Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Ceramic Coatings for Wheels or Bumpers???

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Ceramic Coatings for Wheels or Bumpers???

Hi guys,
I just completely read the thread on ceramic coatings for paint. I am curious whether ceramic coatings can be applied to polished aluminum or chrome wheels, or to chrome bumpers??? I really hate getting down on the floor to clean/polish my polished aluminum wheels, and wonder if a ceramic coating could be applied to make the job easier and protect them from oxidation, same deal with the pretty chrome bumpers on these cars? Anyone got an answer on this one???
Old June 25th, 2021, 12:04 PM

My experience with ceramic coatings is limited but I coated wheels, chrome and black plastic and all looked excellent when finished on my Miata. I'll do the same on the 55 the next time it needs a wax. It takes a lot of prep work but the results are amazing. My wheels are already painted so I don't see any problem with them. The plastic is quit porous so I felt OK with that. My only concerned with the chrome is if the coating delaminates with time but there isn't much on a Miata to begin with so I took a chance.... Tedd
Old June 25th, 2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
My experience with ceramic coatings is limited but I coated wheels, chrome and black plastic and all looked excellent when finished on my Miata. I'll do the same on the 55 the next time it needs a wax. It takes a lot of prep work but the results are amazing. My wheels are already painted so I don't see any problem with them. The plastic is quit porous so I felt OK with that. My only concerned with the chrome is if the coating delaminates with time but there isn't much on a Miata to begin with so I took a chance.... Tedd
Tedd - Thanks for the response, much appreciated! Really glad you're seeing well enough after your eye surgery to be on here helping us novices out! I wish you a complete recovery pardner!
Old June 26th, 2021, 07:55 AM

Doing good....Tedd