As Seen on Roadkill

1968 Delta Drums

Currently on the hunt for drums for my 68 delta 88 town sedan
A part number? Used but good?
Anything is better than the warped mess that I have on it right now
All I can tell right now is that it is not 9 inch brakes
They look to be 11 or maybe 12?
Old January 31st, 2023, 11:09 AM

Have you taken the drums into a shop to see if they can be turned?
Old January 31st, 2023, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
^^^THIS! Drums for these cars are pretty much unobtanium. Craig at MobileParts may have more now - at one point I had cleaned him out of all the NORS ones he had. The specs on the brakes are listed at the end of Section 5 in the 1968 Chassis Service Manual. The 1968 Delta used 11" x 2.75" front brakes and 11" x 2" rear brakes.

I should add that as rare as it is to find a place to turn drums anymore, and given the difficulty in obtaining replacement drums for this car, I STRONGLY suggest that you take them to a reputable, full-service automotive machine shop to be turned.
Old January 31st, 2023, 01:05 PM
As Seen on Roadkill

Originally Posted by Olds64
Yeah and the hub face has been bent. I assume that someone tried to beat out the hubs/studs with a hammer and bent the front drums. I’m going to try and convert it to 11x2s in the front and use Chevy 11x2 drums this weekend
Old January 31st, 2023, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VisbleBoatmobile
Yeah and the hub face has been bent. I assume that someone tried to beat out the hubs/studs with a hammer and bent the front drums. I’m going to try and convert it to 11x2s in the front and use Chevy 11x2 drums this weekend
That's a REALLY bad idea. Aside from the obvious reduced braking force and screwed-up front/rear brake bias, think for a minute how you would convert those. The drum is still 2" deep. The backing plates are sized for 2.75" shoes, so the 2" shoes would be 3/4" out of the drums, leaving only 1.25" of engagement. If you think you're going to put the Chevy backing plates on the Olds spindles, think again. The Chevy spindles are completely different. Nothing from the suspension or steering interchanges. Oh, and Impalas of that vintage use a 4.75" wheel bolt pattern, not 5" like the Olds. And no, the Chevy hubs won't fit on the Olds spindles. The wheel bearings are different diameters.
Old January 31st, 2023, 03:11 PM

As a possible solution, Kanter Auto may be able to help. I would speak to them to verify for sure their product will fit. They do not look like the original 'bell' style drums, in fact, they remind me of the finned drums used on some late 1960's full-size Dodge. Try them if Craig at Mobile has no O/E ones.
https://www.kanter.com/i-30559268-br...e%3DOLDSMOBILE
Old February 1st, 2023, 04:36 AM

If you can get replacements from Kanter go that way. Even if they're drop forged Chinesium.
Old February 1st, 2023, 05:44 AM
As Seen on Roadkill

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's a REALLY bad idea. Aside from the obvious reduced braking force and screwed-up front/rear brake bias, think for a minute how you would convert those. The drum is still 2" deep. The backing plates are sized for 2.75" shoes, so the 2" shoes would be 3/4" out of the drums, leaving only 1.25" of engagement. If you think you're going to put the Chevy backing plates on the Olds spindles, think again. The Chevy spindles are completely different. Nothing from the suspension or steering interchanges. Oh, and Impalas of that vintage use a 4.75" wheel bolt pattern, not 5" like the Olds. And no, the Chevy hubs won't fit on the Olds spindles. The wheel bearings are different diameters.
And that was my next question. I wasn't sure if it used the 4.75 lug pattern. I'm definitely going to go with the ones from Kanter granted they fit. Below is a few pics of my drums just to verify

Passenger

Driver with speedo cable thing