Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1992 olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible parts car

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2019, 11:23 AM

1992 olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible parts car

Hey guys,

I haven’t been on here in years. Life got in the way and I have to get rid of my ‘92 olds. Keep in mind this is most likely a parts car unless someone is very ambitious and wants to save it. It needs a LOT of work.

It has about 210,000 miles. 3.1 engine. It’s turquoise with a black top and black interior. Power everything. The climate control stopped working years ago so I wired a switch so the heat only works on high. Convertible top is fine but has a tear under the rear window. Has an insane power steering leak (pretty sure it’s just the psi line), exhaust leak which I’m thinking is at the collector gasket since the exhaust moves easily. Has new mufflers. Cat is cut out since no more emissions and at one point itclogged the exhaust. I feel ever since the bad exhaust leak it caused a check engine light and idles very bad and drives like its towing a boat. After that it just sat for about a year now. Battery is pulled and on a maintainer. Engine has lots of miles. Leaks oil but it runs well and does not smoke. Trans shifts fine. Was rebuilt at around 80,000 miles. Have all the paperwork. Some bad things, driver’s side fender is rusting. Both quarters are rusting. Driver’s side floor is rusting. Never been stored inside since I’veowned it for 16 years.

I just cannot afford to get it back going again no matter how bad I want to. Never made a post like this before so if anyone has any questions I’d be happy to answer. This is my first car so I could answer just about anything about it. Asking $400 and it will need to be hauled away. It drives under its own power. Honestly I want someone here to take it because You guys understand these cars. I hope it can at least have its parts used because I can’t bring myself to junk it. Letting it sit is just as bad. Just wanted to get this post out now. I live in Union Grove ,wi. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Olds92; October 20th, 2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old October 20th, 2019, 11:24 AM

Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:51 AM
Olds Collector

Hi Olds92: These are some sad photos. I have never seen one this bad. When you add the 1/4 panel rust with the floors and since the whole structure is compromised since there is no full frame, it just does make sense to fix this one. Then add the mechanical issues. I have one and they are a blast to drive. If you plan to get another one, you might want to save all of the good parts your self for your next car. There are lots of good stuff left. Of course, you might not want to drive it in the winter! I like the 65 Turquoise Olds and white Buick in the background. Hope the Olds has a garage for the winter. You did good getting 210,000 from the 3.1. I only got 135,000 miles from mine. These cars are around, you just have to watch for rust.... you know! I have owned one for some dozen or so years with 162,000 miles. It is a no rust California car that I plan to sell sometime. Are both of your door handles broken? The driver one really hangs out. The early ones, up to 1994 had a cool option to have four bucket seats. You might consider buying a 1995 for two reasons; one it is the last year Olds made a convert, and two they added dual air bags which puts the seat belt back on the "B" pillar where it should be located, if you buy another. The top 1/2 of your back seat is better than mine, but you are too far away. Best Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old October 24th, 2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser1971
Hi Olds92: These are some sad photos. I have never seen one this bad. When you add the 1/4 panel rust with the floors and since the whole structure is compromised since there is no full frame, it just does make sense to fix this one. Then add the mechanical issues. I have one and they are a blast to drive. If you plan to get another one, you might want to save all of the good parts your self for your next car. There are lots of good stuff left. Of course, you might not want to drive it in the winter! I like the 65 Turquoise Olds and white Buick in the background. Hope the Olds has a garage for the winter. You did good getting 210,000 from the 3.1. I only got 135,000 miles from mine. These cars are around, you just have to watch for rust.... you know! I have owned one for some dozen or so years with 162,000 miles. It is a no rust California car that I plan to sell sometime. Are both of your door handles broken? The driver one really hangs out. The early ones, up to 1994 had a cool option to have four bucket seats. You might consider buying a 1995 for two reasons; one it is the last year Olds made a convert, and two they added dual air bags which puts the seat belt back on the "B" pillar where it should be located, if you buy another. The top 1/2 of your back seat is better than mine, but you are too far away. Best Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Hey thanks for the response. Yes this will be just a parts car it isn’t worth saving. The driver side door handle is broken. This car has had so many door handles put on I could do it in my sleep. Living in the midwest definitely didn’t help plus it was my first car so it was my daily and drove it through everything. Believe it or not this thing was a beast in the snow. The 65 has a garage and is always kept out of rain/snow. I would keep the ‘92 but I don’t have anywhere for it so I need to get rid of it. Just hoping someone can buy it for parts I cannot bring it to a junkyard.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Olds Collector

