trunk splatter paint question

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2022, 08:48 PM

trunk splatter paint question

Hello getting ready to spray the inside of my 70 trunk with some ac delco splatter paint To the guys out there who done this How many cans do I need to do the job? Im thinking 3 Thanks
Old April 15th, 2022, 06:52 AM

Not sure which color you are using. But if you use the darker one, I would prime it first with black primer, and if the lighter color use gray. I did this years ago, and it took way to many cans to cover, but where I primed it covers better. Can't remember for sure but at least 3 cans, I would get 4. Can you get it in a can that is sprayed by a spray gun? Thats really works the best, and the cheapest.
Old April 15th, 2022, 11:39 AM

Thanks im going to use the black aqua i already por 15 the inside of the trunk which is black so im going to start with 3 cans thanks
Old April 15th, 2022, 03:55 PM

If you’re gonna use your trunk regularly for carrying stuff, might be a good idea to scuff that POR. Red Scotchbrite (a few) and some fatiguing elbow grease or stick the pad right onto a DA sander, doesn’t have to be fancy.

I am a proponent of spraying over the spatter paint with matte clear coat. Catalyzed “real” clear being the best option, it really toughens up that finish and helps limit abrading or getting peeled off easily, even with a trunk mat. Matte finish does not call attention to itself or look out of place. At times, I use the blue car like a pickup truck, 100’s of times the trunk has been loaded with tools, engine parts, building materials, hockey gear and all sorts of deleterious objects, still in good shape after 25 years. Never mind what I have put in the car with the top down - plywood, Xmas trees, 10’ lengths of 4’ drainage pipe, hood boxes, etc.

Same old thing, more effort and more money often brings about a better result, usually. Then again if it’s not likely to get beaten up, not necessary.

​​​​​​….

Last edited by bccan; April 15th, 2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old April 15th, 2022, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by bccan
At times, I use the blue car like a pickup truck, 100’s of times the trunk has been loaded with tools, engine parts, building materials, hockey gear and all sorts of deleterious objects, still in good shape after 25 years. Never mind what I have put in the car with the top down - plywood, Xmas trees, 10’ lengths of 4’ drainage pipe, hood boxes, etc.
Oh my, you and I are so much alike. I have transported so many items in the convertible that would make the typical classic car owner cringe. Some folks would faint at the thought of using their classic car as a "car" but we have no problem with that.
Old April 15th, 2022, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Oh my, you and I are so much alike. I have transported so many items in the convertible that would make the typical classic car owner cringe. Some folks would faint at the thought of using their classic car as a "car" but we have no problem with that.
Even with a parchment interior, I think my car identifies as an “Olds Camino.”

Funny thing is, that’s exactly what I’d like to get my hands on but I think people that have created them put so much time, effort and money into the project I would not have the means to acquire one. I have lots of Olds stuff but sorely lacking in Chevy parts for an El Co. Anyone out there that’s aware of something, let me know!
Old April 17th, 2022, 11:08 AM

At times, I use the blue car like a pickup truck, 100’s of times the trunk has been loaded with tools, engine parts, building materials, hockey gear and all sorts of deleterious objects, still in good shape after 25 years. Never mind what I have put in the car with the top down - plywood, Xmas trees, 10’ lengths of 4’ drainage pipe, hood boxes, etc.
​​​​​​….
Originally Posted by Fun71
​​​​​​​
Even with a parchment interior, I think my car identifies as an “Olds Camino.”

Funny thing is, that’s exactly what I’d like to get my hands on but I think people that have created them put so much time, effort and money into the project I would not have the means to acquire one. I have lots of Olds stuff but sorely lacking in Chevy parts for an El Co. Anyone out there that’s aware of something, let me know!
LOL! These comments remind me of hauling 4X8 sheets of wood on the back end of my first 67 convertible. You get strange looks from passers-by when they see things like that.