Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

lower radiator seal/baffle

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2023, 10:29 AM

lower radiator seal/baffle

Can anyone tell me the way to put the lower cooling seal thing, the one that runs to the bumper on the drivers side back in? The passenger side is in and looks fine, the drivers side was laying in the bumper. It still has the pushpins in it and I see where they go, but for the life of me i can't get it in and get it to clear the round bumper brace which it has a cut out for. Any help or a picture would be wonderful.
Thanks
Old November 14th, 2023, 07:50 PM

I keep big cars, not Cutlass/442’s. If it’s any help, the basic idea with the rubber curtains in front of the radiator is that they act as a “front shroud”. In my experience, they’re d*mn near as important as the rear shroud for a cool running car. I believe the importance of these curtains is under-reported as a critical cooling system element.

What you want to do is secure them using whatever means available - slots, slits, holes, fasteners, pushpin locks, etc to the bumper/and radiator support so that they prevent air from flowing _around_ the radiator core and force air _through_ it.

The main thing is that all of the rubber curtains - left, top, right & bottom - force air through the radiator core and don’t let any (or as little as possible) flow around the top, sides, or bottom of the radiator.

If it were me, I’d use the same fasteners all the way ‘round if possible. If not, use the minimum number of fastener types so the curtains are easy to remove in future.

Chris
Old November 17th, 2023, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info, I got it back in there but I don't like the look of it (Bunched up around the round brace), if anyone has a picture of a installed one I would appreciate it.