Radiator hoses rock hard!

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 08:09 AM

Radiator hoses rock hard!

Hey y'all, need to pick your brains on this. I think I know that answer but don't want to believe it. My dad bought this car off the Mecum auction and I really don't want to tear into it myself but I'm a pretty competent mechanics and I know it's something I could do since I have the time and tools.

Fully restored '66 442 with the 400cu and factory AC. 24,000 miles and no problems up until now. Sounds like I have an exhaust leak on the RH side (passenger) and it's a pretty loud metallic ticking noise. My initial thought was one of the rockers is coming loose or the lash needs to be adjusted. Both radiator hoses are rock hard, I mean hard! Replaced thermostat last year and it opens because the coolant level drops way down when I bled the air out of it. After a nice drive (50 miles) sometimes it pisses out of the radiator overflow onto the ground and I have to add coolant to it later. It's even been pressured up so hard that it's bled past the bottom radiator hose clamp and really pissed out. Replaced radiator cap with a 16 lb cap so it's the proper cap for the engine since I have a service manual. The coolant on the ground is really bubbly also, like it's under massive pressure so that has me thinking blown head gasket. My oil is very clean, not milky at all and it doesn't blow any smoke, none. I even installed a aftermarket overflow tank just to catch the coolant (it's something I can remove later to keep the authenticity correct) but that just to prevent it pissing out everywhere, Embarrassing to pull away and see a coolant spot where you parked on a fully restored car....

My gut is telling me head gasket but no milky oil and no white smoke either. Plugs all look the same so it's not burning it. My next step is compression gauge to see if that points me in the right direction. I haven't done a pressure test on the cooling system but do I need to? Water pump putting out too much pressure and the noise really is just a rocker? No leaks at all anywhere except when it spurts out after a good drive.

Stumped.....

Ugh.....
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Your noise could be a rocker or an exhaust leak. Should be easy to figure out which. Note, Oldsmobile engines have not lash adjustment. For the hoses, they will be rock hard, you may be in that never ending cycle of over filling your radiator. The radiator needs a few inches of head space, there is a level mark on the passenger engine side of the radiator, its just above the transmission cooler line port. When you over fill the water expands and muscles past the cap and onto the ground. Next time fill so that the coolant is just above the transmission cooler while looking into the neck.
Old June 29th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your noise could be a rocker or an exhaust leak. Should be easy to figure out which. Note, Oldsmobile engines have not lash adjustment. For the hoses, they will be rock hard, you may be in that never ending cycle of over filling your radiator. The radiator needs a few inches of head space, there is a level mark on the passenger engine side of the radiator, its just above the transmission cooler line port. When you over fill the water expands and muscles past the cap and onto the ground. Next time fill so that the coolant is just above the transmission cooler while looking into the neck.
Thanks oldcutlass, I think you're right. It's no big deal and I'll do it if I have to, just doesn't seem good for the cooling system to be under that much pressure but I've never built/engineered anything either..