72 cs convert floorpan

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM

72 cs convert floorpan

is it possible to change a full floor pan and supports in the car with removing the body ?? How would you weld the supports to the rocker panel ?
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:09 PM

this where I started and this where I am now, but I need replace the other 2 florr supports and a full pan ....thanks for advice.....

Last edited by davepnola; September 1st, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by davepnola
is it possible to change a full floor pan and supports in the car with removing the body ?? How would you weld the supports to the rocker panel ?
If you're talking about the repro on-piece full floor pan, no. It goes in from the bottom. More to the point, removing the floor pan also removes all the body mounts, so there won't be anything holding the body to the frame anyway.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM

So Can I theoreticallly change a floor brace one at a time than go with a 2 piece ?? Is there any links on this site that someone video or pictured the process ? thanks
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:44 PM

Dave, if your anywhere close to Medford Oregon I've got a complete floorpan with rocker panels I cut from a 1971 Cutlass Supreme several years ago. It goes from under the dash to under the rear seat. You'd have to remove your car from the body, but you could weld in one large piece vs multiple small sections. Just a thought.... John
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:39 PM

On my 70 SX Conv, I was worried about body flexing if I did anything to the floor pan with the body off the frame. I cut out the floor pans with the body on the frame. The point where the braces welded to the inner rocker were all rusty, so when I removed them, it left a hole in the inner rocker. It was a pain, but I patched the inner rocker with a long flat piece, then welded the new brace in to the inner rockers (I sprayed everything with zinc paint and weld thru primer). There is not a lot of room to work with, so I tacked them in as best as I could. Then I welded the floor pans to the car and to the new braces by pre-drilling holes into the pans for plug welding. To make it tight, I ran sheetmetal screws from pan to brace and then plugwelded all the open holes, removed screws and welded screw holes shut. Long process, but worth it.

Then................took body off frame and could get underneath and more thoroughly massage the braces around and fully weld the inner rocker repair pieces and the braces to the inner rocker with the frame out of the way.

That whole floorpan only took me a few weekends. The car on the other hand is still not done after 9 years..............