1992 Olds Convert

Hi Olds92: You are most welcome for the reply. I have a great interest in those cars. I have a 67 Cutlass S convert and never thought much about the later ones - till I drove one. I call it a slot car. I get what you mean about it being a beast in the snow. It is such a nice car to drive. The combination of FWD and good handling are great for most conditions. After I bought one, I got quite interested in them and bought a bunch of extra parts like two sets of side trim and lenses. I hope your parts get saved because I like to see many of these cars preserved and repaired in the future. They are the last generation of Olds convertibles and have a lot going for them; the glass rear window with defrost sure beats most 60's converts plastic rear windows, radio options, steering wheel controls, power options, MPG, in addition to driving characteristics. I have seen in OCA shows quite a few of them getting collector care now which is a good thing. Maybe you will get another one day. Please tell me which part of the handle is the one that breaks most often. I will save some as I find them. Do both sides break? Where have you purchased replacement handles? Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old October 25th, 2019, 02:31 PM
Olds Fever

[QUOTE=vistacruiser1971;1205461 Please tell me which part of the handle is the one that breaks most often. I will save some as I find them. Do both sides break? Where have you purchased replacement handles? Regards, Trent in Los Angeles[/QUOTE]

To help answer your question about the door handles, both sides are prone to breaking, although the driver side is primary since it is used the most... The lever itself is the major fail area since it is only pot metal and can break with excessive pressure... I have changed a lot of these in the past on my W-Bodies (Which I have since sold)... Also obtained a lot of spare parts over time which I offer for sale from time to time locally or at the Nationals when I go... Reproduction handles are available from most part supply stores...
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Olds Collector

1992 Olds Convert

Thank you Cruzn66: Good information and I thank for your reply. I have owned my 95 convert for about a dozen years and have been lucky not to have either handle break. I did not know repro handles were even made and that is very good information. I am surprised that they are reproduced since it is not a 64 - 72 A body and therefore not the most popular Cutlass generation. As time goes by I do think interest will increase because there are some good features of the W Body cars. I do see them in the junk yards once in a while and will buy some handles. Thank you again Cruzn66 This is sure a great site to share information. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:46 AM
W40 Kid

I know this is an old thread, but do you still have any parts for this??? I could use some if you do. Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:55 PM
Olds Fever

What parts in particular are you looking for??? Strictly convertible, or W-Body in general...
Old May 22nd, 2020, 04:21 PM
W40 Kid

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
What parts in particular are you looking for??? Strictly convertible, or W-Body in general...
Mostly W-body. My inner door panel is getting pretty tore up and this car is an exact twin to mine, But some of the parts I'm after are; a equalizer radio, the dash bezel around the gauges ( Mines cracked and someone cut a hole in it for a switch) and has to be 88-92 style ( I have a 94 and turned out to be different around the steering column) The center console lid, Would like to find a set of nice seats or even the rear bucket seats, And hopefully find out the wiring harness for the radio since someone cut all mine out. I replaced the harness, but I have no idea how to hook the steering wheel controls back up.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by HurstLightning84
I know this is an old thread, but do you still have any parts for this??? I could use some if you do. Thanks!
I still have the car and all the parts. Unfortunately I have nowhere for it to be parted out so I am looking at getting rid of the whole car as a parts car. Are you located close? Thanks for the interest.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 09:05 AM
Olds Collector

1992 Olds Convert

Hi Hurst: Nice outside color on your convert. I could use the top half of the rear seat. However, it would cost so much to ship that it would not be worth it. Mine is not horrible, just tired.

