Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

who do you guys like for car covers ?

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2020, 10:33 AM

who do you guys like for car covers ?

I have a 70 Rallye 350, looking for recommendations on car covers. Thanks !
Old March 20th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

This has been asked a gazillion times. A search of "car cover" yields:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=5121492

Enjoy.

Old March 20th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have always been happy with Covercraft. I know there are lots of other good ones.
Old March 20th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Olds Fanatic

I have always used California Car Cover with great satisfaction.
Old March 20th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Scroll down to related topics. Lots of good suggestions.
Old March 20th, 2020, 03:10 PM

I am probably dating myself here but CoverCraft Technalon III is awesome. Had it on a 1967 Cutlass for 5 years straight before it started to fray and disintegrate. Went out and bought the exact same one or its equivalent without hesitation. Breathable, not waterproof but water repellent to a certain degree and a soft touch on the paint. Car was aftermarket Lacquer paint and it held up beautifully. Car was kept outdoors the entire time. Rain/water does get through, but that's a necessary evil. Car paint must breath.

Expensive, yes $150-$200 and we are talking 25 years ago. Worth every penny.
Old March 20th, 2020, 07:09 PM

I don't like car covers and don't use them. But my garage for the old car is not a service area, just a parking area. I have covers lying there but don't use them (They accumulated when I buy and sold cars) I just use a duster and spray wax.
You cover the car, then you roll the cover up to get it off, so whatever dust/dirt that has accumulated on the outside of cover contaminates the inside as it is rolled up, so when you put it back on you have the dust being installed onto your car. Just my take on them.
Old March 21st, 2020, 07:02 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by 66luvr
You cover the car, then you roll the cover up to get it off, so whatever dust/dirt that has accumulated on the outside of cover contaminates the inside as it is rolled up, so when you put it back on you have the dust being installed onto your car.
That bothered me too, and it lead me to using a different method of removal. I take the cover from the front and pull it to the back so that the two dirty sides are against each other, then you can fold or roll from there. When you put it back on, you don't get dust on your car.
Old March 21st, 2020, 08:45 AM
72 Olds CS

In the off season my car tends to get covered w all manner of stuff. Right now it's covered w bike and sled parts as well as cardboard and styro.

I Bought a cheap cover from Walmart that keeps dust and debris off and a couple old blankets protect it from my bad habits.

it stays inside so the cover is only light duty.

if it was outside a carport, lean to, or portable garage type shelter ( last choice) would be preferred to a fabric type cover.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 05:00 AM

I've got a lot of background with this. I go with California Car Cover. For outside winter storage I was using the Noah but I have since went to the Stormweave. as it is cheaper and thicker than the Noah. I store my 1994 and 1996 Cutlass outside for the winter and their Stormweave can handle it being on for months. Watch how you clear snow off it though, you WILL rip or tear it if you are not careful. Last year's winter my 1996 Cutlass got whacked with a tree limb during a windstorm and the Stormweave lessened the damage, I've since had the dent's repaired but there was no paint damage.

For spring-summer-fall I recommend the superweave. This cover is expensive but if you have a car that leaks this is the one to get. My 1996 Cutlass leaks water into the trunk via the rear window seal (too expensive to fix) and this cover does not let any water in, even after extended storms.

Also, I would recommend getting their gust guards to really clamp it down in addition to a cable -lock assembly. That battens it down tightly for the long season.

I use the stormweave indoors too, it's the thickest cover they have and I am always plopping things on it and bumping into the car, this cover can handle that. , not the superweave.

Last edited by BlueCalais79; March 22nd, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old June 16th, 2020, 11:01 AM
76Omega

Believe it or not, 'AmazonBasics' premium brand car covers are really good. Especially if your vehicle is outside.
I've tried all kinds; Covercraft, Empire, you name it. None of them have been as durable or water tight as Amazon's.
Oh, and they're about half the price as all the others.

Amazon Amazon