Some pics of original 66 442 Tailpipes

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Ben

Some pics of original 66 442 Tailpipes

Was doing my usual ebay scan, and came across a pretty original 66 442 (ends in about 2 hours) and looking at the pics, he showed a few of the original chambered taipeps & tips!

Pretty cool. Since it was ending i downloaded those pics for future reference.

I know Garner makes the repop exhaust systems, but not everyone needs all that stuff- i just want to be able to somewhat replicate the look of the tails... of course have contemplated getting a couple sweet thunder 14" chamber tubes to use in the tails like how stock was...

anyway.. pics attached
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Ben, I've got those on my 1967 442 project car. Let me know if you'd like to see any other views or pictures of other angles. John
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Car Junkie

On my 67 442 I had Flowmaster 2 1/2" mandrel tailpipes but wanted the look of the chambered "pinch pipes". So I took a pair of Walker Dynomax Turbo Tubes which are basically a chambered pipe/muffler and welded them in place of the last 2 feet of the Flowmaster tailpipe. It looked really good and after I took a piece of stainless pipe, slash cut it and welded it to the end it fooled a lot of people. The only thing I didn't like was the chambered style pipes really neck down inside so I ended up cutting the inside part out to preserve the inside diameter. The exhaust was still quiet.

Thing is I just looked for Walker Turbo Tubes online but didn't find them. Maybe they stopped making them? Hmmmm...
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ben

what i find interesting is the bend up right after it crosses the rear frame- that bend pulls the whole pipe Up so its not visible from the side (see the side view pic of his car)

Also interesting is the only tailpipe hanger they have on there is way up right after it crosses the frame- there must be about 2feet of pipe all the way to the tails hanging free.

Not a lot of point to this, just kinda interesting to see how they did it.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Hey Ben, is your Cutty a four speed? Just wondering because I remember a 66 that had a rare four speed in it that was for sale a few years ago and it was the same color as yours.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Ben

It probably was this car. It is a 3spd Manual on the floor- everyone assumes its a 4spd.

The previous owner put it up for sale around May 2008, advertised it in various places througout the year. I had contacted him around august and got photos of the car and more details, but coulnd't buy it as i needed my 68 elcamino to sell.

I had assumed it had sold since all the ad's disapeared around november... But when my elk sold in january, i took a chance and e-mailed him- he had just put it in storage figured he try selling it again in the spring, and we made a deal on it.

Funny thing is, I met another guy who was initially interested in my elcamino- But then decided against it- he contacted me a few months later asked if i would take a looka t the car he bought- it was a burgandy 66 442! That was about a month before my car did sell- so Now we have nearly matching cars. Pretty funny!

Last edited by RAMBOW; April 9th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Cool story Ben. I just checked out your elk on u-tube. Nice ride. I'm restoring a 66 442. This is my 6th one, and last one. ( I think)

Todd
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
he showed a few of the original chambered taipeps & tips!...........I know Garner makes the repop exhaust systems, but not everyone needs all that stuff-
Okay, Ben, I'm the eternal skeptic, but with good reason to be. Are you sure those pipes are original? Personally, I don't think they are. They have been reproduced for over 20 years now. Walt Vallelunga has been making them and still does. He makes them for '65-'67s and also makes the head pipes, all available separately. The are the the best and the most accurate ones available. And they *are* accurate.

Originally Posted by Four Four Tony
On my 67 442 I had Flowmaster 2 1/2" mandrel tailpipes but wanted the look of the chambered "pinch pipes".
Walt also makes them in one larger size (non-stock, obviously) and I think they are 2-1/2".
walter vallelunga <waltvallelunga@yahoo.com>
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Ben

Its not my car, and the guy didn't CLAIM them to be original in his ad- So i really couldn't say that they aren't original...

I had no idea they had been available reproduction for so long... I just found it interesting to see a pair installed on a car- they look old so who knows.

Thanks for the info on the other guy repopping them- I'll probably look into those when i do my exhaust. They are Really unique- so worth getting a pair to put on, even though my car never came with them.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I'll probably look into those when i do my exhaust. They are Really unique- so worth getting a pair to put on, even though my car never came with them.
For sure! They are so distinctive and unique to Oldsmobile!!
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:19 AM

My 1967 has been in piece for 10 years that I know. But since the repop have been around for 20 years who knows...... John

Kurt, I read somewhere these were also available on the 1965 model. Do you know what years they actually came on?
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
my 1967 has been in piece for 10 years that i know. But if the repop have been around for 20 years who knows...... John

kurt, i read somewhere these were also available on the 1965 model. Do you know what years they actually came on?
'65-'67 Standard with the 442 option, not an otherwise available option.
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Lance

Here is a real NOS chambered tail pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...item1e4e39b2d8
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info Kurt! When I get to the exhaust on my 1965 it would be cool to purchase a set of the repop ones. At least I'm hoping the price is lower than the NOS one on ebay! John
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM

65s were a separate chambered pipe welded on the end of the tail pipe. 66-67 were chambered in the tail pipe itself.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM

1966 442 tail pipes

Hi,
My name is John and I am form San Diego. Last October I acquired a 1966 Olds 442. I am the third owner and the car only had 36,400 miles on it when I took delivery of it. The person I brought it from spent a lot of time looking for a NOS set of tail pipes and he found a set with the GM sticker still on them. They came with the car and I installed them about a month ago. Attached are some photos of them. He did not tell me how much he paid for them but did say they were not cheap. I guess if you look hard enough you can still find them.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...hp?albumid=424

John
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Great pics, John. Thanks for posting. Your car looks pretty clean! I believe you still haven't posted pics yet? Would like to see it!

No offense to and not directed to you, John, but to others: Personally I would not bother trying to hunt up NOS pipes, time or money-wise. Walt's repops are "better" than new, and one way or the other the pipes, once used, will eventually wear out (from corrosion).
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM

One odd thing about those kickass looking and sounding pipes is in 65 the assembly manual calls for them to be blacked out from the tips back. So my pipes should be splattered with nasty black paint to be truely correct.
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Ben

interesting looking at the pic of the NOS 65 pipes from ebay- it appears they do not have the same "upkick" after they cross the frame that the Gardner & the pic of the 66 pipes on that car I posted do...

Maybe thats why the manual called for them to be painted black on the 65's to help hide them when seen from the side?

Interesting stuff.

By any chance does anyone know what those reproduced 2 1/2" 66 tails sell for?
Just curious, but not serious enough/close enough to needing them yet to waste the guys time to e-mail him and ask...

Thnx!
Ben
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by cessna195
Hi,
My name is John and I am form San Diego. Last October I acquired a 1966 Olds 442. I am the third owner and the car only had 36,400 miles on it when I took delivery of it. The person I brought it from spent a lot of time looking for a NOS set of tail pipes and he found a set with the GM sticker still on them. They came with the car and I installed them about a month ago. Attached are some photos of them. He did not tell me how much he paid for them but did say they were not cheap. I guess if you look hard enough you can still find them.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...hp?albumid=424

John
Thanks for posting the pics and the info...
Interesting thing about your pics...the pass side pipe has the OE style crimp bends in it- the drivers side has more generic compression bends.

I wonder if one was really an NOS and the other a repop, or both NOS but made at different times? Very interesting, and cool that you got them!
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM

1966 442 tail pipes

RAMBOW,

That is a good question. As you can see they both have the GM stickers on them. I was told by the previous owner that they were both GM parts.
He could have been wrong. I don't know.

John