Tips on pulling 68 rocket 400 mated to a th350/400

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2024, 10:30 AM

Tips on pulling 68 rocket 400 mated to a th350/400

Hey guys, this spring I’d like to pull the motor and trans on my 68 442, it’s been locked up since I pulled it out of the shed it had been sitting in since the 90’s and last fall I took the intake and heads(with exhaust manifolds attached) off of it. I would like to pull the motor and trans together but was wondering if the weight would be too much for a cherry picker, any advice would be appreciated!
Old April 15th, 2024, 11:31 AM

I always pull tran with engine, using a carb plate. You probably need a person to help. so you can tilt or lift it to get it in and out.
Old April 15th, 2024, 11:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I always pull tran with engine, using a carb plate. You probably need a person to help. so you can tilt or lift it to get it in and out.
Sorry, that would scare the crap out of me. Pulling the engine and trans together is common, but you need to use an engine tilter to get it at the correct angle to get it out of the car. This is a lot easier if the front end is off.
Old April 15th, 2024, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
would it be feasible to do it without a carb plate since I already have the heads and intake off of it and just use the old head bolts as anchor points? I’m willing to pull the motor without the trans attached I just really don’t want to put the heads and intake back on it
Old April 15th, 2024, 05:23 PM

I wouldn't use head bolts. Consider putting a well secured sling under it.
Old April 15th, 2024, 05:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
I wouldn't use head bolts. Consider putting a well secured sling under it.
Why not? They are the strongest fasteners on the topside of the motor. And since the engine/trans needs to be tilted at a large angle, slings are the least secure way to do that.

Why are we reinventing this. Get a engine tilter. Done.
Old April 15th, 2024, 05:50 PM

"Why not?"

The OP stated the heads are off and asked about using the old head bolts. About 3 inches of the bolt will be sticking out pulling inward bending the bolt with no clamping force. This will be the weight of the block and the transmission together.

I do agree about not using a sling due to the angle.

​​​​​
Old April 15th, 2024, 06:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

"Why not?"

The OP stated the heads are off and asked about using the old head bolts. About 3 inches of the bolt will be sticking out pulling inward bending the bolt with no clamping force. This will be the weight of the block and the transmission together.

​​​​​
A spacer between the bolt head and the chain solves that problem. Alternately, shorter Grade 8 bolts also work.
Old April 15th, 2024, 06:09 PM

"Why not?"

​​​​​
i do have an engine tilter to go with my cherry picker, would shims of some kind (perhaps old deep sockets) to snug down the chains onto the headbolts to make this a slightly better idea? like i said before im willing to pull the motor and trans separately to prevent the bolts from bending/snapping
Old April 15th, 2024, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
A spacer between the bolt head and the chain solves that problem. Alternately, shorter Grade 8 bolts also work.
i had about the same idea for spacers to prevent bending, i've never pulled a motor before so i want to try and do this the best i can by myself. would it be easier to just pull the trans and motor separately since im going to be doing it by myself?
Old April 15th, 2024, 06:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by d4nnyb0i
i do have an engine tilter to go with my cherry picker, would shims of some kind (perhaps old deep sockets) to snug down the chains onto the headbolts to make this a slightly better idea? like i said before im willing to pull the motor and trans separately to prevent the bolts from bending/snapping
Sockets are exactly what I've used before. The important thing is that the chain needs to be directly against the block. Do not impart any bending loads into the bolts. It might be prudent to just get some Gr 8 bolts of the correct length for this. Those of us who have been doing this for a while have coffee cans full of those.
Old April 15th, 2024, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes it does, details.