Thank you Cruzn66: Since our last posts, I have taken apart a driver's door and saved the pot metal lever.

Olds92: Nice you still have the car looking for a good place to have the parts used. I wish you luck.

Regards, Trent in Los Angeles

Old June 6th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Olds92

Hey guys,

I haven’t been on here in years. Life got in the way and I have to get rid of my ‘92 olds. Keep in mind this is most likely a parts car unless someone is very ambitious and wants to save it. It needs a LOT of work.

It has about 210,000 miles. 3.1 engine. It’s turquoise with a black top and black interior. Power everything. The climate control stopped working years ago so I wired a switch so the heat only works on high. Convertible top is fine but has a tear under the rear window. Has an insane power steering leak (pretty sure it’s just the psi line), exhaust leak which I’m thinking is at the collector gasket since the exhaust moves easily. Has new mufflers. Cat is cut out since no more emissions and at one point itclogged the exhaust. I feel ever since the bad exhaust leak it caused a check engine light and idles very bad and drives like its towing a boat. After that it just sat for about a year now. Battery is pulled and on a maintainer. Engine has lots of miles. Leaks oil but it runs well and does not smoke. Trans shifts fine. Was rebuilt at around 80,000 miles. Have all the paperwork. Some bad things, driver’s side fender is rusting. Both quarters are rusting. Driver’s side floor is rusting. Never been stored inside since I’veowned it for 16 years.

I just cannot afford to get it back going again no matter how bad I want to. Never made a post like this before so if anyone has any questions I’d be happy to answer. This is my first car so I could answer just about anything about it. Asking $400 and it will need to be hauled away. It drives under its own power. Honestly I want someone here to take it because You guys understand these cars. I hope it can at least have its parts used because I can’t bring myself to junk it. Letting it sit is just as bad. Just wanted to get this post out now. I live in Union Grove ,wi. Thanks guys!

Do you still have this car/

Thank you,

Bob H
bestsounds2000@yahoo.com
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by rhaberm
Do you still have this car/

Thank you,

Bob H
bestsounds2000@yahoo.com
Hello,

Thank you for the interest. Yes I still have the car.
Old June 11th, 2020, 06:21 PM

Do you still have it?

Hey guys,

Old June 11th, 2020, 06:29 PM

I have the exact same car and have been looking for parts. We live about 70 miles from you. Getting ready to do a road trip around WI and want to get all the little things fixed. I need the window switch for the driver's side.
Old June 11th, 2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Paula Schnur
I have the exact same car and have been looking for parts. We live about 70 miles from you. Getting ready to do a road trip around WI and want to get all the little things fixed. I need the window switch for the driver's side.

Thank you for the interest. I am selling it as a whole parts car since I have nowhere to part it out.
Old June 11th, 2020, 07:36 PM

So you still have it? Does the window switch work? Do all the windows go up and down? If so, I am interested in the entire car.
Old October 17th, 2021, 11:42 PM

Hey guys,

Old December 29th, 2021, 08:26 PM

92 olds cutlass is this still available

Hey guys,

Old December 30th, 2021, 10:08 AM

Illinois Midwest car, no surprise there. Salt everywhere all winter long. I've never seen so much road salt dumped on the roads as there is in the Midwest. It's too keep stupid drivers from crashing in winter conditions.

Structurally, that vehicle is unsafe for road use and in an accident, it's compromised. It should be in the junkyard unless the drivetrain is salvageable.
Old March 12th, 2022, 10:30 AM

Hey guys,

Old March 12th, 2022, 10:32 AM

92 convertible parts car

I would like to purchase your 92 olds cutlass Supreme convertible if you could please send me an address I will check into the shipping and get back to you when I have it arranged thanks
Old March 12th, 2022, 01:55 PM

Is this vehicle still available I'm ready to purchase it and then ship it if you can please let me know
Old April 16th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Hey my convertible top busted!

I got my car for $500. I need a new frame for my 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convertible. It’s only at 110K miles as a 30 year old, and amazingly starts still! Underside isn’t even starting rust except for the rockers a bit.