Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Floor interior rust - advice

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2024, 09:22 AM

Floor interior rust - advice

Good day all. I pulled out the rear seat on my '66 Toronado today to do some cleaning. It looks like the insulating mat got wet over the years and this resulted in some decent rust on the floor pan. There is a single pin hole but overall, the metal seems solid. I could use some advice on it though as I don't really want to go cutting out metal and welding in patch panels quite yet. I don't think it's that far gone.

I was thinking of taking the grinder brush to it and removing as much rust as possible, then doing the phosphoric conversion coating, patching the small holes with a little filler, and then painting it? Should I paint it I wonder?Is that a thing......painting the interior floor? My car is never gonna be a real proper show car, I just want it to be safe and usable.

The source of this leak, originally, was the rear window. It leaked before we got it re-sealed and I think the moisture in the carpet was never properly dealt with. Just looking for a little advice on what I should do next.

Old January 27th, 2024, 10:05 AM

First confirm that the leak is definitely fixed.

Your plan sounds good. Check out POR-15 products for this repair. Whichever brand product line you select try to stick with their products for all of the project if possible. Most product lines are engineered to work well together, introducing another brand could cause interaction issues.
Old January 27th, 2024, 10:28 AM

My car was exposed to rain during its life on the Gulf Coast - pop up thunderstorms with the top down. I wire wheeled the crusty areas then painted the floor with Corroless primer and Rustoleum black on top of that. Then I moved to the desert and didn’t have to worry about all that rain.

Bottom line is painting the floor is a thing.
Old January 27th, 2024, 12:46 PM

Ok this is great thx fellers. I've actually got quite a bit of POR-15 silver left over from doing the exterior of my gas tank and the inside, unseen, part of the rear bumper and brackets.

I'll just use the remaining silver por15 on the floor once I have it all cleaned up. Good tips!