Please help block heater broken harsh temperature is coming

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2020, 12:42 PM

Please help block heater broken harsh temperature is coming

This is just a repost. I really need help with my car, 2002 olds aurora 4.0. I lived in Northeastern Canada and it's going to be a harsh temperature in a week or so. The block heater on my aurora is broken (smoke came out at the back of the engine). The shop where I brought it in had managed to find the block heater at the front but they couldn't find the block heater plug at the rear part of the engine. They have parts for it but I was warned that the labor would be expensive because they have to disassemble some parts to have access to the engine, so I backed out. They suggested putting an oil pan heater instead of an engine coolant heater (Inline coolant heater) but I don't know what to answer because based on what I've researched oil pan heater is not really efficient.

Not sure what to decide. What do you think is best for my aurora?
Old December 20th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Use the thinnest viscosity synthetic oil called for in the owners manual, use an oil pan heater and confirm that your battery is in great shape. If it is super cold consider a battery warmer. The problem with coolant heaters that are just added to a hose is that they don't put the heat where it is needed the most, i.e., in the block by the water jackets.

Good luck!!!
Old December 20th, 2020, 04:31 PM

The Aurora has the battery under the back seat. In the 1900's they used to remove the battery to the house to keep it cozy. If you will be driving in deep snow, make sure to stop occasionally and clear the snow from the front of the rad. Have a short handle brush and beware of the rad fins.
Old December 20th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Does it have a front and rear block heater? If yes, perhaps you could use just the front one.
Old December 21st, 2020, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Use the thinnest viscosity synthetic oil called for in the owners manual, use an oil pan heater and confirm that your battery is in great shape. If it is super cold consider a battery warmer. The problem with coolant heaters that are just added to a hose is that they don't put the heat where it is needed the most, i.e., in the block by the water jackets.

Good luck!!!
Thank you for your response Sugar Bear.
I'm using 5w30. Putting an oil pan heater would be my last resort, I've asked the shop about it and they are also charging me with an arm and leg, not sure if it will stick on the oil pan, the car also leaking power steering fluid, and engine oil.
I found an inline heater with a built-in water pump so it will circulate.

Old December 21st, 2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The Aurora has the battery under the back seat. In the 1900's they used to remove the battery to the house to keep it cozy. If you will be driving in deep snow, make sure to stop occasionally and clear the snow from the front of the rad. Have a short handle brush and beware of the rad fins.
I'm very careful when driving my aurora, I also don't want the krown oil to get wiped out when driving on top of snow that is why I don't drive on the roads that have deep snow. : )
Old December 21st, 2020, 06:07 PM

How cold does it usually get in your region?

Is the 5w-30 synthetic? Synthetic makes a big difference in cold cranking speed.

I don't see how it could circulate unless the thermostat is open; but, maybe I'm missing something.

Good luck!!!
Old December 21st, 2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Does it have a front and rear block heater? If yes, perhaps you could use just the front one.
Yes, it comes with a front and rear block heater. I like the idea of using just the front one but I'm not sure if it will heat enough. If I'm going to do this, would it be alright to keep the end terminal plugged-in at the rear one because I couldn't access to remove it, then I'm going to cut the wire and just plug in the front one.
Old December 21st, 2020, 06:32 PM

Guys!

I just found out on eBay how the block heater looks like

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/12556399-Eng...EAAOSwVhFfqJEU

It is a BOLT-IN block heater (external) that is basically just bolted to the block. Would it be possible that when this gets wet with any liquid like oil, the oil will burn? I'm thinking this is the reason why there was smoke when I plugged in the block heater cord.

Old December 22nd, 2020, 05:25 PM

Since I really wanted to use the block heater that is in there, I tested the cord to see if it is shorted. I found out the front block heater cable is unplugged, the shop unplugged it and didn't put it back in. I still tested the cord with only the rear block heater plugged in and got 50.2 ohms, does this mean I can still use it? I'm afraid it will fire.

I have attached the photo, you'll notice that it's too tight in there I only slide down my phone so I can take a photo. It's wet, probably krown oil and power steering fllud, and... i don't know what else in there, sorry it really looks gross.

