Wanted-- Info on my stolen car

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Wanted-- Info on my stolen car

So as I mentioned in my intro post, I came here looking for some info on my stolen car. It has been many years, and I am sure that the car is gone, junked, crushed, whatever, but I know how into these cars we all can be, maybe you saw something, heard something, whatever it might be. Anyways, it is more of a curiosity for me now than anything, I was paid off on the car way back when, I dont want it back if you have it, and believe nothing will probably come of this post, maybe Ill make some friends here.

My Flame Orange 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertable was stolen out of my driveway in Westland Michigan in October of 1986, the car was a nice driver, not perfect but not junk. it was restored by my father and I in 1985 and it won a trophy or two at local shows, so it was a decent job. It was my high school daily driver at that time, I was 17. Very lucky was I. As mentioned, it was Flame Orange, black bucket interior, No air, 455 (not orig) headers, TH350, black stripes on non ram air hood, aftermarket tach on console up under dash, SSII rally wheels, BF Goodrich rubber. After market stereo in dash, and equalizer in the A/C vent spot at the top center of the dash. The most distinguishing thing about the car might be if someone cut into it, or did bodywork to it. All the repairs were done by riveting patch panels in all the normal areas that go bad. And im sure if the car exists today they look like hell. Speakers cut into door panels.

The car could have been painted and retagged, it could have been stripped and junked, maybe you saw it in a junkyard, maybe you bought parts off someone and saw the shell in their yard, maybe you saw this car with its EQ in the dash, maybe someone made a 442 out of it, maybe its in the Detroit river, who knows. Anyways, I know I have looked at every Cutlass vert with a crooked eye since 86 looking for details, but to no avail.

Vin # 3J67J2M102263

Michigan plate 038 NYY was on the car when it was stolen

This was the first car I restored that has led me into a great life of classic cars and working in the auto industry. You all remember your first one right?

Ill post pics if i can, gotta scan em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140312_121318.jpg (45.3 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by eyespyautomotive; March 12th, 2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Welcome to ClassicOlds, Matt.

Sorry about your car. We definitely have members here in the Detroit area who've been involved with Olds for many years, so you never know, maybe someone did see something back then.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:23 AM

You didn't mention that it was a convertible. That's certainly something people ought to know as it cuts down greatly on the number of possibilities.
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM

Thx jaunty, cant believe i forgot that!
Old March 12th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Again, good luck in your quest.
Old March 12th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Sorry to hear that. My 1971 cutlass convertible was stolen 2 years ago at the Canfield, ohio fairgrounds. Good Luck. I've been looking for mine for too. It was green with gold stripes.
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM

rgk1977442, I did see your ad scrounging around on the net, sorry to hear also. My kids and i look at every classic car we pass, yours wont get past us if we see it!
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:03 PM

My '70 Cutlass S was stolen in Levittown, NY back in 1992. I still carry the registration and I've checked more than 1 VIN at car shows over the years.

Good luck with your hunt, Matt.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:52 AM

That would make for a hell of a story if it was ever found. I know that talking to a few different members on different sites from around the world, a lot of American Iron is overseas. I'd say that they make out a list what they are looking for overseas, and cars come up missing in the US.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:11 AM

I dont know how much of that was going on in the 80's. I guess its possible. At the time, one neighbor said they saw the garbagemen looking at it alot. I always figured they came back and got it at night. They must have pushed it down the street because theres no way the car was started up in the driveway, we would have heard it. Still holding out hope that it was just joyrode around and stuck in the garage of some old home down in Detroit, and one of these days it would show up. I know, longshot. Maybe someone had the title and tags from another vert they cut up and just retagged it and changed the color. Anyone ever restore one and find it was originally orange under that (whatever color) paint?
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Past Administrator

I feel for you because a similar thing happened to me. It is a very hollow feeling to think about something like that. The anger is over, I would just love to come across my car someday too or hear something about it. Good luck.
Old April 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM

Sorry to hear about your ragtop, will watch for it, cars of that vintage were easy to steal. My '65 convert that I got in '75 had a kill switch and I use to take the coil wire with me and lock the hood locks. Good luck in search.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
It's a Cutlass.

So, what would happen if it was found? I mean, is there some limit on how long a stolen car can be recovered? What if it was sold several times, innocently bought with a salvage title or something? Just curious is all, sorry for your loss.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 12:40 PM

There are statute of limitations but the length of time probably depends on state laws. Sorry for your losses guys. This reminds me of a guy i just met with a 70 Olds that had his car stolen. The police recovered it but not before it was stripped. Another friend found his truck in a garage 1 block away. This makes me think about anti theft ideas. I think a thread has been created already. GPS, ignition switches...When my car gets to that nice look I'll have to add a few anti theft devices to it.
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:05 AM

I am unsure how long they will go back, but I do remember when a buddy of mine bought a truck from a used car dealer, was supposed to be all legit. Well about 2 or 3 years ito owning it the cops came to his house asking about the truck, turns out it was stolen and they took it from him. I dont recall how it panned out moneywise or whatever but they did take it from him.

If its a basket case in a field i would have no interest in it, but if its a running drivivng car I might have an interest for my son who is almost drivivng age.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:03 AM

To the top for a new year! Keep lookin!
Old March 18th, 2024, 08:28 AM

Well here I am, almost exactly ten years after my first post, still looking at every Cutlass convertible, wondering if it could be my car. I know its still a long shot and likely never to be found, but, who knows. Lots can happen in ten years.
Old March 18th, 2024, 08:54 AM

I see you're in Michigan. Have you ever gone to this page and submitted a records request?

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/all-ser...ehicle-history

It says that you have to have a good reason to get the information, but I would think looking for a car that was stolen from you would be a good one. Was a police report filed? Of course, the car was stolen 38 years ago. The police department itself may no longer have a record, but maybe your father or you kept a copy of it. Having the police report to show the DMV would certainly strengthen your case.

Note also that, according to this website, the Michigan DMV is required to keep records going back only 15 years. If your car is still in the state and registered there, it would presumably show up. But if it was last registered more than 15 years ago, there's probably no record.

Of course this is a long-shot, but at this stage, long-shots are all you have left.
Old March 18th, 2024, 09:35 AM
Past Administrator

Good luck in your search, hope the pain has subsided now.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:51 AM

Yes a police report was made, I may try that link and see if I could get anywhere with it. I know it was a long time ago and I'm not sitting around daily crying about it or anything, just every now and then when I'm online I search the VIN and look around at some cars to see if anything tips me off that it might be mine. More of a curiosity nowadays, I've had many cutlasses since and many other vehicles. Just hoping it might turn into a cool story someday I guess if I end up finding it somewhere.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:56 AM

To be 150% honest, I think your car probably ceased to exist shortly after it was stolen. I don't know how often stolen cars are resold with valid titles and everything and become part of normal civilization that might turn up in a search like you're trying to do. I know it happens, but I would guess mostly to late-model, daily drivers that wouldn't necessarily attract much attention. Your car, on the other hand, was already 15 years old and already recognized as a collectible. I would think the car was stolen and then chopped up and the parts sold off. What remains of it probably rusted away in a junkyard long ago if it wasn't crushed.
Old March 18th, 2024, 11:04 AM

Good points and likely the case.
Old March 18th, 2024, 01:02 PM

Definitely a bummer.
Old March 18th, 2024, 06:20 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Got to admire your tenacity though, @eyespyautomotive !
Old March 18th, 2024, 07:07 PM

I recently retired so I have all kinds of time on my hands now...lol