Radiator hoses with correct gm ink stamped markings???

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Lance

Radiator hoses with correct gm ink stamped markings???

Need some help here, as I am going thru the whole cooling system of my '70 442.

Who makes or stamps the correct GM part numbers and codes on upper and lower radiator hoses.

I am looking for the below ink stamped radiator hoses, per the 1970 GM assembly manual.

Top radiator hose:
Code "WF"
Application: V8 all

Bottom radiator hose:
Code "WG"
Application: V8 w/C60 (A/C), V01, Y72
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Registered

I just put one on Sandy's (Cutlassgal) '72, I'm pretty sure it's from Fusick.

http://www.fusick.com/

Inline Tube sells the stamps for the heater hoses if it calls for them and has a lot of detailing stuff, may have those radiator hoses too.

http://www.inlinetube.com/

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Lance

So, no member here either makes or sells upper and lower radiator hoses with the correct ink stamp code markings???

I tried Fusick, and they stated that they took the most universal code and stamped it onto their hoses. Which is not the same code as the GM assembly line manuals shows as being correct for my application.

The guys at inlinetube make some very correct reproduction parts for the 442's, but I noticed that the stamp for my application does not contain the little "AU" marking next to the large GM marking as seen on other GM "A" bodied cars from the same era???

What does the "AU" stamped next to the large GM marking mean anyway???

Was Oldsmobile that different, that their hoses was marked differently than GTOs and Chevelles
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM

The two-letter codes, such as "AU", were used on many parts to make it easier for the assembly line workers to grab the right part. OK, not just the line workers, but everyone who dealt with parts. It's a lot easier to deal with two letters than 6 - 8 digits. Your pulleys, belts, shocks, springs, control arms, throttle cable -- even the frame -- all have their own two-letter code.

The dimensions of Olds, Pontiacs, Chevies, etc are all different. I would be surprised if any other GM car used an AU hose.

For those who are really into stamp marks, it's real easy to find a local shop who will custom make any rubber stamp you want. Typically costs about $10+ per stamp. You then find an ink or paint in the appropriate color and mark your own parts. The challenge is finding an original part with original stamp so you can get your stamp made with the right font and right size.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM

Many original hoses had a yellow or blue line on them.
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:57 AM

in each box of the build sheet is listed the correct component for the vehicle being assembled. this way the person responsible for that particular component knows which bin to reach for.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Lance

A photo of a original NOS "WF" coded upper radiator hose with the little "au" coded markings???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/olds-...item335ca5ddae
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM

As with many parts labeled "NOS," that hose is probably "NORS," meaning it's replacement stock -- a GM part, but perhaps from the '80s. If that's so, I would expect the font and locations of the ink stampings to have changed over the years. The only way to know for sure what the original hose looked like is to find a true survivor.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM

NOS is a part that is no longer in production originally offered by the manufacturer. such as a GM or AC Delco part.

NORS is a part that is no longer in production that was offered aftermarket. such as Standard Ignition, Borg Warner, Wells, etc.

Last edited by Blk71SX; May 6th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Lance

Are you guys saying that there maybe some false advertizing going on here in this eBay ad???

With the powerful resources here, has anybody seen or remember what the assembly line issued radiator hose stampings looked like???

I know that people find original low mileage cars all the time. I also know their should be some people around here that should remember what was on these cars when they were brand new.
Old May 7th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKET VAPOR
I also know their should be some people around here that should remember what was on these cars when they were brand new.
Or there ~may~ be some strange people around here who have KEPT the old original parts for years up in a box in the attic after replacing them during mainenance...

Yes, I admit I am one of those strange ones. I still have the original everything from my '86... Most all the Ford stuff also...
Maybe there WAS a meaning for the madness after all!