Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

General opinion on ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2021, 03:54 PM

General opinion on ceramic coating

I see a lot of chatter on the innerweb about ceramic coating for paint, and was wondering if any of you have had it done and is it worth it? I keep my '72 Supreme well protected under an outdoor car cover, and I clay barred it and ceramic waxed it about a year ago. I take good care of the paint, so is ceramic coating something I should look into?
Old December 2nd, 2021, 05:25 PM
72 Olds CS

My opinion is "ceramic" is the new "nano" in marketing terms...everything is ceramic these days even the rattle can paint I just bought for my snowblower is ceramic!

your wax is ceramic, ceramic coatings yadda yadda, while some products may derive some benefit from some ceramic component i would guess its mostly marketing.

A while back i worked for a cutting edge "super conductor" company. As gen1 was ageing out and gen2 was being marketed, suddenly the catch phrase was nano pinned ?

I asked one of the scientists what had changed and how the nano pinning was beneficial etc...he laughed and said nano pinning is just bullshit we dont do anything different!!!

I may be way off here but it seems like everything auto these days is ceramic something
Old December 3rd, 2021, 04:34 AM

I am a member of a local Corvette club. I own two Corvette's besides my 85 Oldsmobile. The Corvette's that have been ceramic coated, look as good as my cars that I wax.
I may have to do it more often, but to me, taking care of my cars is part of the enjoyment of owning them.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 06:14 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

I use ceramic coatings for my classics and drivers. The benefits are multiple: long-lasting protection compared to conventional car wax; easy wipe-down; paint looks good and is protected better under the harden coating. I use the Wolfgang Concurs Car Care Series sold by Autogeek.

Last edited by tnswt; December 3rd, 2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:36 PM

I don't care what the catchy name is, and if its used on everything else you can think of, ceramic coatings are legit. I had my Chrysler 300S coated and it looked amazing. It stays cleaner longer, and just a quick wash is all that's needed to knock the dust & light dirt off and it's back to looking great again. People always asked me if I just washed it, and it may have been weeks (no joke) since I washed it last.

I plan on having my new Canyon coated, and also the Cutlass after I get the quarter panels done and the paint cures.

I personally don't really enjoy cosmetic maintenance. I'd rather spend a free afternoon driving it, rather than washing.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 07:49 PM

I like it on my sports cars. It seems to last longer and a leave a higher gloss than the best paste wax I've used. Not all products are equal though. Let price be your guide on quality.... Tedd
Old December 3rd, 2021, 08:01 PM

Correct, it's not a cheap product. The labor to have ceramic coatings applied isn't bad, but proper prep work before the coating goes on can get expensive depending on what kind of condition your paint is in.
Old December 4th, 2021, 05:38 AM

I had my new truck ceramic coated right after I bought it a little over a year ago. It definitely makes keeping it clean easier. Prep is the key, though.

My take on it is this: If you like to wash/wax your car, and do it yourself, grab some Zaino products and prep/polish/coat your paint per instructions (super thin coats) and you will be happy. Once you do it, adding a coat every now and then keeps your car paint pristine. I just use a california duster on the garaged cars and maybe a gloss enhancer every now and again. Occasional wash and bugs hardly stick to it and the ones that do are easy to come off.

If you don't like to wash/wax your car, get it ceramic coated and you won't have to do jack to it but wash it every now and again. YMMV.
Old January 15th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Granted these videos use more modern cars and paint surfaces than a lot of our classics, but I found this guy to be pretty good at showing how the various waxes and coatings work and compare to each other.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xtGBHLT55Q
Old January 16th, 2022, 10:18 AM
Olds Fanatic

I had my new black ATS coupe done when I bought it back in Oct' of 2016...still looks brand new.