Auxiliary Electric Fan

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:00 AM

Auxiliary Electric Fan

I have some questions that may sound a little silly regarding my desire to add an auxiliary electric fan. My reasoning for adding the fan is with all my success in reducing temperatures with my four core rad addition, the temp will still creep up in a long lineup. I haven't overheated the 6 blade fan 455 yet but would like to keep it that way. So here are my questions about adding an electric fan in front of the rad.

1. When it is not in use does the free spinning (when not in use) electric fan cause issues at speed like air restrictions severe enough not make it worthwhile?

2. What happens to the energy created by the free spinning fan. Do I need to worry about wiring getting hot or burning up when the fan is off (It now being a small generator).

3. What kind of CFM would I need to enable my big block to idle for extended periods in a lineup?

Personally, I think an overdrive pulley on the water pump would help if the make them. It just doesn't seem to move the water fast enough at idle.

Thanks,
Randy
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
I have some questions that may sound a little silly regarding my desire to add an auxiliary electric fan. My reasoning for adding the fan is with all my success in reducing temperatures with my four core rad addition, the temp will still creep up in a long lineup. I haven't overheated the 6 blade fan 455 yet but would like to keep it that way. So here are my questions about adding an electric fan in front of the rad.

What temp is it creeping to?

1. When it is not in use does the free spinning (when not in use) electric fan cause issues at speed like air restrictions severe enough not make it worthwhile?

It may.

2. What happens to the energy created by the free spinning fan. Do I need to worry about wiring getting hot or burning up when the fan is off (It now being a small generator).

This is a non issue as any small amount of power generated has no where to go in an open circuit.

3. What kind of CFM would I need to enable my big block to idle for extended periods in a lineup?

Don't know, you may call some tech service people at the manufacturer level to give you an idea.

Personally, I think an overdrive pulley on the water pump would help if the make them. It just doesn't seem to move the water fast enough at idle.

If you are using all stock parts I doubt this is an issue.

Thanks,
Randy
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM

Thanks Eric, the temp creeped up to 210 and climbing before I moved through the lineup so I haven't tested it thoroughly for maximum temp, I just thought I'd try to control it better when idling without having to turn on the defroster in 90d heat. Your answer to number 2 pushes me just to try one and see. They seem to be quite inexpensive on fleabag.

Randy
Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:56 PM

more details

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Thanks Eric, the temp creeped up to 210 and climbing before I moved through the lineup so I haven't tested it thoroughly for maximum temp, I just thought I'd try to control it better when idling without having to turn on the defroster in 90d heat. Your answer to number 2 pushes me just to try one and see. They seem to be quite inexpensive on fleabag.

Randy
210 is nothing to worry about. When I towed an open trailer with my 80 GMC the 455 would turn 3300 rpm for hours on end & run at 200-210 the hole time. Lots of guys grab fans off of Aerostar vans & such and use them for additional cooling. Also consider moving up to a 7 blade fan for additional cooling.