Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Front fender rust repair

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 04:39 PM

Front fender rust repair

Hi guys, I plan to start on the body of my 70 Vista Cruiser this winter. I remember seeing lots of threads about repairing rust on these cars but I'm not having luck finding them. My fenders are rusted in the usual spot- behind the wheel opening. Not only is the sheet metal rusted out but also the inner brace. Could you guys direct me to the threads that have info on this? Also do you have any advice of which patch panel may be better than the others, etc. Are there repair patches made to actually repair the inner panels? Thanks for your help, Greg
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

here is what i did.

Old September 24th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

here is a link to my repaint i did. I did some patch panels all and made. The quarters i did 10 years ago along with the floor pans but those pictures got lost to time. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-part-2-a.html
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:56 AM

Thanks Copper, I like the way you did that. I hope to keep the outer edges also to keep the general bend shape but the whole bottom may be gone. I have 2 left and 3 right fenders to choose from but they all are pretty poor in the lower rear. Looks like you made your own outer patch panels instead of using the made up ones. There is a set of them on ebay now that it appears someone bought from year one and didn't use. Opening bid is 29.99 w/15.00 shipping each. I assume he would combine shipping so maybe I could get the 2 for about 75.00. Still undecided. I am going to fall Hersey swap meet maybe I'll buy some there. Thanks again for your pics and advice, Greg.