Question about PUI INterior covers/part numbers

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2019, 06:19 PM

Question about PUI INterior covers/part numbers

I have a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 (Viking Blue with dark blue interior) that I have resumed restoration of after a decade and a half where I did very little due to working. I bought the car from my brother who was the second owner and it is low mileage so I’d like to get it done in two years since I recently retired.

I have had a PUI set of front and rear seat covers that came with the car. Not sure when they were bought but the color looks a tad different from the stock interior but then it is pretty old so that may be the problem. I’m not sure. I took them out of the box and it looks 95 % like the front buckets and rear seat in my car. All the covers are there as well as 56 buttons and little discs for the buttons. My 72 Cutlass coupe has a dark blue interior.

I have attached pictures of both the labels with the part numbers. Could you please give me an idea if they are for my car or not? I only see in the catalogs a dark blue listed for that year!

Thanks for any help you can provide, OLE442

Old June 3rd, 2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by OLE442
I have a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442 (Viking Blue with dark blue interior) that I have resumed restoration of after a decade and a half where I did very little due to working. I bought the car from my brother who was the second owner and it is low mileage so I’d like to get it done in two years since I recently retired.

I have had a PUI set of front and rear seat covers that came with the car. Not sure when they were bought but the color looks a tad different from the stock interior but then it is pretty old so that may be the problem. I’m not sure. I took them out of the box and it looks 95 % like the front buckets and rear seat in my car. All the covers are there as well as 56 buttons and little discs for the buttons. My 72 Cutlass coupe has a dark blue interior.

I have attached pictures of both the labels with the part numbers. Could you please give me an idea if they are for my car or not? I only see in the catalogs a dark blue listed for that year!

Thanks for any help you can provide, OLE442

Is PUI Interiors known as a good quality vendor for interior parts? What I want to know is since the catalogs list only one dark blue interior for the 1972 Cutlass and the label shows this is listed as a cutlass coupe 72 dark blue interior shouldn’t that match the texture and the color of the original ? Is it the kind of interior a person would want to put into a decently restored car? not concourse but nice restoration.

Thanks, OLE442
Old June 3rd, 2019, 10:36 AM
Ben

The date is on the label... these covers were made in September 2004.

PUI is "ok" quality. Great for a driver. Their color match is not always the best, which is likely why it doesn't match your existing stuff... although color fade is a real thing, if you were to take a door panel off and compare the color of the little bit of vinyl wrapped around the backside of the edge that will give you a better idea of what the color was like when it was new... its likely darker than the rest.

As for color on the covers... It says Dark Blue... I would assume this is as close to that as they get. If the color is off, its off.

For better color matching, grain definition, etc etc overall higher quality, get covers from Legendary Auto Interiors.

My $.02
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:38 AM

Those are WAY too dark for 1972 Blue. If you want the correct color and buttons and recessed area between the horizontal panels instead of two rows of stitching that fake it (I have 20-year old black PUI covers in my '72 442), spend 20% more and get Legendary's parts. Here is my untouched original blue 1972 Supreme interior - this is the correct shade.
Terry

Old June 4th, 2019, 05:36 AM

The seats (front and rear) are perfect in my '72 442 with 47,700 actual miles except the drivers seat has a tear in it. I am actually thinking of trying to find a perfect set of covers for the drivers seat so I can keep the original interior. The only reason why I was looking for all new covers was that to put new covers on drivers seat or both buckets then the other seats will not match! My blue interior looks a lot like yours except mu seats have 6 and 8 buttons on them. I would have thought all seats would have buttons or no buttons? Maybe I'll post a want to buy in the classifieds and see what I get for the drivers bucket seat. It's a long shot! Here's a shot of one of the rears. I had just wiped them down: