with it.

Also noticed somebody moved the transmission cross-member back about six inches to fit the T-400 in it. Think I need more coffee....
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Arc weder is for heavier metal than what cars are made of. It would just melt holes in the tin. I might be able to trade you a Mig for the Arc. I have several Mig's. An Arc might be something I could use. It's something I might consider if your interested.

Mike
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Arc weder is for heavier metal than what cars are made of. It would just melt holes in the tin. I might be able to trade you a Mig for the Arc. I have several Mig's. An Arc might be something I could use. It's something I might consider if your interested.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Just got back into town. I'll definitely consider your offer (suggestion?). My most immediate need will be for trunk floor welding. Frame welding is down the road, and a big MAYBE, depending on my mood, and what does or doesn't sell. Thanks for the thought. Will let you know when I put the grab on this unit.
Dave