Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Idiots don't need to ask for parts

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2024, 08:04 PM

Idiots don't need to ask for parts

I'm so damn done with anyone thinkin 58 year old parts are going to be perfect. Especially for a reasonable price.
Old May 1st, 2024, 08:13 PM

And folks who expect a 50+ year old car has all its original parts. I was replacing worn out original parts with auto parts store replacement parts in the 1980s. Back then it was just a used car, duh.
Old May 1st, 2024, 08:31 PM

Absolutely right
Old May 1st, 2024, 08:51 PM

People that think 58 year old parts are going to be perfect

I'm done dealing with idiots that think 58 year old parts are going to be perfect at a reasonable price. This forum pisses me off when looking for a rare part or parts and think everything will be perfect. Screw all of them and tell them to buy NOS at 300 percent more. People are total ******** for this.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

I suffer from IP, maybe some of you guys do too and don't even know it. IP causes fits of high blood pressure, episodes where your eyes glaze over as your mind wanders off to...

Ignorant People is a real disease.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I suffer from IP, maybe some of you guys do too and don't even know it. IP causes fits of high blood pressure, episodes where your eyes glaze over as your mind wanders off to...

Ignorant People is a real disease.
I hear you. The thought of a 58 year old part that has been (in service) is going to be like new is totally ignorant. However it seems that there are more of these special people around today. I blame it on the education system or the lack there of. Lol

I brought a nos 6212 in the box. I still wouldn't run it before going through it.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, is this thread about something in particular, or just a general rant about a life of selling car parts?
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:17 AM

I sold a rear pair of 1966 F85 deluxe wheel moldings and gave one front one I had along with them for a reasonable price. Shipping was $15 more than I quoted and someone is complaining one had a ding in them. Go try to find perfect ones for what this person paid. Jesus.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:32 AM

Not meaning to start an argument here, but exactly how were these parts portrayed/described to the buyer? If I'm told that a part is in "good shape" or something similar, I would expect, in a case like this, it to be free of dents, large or small. If there are any at all, I expect them to be mentioned and maybe sent a photograph of them. I don't know. I certainly don't expect to be told to #)%$ off and told what did I expect for 50-year-old parts.

All I know is, there are always two sides to every story.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 06:35 AM

You are correct. They were not stated as perfect and never implied as such. Then he made a comment that he needed all 4 when I told him I only had 2 but found one front and gave it to him.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:03 AM

Another problem is even NOS parts are NOT usually perfect.
Factory mars and blemishes and then bouncing around in boxes in peoples parts collection takes it's toll.
60 year old parts are still 60 years old.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:14 AM

The age of a part has nothing to do with it. It's not difficult to fully describe a part's condition and, even better, send a photo or two of it. If I'm told that a part has no dents, to go back to the situation here, then I don't care if the part is 5 years old or 500 years old. I expect it to have no dents. This isn't rocket science, and it isn't up to me to "realize that the part is old and that it's not going to be perfect" or words to this effect. Two year old parts can bounce around in a box just as much as a 20 year old part can.

It sounds like the buyer in the situation here is a jerk. The world is full of them. I wouldn't do business with him again as I'm sure the OP won't.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 04:19 PM

I'll echo jaunty75's comments. Age of the part is secondary. As a seller I should honestly, thoroughly, and accurately describe the item for sale. Detailed photos do well here. As a buyer I should ask all the questions that important to me to understand if the item will meet my needs. The objective is the expectations of both the buyer and seller are met--no surprises for either party. My pet peeve, if shipping is not included in the price then add the actual shipping cost, the buyer has no justification to take issue with that. (I recently bought an item with an inflated shipping price, and then they put an adder on top of that for the modest shipping box). As a seller if you follow this process and the buyer behaves unreasonable, its indeed discouraging, all you can do is avoid dealing with them in the future.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 11:59 AM
Lance

66SportCoupe, no disrespect intended as I have been on both sides of the fence with these rare parts transactions.

However, I thought this video was kinda true about some of the "deals" I've been involved with.

Old May 3rd, 2024, 03:12 PM
Past Administrator

Smile

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Just out of curiosity, is this thread about something in particular, or just a general rant about a life of selling car parts?

Yes,