In the photo, it does not have a sign that it got short, the rubber plug doesn't look like it melted. Hope you guys can give me an advice, is it a bad idea to plug it in the electrical outlet again?

Old December 22nd, 2020, 06:30 PM
72 Olds CS

I would plug it in and see where it smokes, if its really shorted it would just blow the breaker (or fuse). It does look like oil could cause the smoke, maybe hose that area w some engine degreaser and clean it first ?

as a sanity check can you measure the resistance of the front heater ?
Old December 23rd, 2020, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I would plug it in and see where it smokes, if its really shorted it would just blow the breaker (or fuse). It does look like oil could cause the smoke, maybe hose that area w some engine degreaser and clean it first ?
That's the problem, I couldn't access it, there's no way for me to clean the area. Could I just spray with a degreaser then after one hour plug it in?

as a sanity check can you measure the resistance of the front heater ?
I'll find the front block heater and plug it in.
Fyi, the rear and front block heater is connected to one power cord, the result I would get is a combination of front and rear but I will check it..
Old December 23rd, 2020, 07:32 AM
72 Olds CS

I would spray it w engine degreaser, wait 10 minutes then wash it off w water. As always spray as carefully as you can you dont wantto soak the entire engine compartment.

Old December 24th, 2020, 09:51 AM

Oil pan heater info

Here's some more info on the oil pan heater from AvE.
And - A good idea to use it to heat a metal workbench.
And - it's funny
Old December 24th, 2020, 09:53 AM

I give up, I just hurt a muscle in my neck and my back trying to get this block heater working

I couldn't plug the front heater back in and I don't think it is possible. I spent an hour and half finding a way to get my hands in there. Also, there is no room enough to put an inline heater.

My only option is to put an oil pan heater. The shop is charging me 2 hours for the labour to put an oil pan heater because my car's oil pan is messy, $320 including the oil pan heater. Are they serious? I'd rather do it myself. My question is, would it be possible? car has power steering fluid leaking and it slides down to the oil pan, is it alright if the pan heater gets oiled?
Old December 24th, 2020, 02:04 PM
72 Olds CS

Yeah that sounds expensive. Areyou sure you need a heater? What kinda temps are we talking about and how often is the car used.

maybe a pair of long needle nose pliers would help plug in the front heater?

Old December 25th, 2020, 10:22 AM

I don't think you will need a block heater. I never used mine on the three that I drove over ten years.
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:13 AM

Not familiar with your car and set up, but in the past I have used a heater that goes inline on a heater hose, it will pulse the heated water through the block. Helped my old Camaro start in Northern Minnesota well below freezing temps. They do make one for the radiator hose still.... Not sure they even make them anymore though for a heater hose install.....
Old January 8th, 2021, 05:45 PM

Hey guys,

I bought my car at the auto repair shop yesterday. They agreed with me that the smoke is not about shorted wire but it's burning oil. The shop does not want to repair the block heater because the car has an oil leaking issue that may start a fire.

They would like to replace the valve cover gasket, front crank seal, p/s pressure hose. It looks like they put a lot of labour hours on the quote because the total quote came up to $1,350, and this is just about fixing the oil leaking issue.

Guys, I need your advice so I could make a decision, this cost is too much for me.

Old January 9th, 2021, 07:37 AM
72 Olds CS

For me thats alot of money on an 18 yr old car that i assume is a daily driver

if you cant do some or any of the work yourself then

i would just try and get by w no block heater. I assume the car is parked outside. You can help by plugging the battery on a trickle charger at night, covering the front of the car w a blanket, or parking in an area that's shielded from wind and blowing snow. You can also try the magnetic block heater you mentioned earlier or an oil dipstick heater.
Old January 10th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Can you give some more information as to where you park this and when you need it to start? These guys are trying to get you to go away because you sound desperate and like you don't know what you're doing, so they threw a big number at you to make you go elsewhere. You don't want to be that poor guy who is technically inept and begging others for things he can learn on his own.

Firstly, clean up the engine. This is cheap and just takes work. Then you can find out where the leaks are and fix them. Valve covers are easy.

But, we really need to know your routine. Is this car parked outside? Do you take it to work? Does it sit outside at work? When do you plug it in? Giving us this information will not cost you anything. Do you leave it plugged in all night long?

