1968 hurst olds possibly

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2022, 06:28 PM

1968 hurst olds possibly

May be starting to look in the market for a 68 true hurst olds. Just kicking it around..Anyone know of one someone is possibly wanting to sell?
Old October 13th, 2022, 09:46 PM

I know a guy in Owensboro, KY selling one.
Old October 14th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
You have contact info? I would at least like to inquire on it. Thanks
Old October 14th, 2022, 08:55 AM

I just saw one pop up on hurst haven, sounds like the same car..Kentucky.
Old October 14th, 2022, 09:11 AM

There is one forsale in the Detroit area. Its on Facebook MarketPlace
Old October 14th, 2022, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
There is one forsale in the Detroit area. Its on Facebook MarketPlace
Thanks, that one is a basket case, I don’t mind doing work, but not really wanting to do a full resto on a car thats in pieces. I am not a professional, just a fairly handy hobbyist
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Koda, thanks, I did talk to Steve, sounds like a great car, nice guy.. he is going to try to verify the carb, distributor and intake codes, he thinks they may be in the garage..the Downside is its a NOM engine and a Ford 9” rear end.. so ever being numbers correct is the negative..will see..
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:26 PM

There's been one in the OCA magazine Journey with Olds.

Old October 14th, 2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
Koda, thanks, I did talk to Steve, sounds like a great car, nice guy.. he is going to try to verify the carb, distributor and intake codes, he thinks they may be in the garage..the Downside is its a NOM engine and a Ford 9” rear end.. so ever being numbers correct is the negative..will see..
Good. Sorry, I worked night shift and passed the F out this AM.

I've ridden in the car, went and saw it. Let me see if I can get pictures up for you. I was impressed by the car, and his price is right for what the car is. Depends on what you want. He talked to me since I edit the H/OCA newsletter and he wanted an ad. Since he is local to me, I went to look at it in case I wanted it. It is too much time for me at this time to take it on. He does have A correct rear, so that would be repairable. The engine is not numbers, and, although that matters to many, still, I believe it matters to less and less people as time goes on, and cars need replacement engines. It's an interesting phenomena to watch, what "matters" to the car community and how it evolves.

Last edited by Koda; October 14th, 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old October 14th, 2022, 03:31 PM

Good. Sorry, I worked night shift and passed the F out this AM.

I've ridden in the car, went and saw it. Let me see if I can get pictures up for you. I was impressed by the car, and his price is right for what the car is. Depends on what you want. He talked to me since I edit the H/OCA newsletter and he wanted an ad. Since he is local to me, I went to look at it in case I wanted it. It is too much time for me at this time to take it on. He does have A correct rear, so that would be repairable. The engine is not numbers, and, although that matters to many, still, I believe it matters to less and less people as time goes on, and cars need replacement engines. It's an interesting phenomena to watch, what "matters" to the car community and how it evolves.

yes he told me you had looked at it..he did NOT mention having correct rear end..I sent him the intake manifold CASTING number, the distributor and the carburetor number as he says he has a lot of parts in the garage and they may be in there. So we’ll see what happens looks like a beautiful car though. I agree with your assessment on original block or not, it’s strictly a vin number stamp or a casting number stamp issue. But then again you’re not paying numbers matching price either. I’ll be the first to admit sometimes I get stuck on numbers matching, simply from investment point of view. Been a muscle car freak since I was a boy and numbers matching is cool but has no bearing on how much fun I have with the car. Basically it’s just a guide line for me on how much to pay. When they only built 515, sometimes you can’t be that picky unless you have a huge checkbook ..Appreciate your info..Did you drive this car?
Old October 14th, 2022, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by v8al
There's been one in the OCA magazine Journey with Olds.

That car was sold a while back, don’t know why the ad is still up.
Old October 14th, 2022, 04:12 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Something you don't see very often anymore -- a nice 1st-gen H/O driver!
Old October 14th, 2022, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Andy
yes he told me you had looked at it..he did NOT mention having correct rear end..I sent him the intake manifold CASTING number, the distributor and the carburetor number as he says he has a lot of parts in the garage and they may be in there. So we’ll see what happens looks like a beautiful car though. I agree with your assessment on original block or not, it’s strictly a vin number stamp or a casting number stamp issue. But then again you’re not paying numbers matching price either. I’ll be the first to admit sometimes I get stuck on numbers matching, simply from investment point of view. Been a muscle car freak since I was a boy and numbers matching is cool but has no bearing on how much fun I have with the car. Basically it’s just a guide line for me on how much to pay. When they only built 515, sometimes you can’t be that picky unless you have a huge checkbook ..Appreciate your info..Did you drive this car?
I should clarify, there is a Ford 9 inch under the car atm. He has a replacement axle with W-27 COVER that is the correct 3.91 to go with the car, and it is the correct coded axle, but it is not original to the car, just a correct replacement. He has several other items, spare engine, 68 SSII wheels, bumpers, and the rear, that go with the sale. He has other things, like a race engine, that could be purchased separately. The restoration was on body, and he makes no excuses for what his dad kept original, had redone, or used repro parts. The current engine has original heads and manifold but is a different short block. It has typical GM oil pressures when warm, and he has a very spastic Sun gauge on it that may be crazy. There is a high pitched tick, which seems to be lifter related. He did not want to drive the car at high speeds, and I rode in the car for maybe half an hour. I did not drive it. It seemed to brake well, turn well, and accelerate from low speeds well. We hit 50 once. The engine would need going over, but probably needs very little, but DOES need checked out.

It has a drag racer's accessory box, and there are three things to it. There are two electric fans and they are on the first two switches. The third switch is an in-tank electric fuel pump to assist the mechanical during 1/4 mile races. It is left off for cruising.