Inflatable paint booth

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:45 PM

Inflatable paint booth

Having an apartment above the garage where my son and grandson are staying I did not want to paint in the garage.
So I ended up getting this inflatable spray booth.
I am hoping to spray some primer tomorrow.
I am amazed at how big it is. 9x6 M I think pretty it's reasonable at under $900.

be surprised if it will ever go back in this bag.

Old October 15th, 2021, 03:00 AM

I thought they were more expensive? Does that have ventilation also? You could probably get a good paint job in there? Its supposed to get windy tomorrow so I hope you have it anchored?
Old October 15th, 2021, 04:55 AM

That looks pretty darn robust! What is the MIL gauge and material?
Old October 15th, 2021, 05:07 AM

That looks pretty awesome. I've seen those advertised before and thought they would be cheapy. Did you have to buy the inflation fan separate? What about ventilation or a respirator?
Old October 15th, 2021, 06:09 AM

Hello Tkcutlass. Very cool set up. My biggest concern would be static control. Lots of flammable stuff all in one place. Please be sure to do your homework on grounding equipment, vehicle, person spraying. as well as the booth itself. I have seen what a static spark can do and its not fun. Good luck with your restoration, and be safe. I'll be following along to see how this works for you. Greg
Old October 15th, 2021, 08:08 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

It has Ventilation, you can tell by the 2 yellow fans in the pic, but from what I read they don't exhaust the overspray to well. Hope the OP gives his reviews on it.
Old October 15th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
It has Ventilation, you can tell by the 2 yellow fans in the pic, but from what I read they don't exhaust the overspray to well. Hope the OP gives his reviews on it.

I'm pretty sure the yellow fans are for inflation of the frame, not ventilation; like on a kids' bouncy-house-type thing.
Old October 15th, 2021, 11:04 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
I'm pretty sure the yellow fans are for inflation of the frame, not ventilation; like on a kids' bouncy-house-type thing.
it does both, there are 2 fans, one for fresh air in, and overspray out

Old October 15th, 2021, 08:11 PM

Yes, it has two blowers one for ventilation as shown above.
Thankfully I didn't blow myself with static electrity,
The booth worked out well, the only problem was the user behind the spray gun.
My compressor has been spurting oil and has a lot of moisture, so I invested in a Fuji turbine sprayer.
Took me a while to get dialed in with the sun setting I started paining under the dashboard and created many drips and used way too much paint.
Proceeded to make many more drips on the bottom.
By the time I got to the quarters, I finally got the pattern and flow at a reasonable rate, it was now dark and I didn't have a good light setup so more drips but better.

Old October 15th, 2021, 09:34 PM

This is very impressive.
Old October 16th, 2021, 04:48 AM

Wow, very nice!
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:44 AM
72 Olds CS

Awesome looks like theres plenty of room in the booth.
Old October 16th, 2021, 07:16 AM

When you are painting is "light challenged" situations. Strap one of these "headlights" onto you paint cup. They will flood the area you are trying to paint with lots of light. You can buy these in the sporting goods/fishing section of your favorite dept store for around 20 bucks. BTW, they work great for night fishing too...

Old October 16th, 2021, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=4+4+2=10;1377214]When you are painting is "light challenged" situations. Strap one of these "headlights" onto you paint cup. They will flood the area you are trying to paint with lots of light. You can buy these in the sporting goods/fishing section of your favorite dept store for around 20 bucks. BTW, they work great for night fishing too...

Some great info in this thread. I’d never considered attaching a light to my gun like this, but it should work marvelously. I have the equipment and skilled experience to properly paint my next project, but am reluctant to induce the mess and chemical to my shop. The only concern I’d have would be some freak power outage after laying down a coat of black like a sheet of glass. There would not be much you could do to salvage the situation. Then again, I realize this would be random and unlikely.
Old October 16th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
The only concern I’d have would be some freak power outage after laying down a coat of black like a sheet of glass. There would not be much you could do to salvage the situation. Then again, I realize this would be random and unlikely.
I bought one of these to do my vista cruiser in. They are pretty amazing. I got a 24'x12' because the vista is so long. Worked awesome to clear out the fumes and keep out almost all of the dust. It is not as good as a real booth but considering it goes up in about 5 minuites, stores in less than the size of a 55 gallon drum, and a new booth can be $20K or more it works pretty well. Funkwagon's concern was a concern of mine as well, but all was fine. If you live in a location where power outages are more common, or you are supper paranoid (I was), you can always get a small generator as a back up. I had one on stand by but as I said it was not needed. A few considerations for anyone looking to use one of these; They act a greenhouse and will get VERY hot once the sun comes up. 120 -130 degrees or more at peak sunlight here in PA on an 80 - 90 degree day. This is great for baking in the paint, but you want to start early so the paint work is done before it gets too hot. We set up the both at about 4:00AM and pulled parts out once it began to cool down in the evening. Also, the wind will move them around a lot. Park a few vehicles around it and strap it down at the upper and lower tie down points. The "inlet" filters that came with mine were like giant scotch bright pads a put some crap in my paint job the first time. Used several home HVAC filters taped together in a grid to replace them and it worked great. Here are some shots from my wagon paint job.

Last edited by Loaded68W34; October 16th, 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old October 16th, 2021, 10:54 AM

Another great idea from this thread, setup directly off of the garage door entry to facilitate easy removal back into the garage. Minimal opportunities for damage jockeying the vehicle around.
Old October 16th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Another great idea from this thread, setup directly off of the garage door entry to facilitate easy removal back into the garage. Minimal opportunities for damage jockeying the vehicle around.
I was considering mine right next to the garage but I have a chip and stone driveway and was concerned about making a puncture in the booth.
Old October 16th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by tkcutlass
I was considering mine right next to the garage but I have a chip and stone driveway and was concerned about making a puncture in the booth.
I was concerned about this as well. The lot in front of my brother's garage is all stone. If you look at the pics, you can see where I put towels under the windshield stand legs that were holding the gate and hood. This worked well to prevent damaging the floor of the booth. For the car, we rolled it in the booth on the wheels then jacked it up and put jack stands under it. I used towels under the jack stands as well. For a rotisserie, it might be best to lay a few sheets of plywood down to roll it on.
Old October 16th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Very impressive. Give us your final thoughts when done.
Old October 16th, 2021, 05:59 PM

Guess I got lucky yesterday the winds were almost nonexistent.
I wanted to dry it out today and pack it up.
Went inside for a few minutes a came out to this.
I did use the simple stakes it was fine yesterday.

Old October 16th, 2021, 07:56 PM

I see a rolling frame and a red cutlass siting outside. Next time, put the cutlass on one side, the frame on the other, and strap it from the upper and lower tie points with tie downs to the cutlass and bare frame. That will be plenty to keep it from moving in the wind.
Old October 31st, 2021, 08:22 PM

Got a nice day to do some more painting.
Plenty of mistakes and drips. trying to get them all out before I paint anything that will be seen.
Racing against the temp drop managed to get two coats on.