I recommend you clean the pan, get a cheap stick on pan heater, and use it. Wipe the pan down every few days for the leak. There's no exposed wires on the pan heater. Also, get a dipstick heater. Another thing you can do is put an incandescent lightbulb under the car and turn that on. Is the car a shitbox or is it worth putting money into? It sounds, based on what you're telling us and where you live, that it's not worth putting big money into.
Old January 17th, 2021, 07:44 PM

For me thats alot of money on an 18 yr old car that i assume is a daily driver

if you cant do some or any of the work yourself then

i would just try and get by w no block heater. I assume the car is parked outside. You can help by plugging the battery on a trickle charger at night, covering the front of the car w a blanket, or parking in an area that's shielded from wind and blowing snow. You can also try the magnetic block heater you mentioned earlier or an oil dipstick heater.
I don't know where to put the magnetic block heater but the oil pan and it's aluminum it won't stick. Since the aurora has two block heater (front and rear). Would it be okay to just plug-in the front one? i just need to modify the cable.
Old January 17th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I think resolving a large oil leak is certainly in order. However, I'd have to convince myself each of the above are contributing to the heating of oil and production of soot and smoke from heated oil.
Consider the position/location of the rear block heater in relation to the items mentioned to stop the oil leak. (1) I think the valve cover gaskets make sense since the rear block heater is most likely below the level of the valve gaskets and oil running downwards would come into contact with the block heater; (2) the P/S pressure hose makes sense as it most likely is spraying and/or resides close enough to the engine to allow seepage and runoff to or near the rear block heater; and, (3) if the block heater is located above the front crank seal, it's doubtful R&R of the front crank seal will reduce engine oil coming into contact w/ the rear block heater. I'd have a hard time trying to justify R&R of the crank seal (in particular the front crank seal) as a contributing factor of the oil coming into contact w/ the rear block heater.

So, it would appear to me (perhaps incorrectly) R&R of the valve cover gasket(s) & R&R of the P/S steering pressure hose may be the most significant contributing factors but R&R of those two items should be a very less expensive proposition than R&R of the front crank seal?
Yes it will continue to make the rear block heater wet until the oil leaking is fixed but I probably just going to wait for spring to get this repaired

I'm thinking to just use the front block heater?
Old January 17th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Can you give some more information as to where you park this and when you need it to start? These guys are trying to get you to go away because you sound desperate and like you don't know what you're doing, so they threw a big number at you to make you go elsewhere. You don't want to be that poor guy who is technically inept and begging others for things he can learn on his own.

Firstly, clean up the engine. This is cheap and just takes work. Then you can find out where the leaks are and fix them. Valve covers are easy.

But, we really need to know your routine. Is this car parked outside? Do you take it to work? Does it sit outside at work? When do you plug it in? Giving us this information will not cost you anything. Do you leave it plugged in all night long?

I recommend you clean the pan, get a cheap stick on pan heater, and use it. Wipe the pan down every few days for the leak. There's no exposed wires on the pan heater. Also, get a dipstick heater. Another thing you can do is put an incandescent lightbulb under the car and turn that on. Is the car a shitbox or is it worth putting money into? It sounds, based on what you're telling us and where you live, that it's not worth putting big money into.
I parked outside. This is my daily driver car. No plug at work. I haven't plug my block my heater since the weather got cold.

The exterior of the car still looks great and no rust but the mileage is now at 280,000+ already so I'm not sure if it is worth repairing it. Started to have this problem only when the weather got cold. This car was never used in winter. It was running fine for two months then this oil leaking happened.

Someone here in the post said about inline block heater, I would like that but I'm not sure if there is enough room to put a heater in there, any ideas. or should I just use the front block heater?
Old January 19th, 2021, 08:39 AM

Ok, understood. Please investigate dip stick heater. Use the front block heater for now. Consider a lightbulb on a drop light work lamp, you can put it under the car at night. It actually helps a lot. Consider also an electric blanket to lay over the engine, under the hood, at night at a lower setting.
Old May 1st, 2021, 07:05 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I didn't use my car during the low temperature. I was able to work from home.

Anyway, winter is over now, I'll have a lot of time to think what type of heater I will install.