coolant leak behind upper timing cover

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:09 PM

coolant leak behind upper timing cover

suddenly the area of the timing cover behind the fuel pump sprung a small run. its pretty noticeable, im in damage control here. im hoping there is some sort of remedy even if i find something tough enough to seal it if only for a little while. the process behind removing this timing cover seems really involved and any way to avoid this that's possible would help greatly. thanks!
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:15 AM

Sounds like your going to have to reseal the front cover. It can be done with the engine in the car but it takes some time. Might be easier to pull the engine and do a new oil pan gasket as well.
Old April 6th, 2014, 03:31 AM

impossible. im not pullin this big stupid thing out. nkt only do i not have the facility im not getting new mounts and seals and taking everythin off up front, or paying some ******* a grand to do it. no way ill sell it first. im gonna try to patch it with some black silicone.
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:11 AM
1967 442

I had a similar problem only that I did not seal it properly to begin with. I could not get the cover off without dropping the oil pan because the cover has a flange on the inside that the pan's front rope/rubber seal is attached. When bolted down, the pan prevents the cover from coming off properly.
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:33 AM

You can absolutely do this job in the car as I've done it twice. You can raise the motor enough to clear lowering the pan without removing the motor. I actually made a jig that I use to raise the motor using a floorjack and then rest it on jack stands and it works beautifully. ..with no engine hoist needed. It's rock solid and much safer then hanging the engine on a hoist while working on it. Not to say you can't use a traditional hoist of course, this is just safer and easier.

Long and short of it, you can do it without removing the motor.
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If the leak is where you think it is (and this is your third attempt at locating it: First you thought it was a brake fluid leak and destroyed a brake line, second you thought it was a transmission cooer line), then you really don't have much choice: The timing case has to come off to be sealed, because the leak is at the top of the case, and if it's running out the bottom, there is no way to seal it from the outside.

You can see the problem here:

That being said, it is very possible that the leak is from a bad water pump seal, and all you need to do is replace the water pump.
I would clean the engine thoroughly and follow the leak carefully to be sure.
You can use an ultraviolet light in a dark room to help, as modern antifreeze has fluorescent dye in it.

If this is too much for you, Englishtown is this coming week.
I am certain that if you park it in the lot with a big For Sale sign on it, and if you walk around with a sign on your back with a picture of the car on it, you will get back what you have into it.

Finally, for the umpteenth time, please do not start identical threads on the same subject. It confuses everyone.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
394 Coolant Flow.jpg (122.7 KB, 71 views)
Old April 6th, 2014, 05:24 AM

I actually only started this one because I had put a serious engine problem in the general discussion thread, which isn't really the place for it.its definitely in the cover, the water pump looks changed and the gasket is good and newer. but the way I sees it I either lift the big engine and get involved with a giagantically stupid project for such a small issue and and the timing cover seal is replaced or im beat. so I guess moral of the story is im just beat. im gonna plug a rag in it and draw up a sign today. so oh well I guess, no need to even go on with the discussion. thanks and have a great sunday everyone, I know I certainly am now.

Last edited by 63super88; April 6th, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Hookers under Hood

I hope you enjoy your Sunday, If you want a Band-Aid fix, you can buy a roll of brass shim anything from .001 and up. I would get a roll of .005 and cut lengths with scissors and push the necessary thickness amount in to where the leak is then use sealer. This will work!! "Not steel shim stock.... brass shim". This also works on exhaust manifold gasket leaks. Hope you get-r-fixed.