Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Trunk weatherstripping 66'

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Trunk weatherstripping 66'

Good day all,

Is the weather stripping around the trunk somewhat generic? I will have to replace the entire trunk seal on my 66' Toronado and would like to pick up some bulk stuff that I can put on. Just looking for a source for the stuff.

Thanks!
Old November 8th, 2023, 03:21 PM

A good bet depending on the original profile of the Toro trunk seal would be to start what they used in the 88’s and 98s. Search Metro, Steele and Soffseal catalogs for the trunk rubber for ‘66-66 olds 98. Since the 98 was a larger trunk, you’ll have more material to use to get the Toro done correctly, if the shape/profile is correct.

As I recall each of those rubber reproduction manufacturers have many shapes of generic seals you can deploy. You can guess about the height of the vertical part of the seal and within reason about the lip shape - it bends to seal. But you will want to measure the width of the square channel the seal fits into so you get right square end and it seals tight.

Last tricks: 1) clean and degrease the retention channel thoroughly; 2) don’t glue in the seal on your first go - cut it extra long so you can not pull the seal length tight and stretch it into not-sealing - then bunch it up (compress it a bit) where you see or suspect gaps to get a really good seal. 3) Only glue it when you’re satisfied you’ve filled the seal void. 4) Aesthetically, if you care, one good place to have the seal ends meet is in the middle of the locking mechanism so the whole thing looks almost like one piece.
Old November 8th, 2023, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ourkid2000
Good day all,

Is the weather stripping around the trunk somewhat generic? I will have to replace the entire trunk seal on my 66' Toronado and would like to pick up some bulk stuff that I can put on. Just looking for a source for the stuff.

Thanks!
Some advice from here in Manitoba: don't replace it if it doesn't leak! Based on my experience with my Ninety Eight.

At the very least, read this thread first:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ip-66-a-94284/

Old November 9th, 2023, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by pfriesen
Some advice from here in Manitoba: don't replace it if it doesn't leak! Based on my experience with my Ninety Eight.

At the very least, read this thread first:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ip-66-a-94284/
Thanks for that! Good advice in that thread. Unfortunately, I have to replace mine because the old one had to be removed for some rear body work.