Intake Manifold Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Intake Manifold Oil Leak?

So I'm sitting here at work thinking about my 72 olds with a 455. Just thought I would throw this out there for any input. I have a small oil leak coming from somewhere on my engine. Before the winter I changed the passenger side valve cover gasket thinking that would help because I knew there was some oil leaking towards the back. That helped, but after driving last weekend I noticed I still have a leak coming from somewhere.

I'm debating just changing the intake manifold gasket. I have heard they can create oil leaks as well, is this true? I'm learning everything as I go so I know these may sound like dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn on my own and enjoy working on the car anyway. Any input is appreciated.

No pics to post as I'm at work
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kirk455
So I'm sitting here at work thinking about my 72 olds with a 455. Just thought I would throw this out there for any input. I have a small oil leak coming from somewhere on my engine. Before the winter I changed the passenger side valve cover gasket thinking that would help because I knew there was some oil leaking towards the back. That helped, but after driving last weekend I noticed I still have a leak coming from somewhere.

I'm debating just changing the intake manifold gasket. I have heard they can create oil leaks as well, is this true? I'm learning everything as I go so I know these may sound like dumb questions, but I'm trying to learn on my own and enjoy working on the car anyway. Any input is appreciated.

No pics to post as I'm at work
It's very common for the rubber seals at the front and/or back of the intake to squeeze out of place and allow oil to leak. Some folks (myself included) just throw them away and use a thick bead of RTV at the front and back along the sealing edge on the block.
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:28 AM

You didn't really say where you're finding oil on your manifold. That would help.

Another possible source of the oil is the PCV system. Check the hoses, tubes, and valve for secure fit.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:30 AM

It's leaking somewhere towards the back of the engine. I'm not sure if it's the Intake Manifold though or the valve cover gasket. I changed out the valve cover gasket last night so I'm hoping that fixed the problem. It's not a huge leak, but enough to annoy me.