The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Bleeping tire sensors.

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Captain of my ship

Bleeping tire sensors.

Nothing but trouble and right from the start I did not like the idea of tire pressure sensors to tell you your tire is going flat. I don't have a low tire but the stupid computer keeps saying I do. First time taking it in to the dealer was to reset it. Second time it went in and supposedly got fixed with it's regular service. now I have another appointment to go back for the same issue. What are my odds that the issue is fixed? I wonder if I can have the damn things removed and disabled cause it will cost a small fortune once the warrenty runs out.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM

Been there, soon they were "fix" your problem by putting Nitrogen in the tires as they did my wife's SRX. I believe a new sensor from Cadillac is around 60 bucks plus install.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Resident Eskie

What it be on? OOOOh sorry I meant what kind of vehicle are you talking about? I know that on most commericial airliners that the sensor is embedded in the valve stem. Dont know about cars. Might be as simple as replacing the stem

Last edited by snowballs442; January 25th, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by snowballs442
What it be on? OOOOh sorry I meant what kind of vehicle are you talking about? I know that on most commericial airliners that the sensor is embedded in the valve stem. Dont know about cars. Might be as simple as replacing the stem
On most cars the sensor is mounted to the wheel inside the tire.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Black tape over the warning light.
It works for the blinking VCR clocks...
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:05 AM

I have those sensors on the RT Charger. They are truly a PITA. I have to clean them off a couple of time in the winter because of the slush, snow, and salt...
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:21 AM

the tpms are mounted inside the wheel on all vehicles they are the valve stem on most.they use the blue tooth tech. there is no way to disable them you can have any shop reset them but most likely they are faulty. changed dozens of the stupid things you can buy them at napa and carquest or dealers most tire shops carry common ones as well some are 30 bucks some go up to 100

Old January 25th, 2011, 09:46 AM

All because people were too lazy to check their tire pressures and the Government decided that they needed to protect us from ourselves.
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Captain of my ship

This is an 07 Colorado and getting them from GM is no bargain. They are under warranty for now , til the end of this year. They will reset them again no doubt. The sudden cold snap probably does not help.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Can they be thrown away and replaced with regular stems.

One more reason why the government can not be trusted.

Last edited by Destructor; January 26th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
All because people were too lazy to check their tire pressures and the Government decided that they needed to protect us from ourselves.
I sure hope this is not something that will be put on all cars...
Sounds like a much bigger headache and wallet crusher than spending a few minutes each month in the driveway with an air gauge and compressor hose.

BTW, I have heard that a certain car manufacturer has eliminated the dipstick in favor of a sensor. Hope that is accurate.

I can almost see it now in my crystal ball - a sticker on the hood that reads:
"Warning - no servicable parts in side. Opening will void warranty." bla, bla, bla....
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
And now I check mine way more than needed case another idiot light tells me to
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Destructor
Can they be thrown away and replaced with regular sensors.

One more reason why the government can not be trusted.
You're paranoid LOL. Probably what lead to this.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270413,00.html
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:24 AM

I can maintain my own car without the assistance of a government hack, the same people want to take our cars away in the name of the environment.

The requirement for these sensors by a government agency is adding unnecessary cost to a vehicle and is resulting in a lot of people getting ripped off when these sensors don’t work properly. A moron that doesn’t check the tire pressure may not pay any attention to a light on the dash board either.

I can take care of myself unlike communist pigs who put their faith in a government which is spending us into oblivion.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Destructor
I can maintain my own car without the assistance of a government hack, the same people want to take our cars away in the name of the environment.
Sorry, blame this one on the idiot owners of Ford Explorers who COULDN'T keep their Firestone tires properly inflated and thus rolled their trucks over. Since the last thing a politican will say is that a voter should assume personal responsibility, Congress HAD to pass a law to show that they were doing something.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Cutlass Lover

.....All because people were too lazy to check their tire pressures and the Government decided that they needed to protect us from ourselves.

Now that just made me laugh! Sad.... but true.

Ken.... you are funny, lol! I think Canadian money is pretty. Very colorful!
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I sure hope this is not something that will be put on all cars...
Too late. Its is required on all new cars. I think 08 was the first year it was mandatory but has been on some care since about 6-7 years ago. I waste more time dealing with those stupid things daily than anything. My favorite is once a week someone comes in saying they have a bad sensor. "This thing says my left front tire is low and I keep putting air in it and the light won't go out." I walk out and look at the car and see it has tires that are not factory installed. I then walk around the car and see the rh rear is so flat the rim is almost touching the ground. I check pressure and the lh front has 65lbs in it. I then ask so who in stalled the new tires. They say "over at blah blah tire shop" I then show then the almost flat on the RH rear and tell them the shop did not reset the sensors for the correct location and now you have ruined the rh rear tire.

Some people ar so dumb its not even funny.
Old January 25th, 2011, 02:54 PM

had my ford ranger 2 weeks and had a flat,light come on after I put the spare on and was driving away,also I have my winter tires on winter rims,no sensors,put winter tire on in nov.light come on 2 weeks ago.great technolgy.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM

older GM models had sensor rods that detected the way the car sat on the suspension that would indicate the driver of a low tire but not which one... now most cars have the sensors in the valve stem and Fords have a metal stap on the inside of the rim opposite side from the valve stem... have to know these things to avoid damaging the sensors when working with tires... i work at a tire shop but am off work due to getting injured...
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Captain of my ship

The system on the Colorado does not say which tire and lately it has not been any tire. I get them changed at a tire shop , winters every year but they are good and know how to reset the dang things. It has to be in a certain sequence LF RR RF and LR each time taking out 4-5 lbs then pumping it back up , if the horn toots then its set. What a screwed up system.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:59 PM
GM Enthusiast

I'm sure if you took the sensors out and just put in regular tire valve stems that the stupid idiot light on the dash would be on all the time. Then you would have to use the electrical tape over the light trick
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Captain of my ship

Every light has a wire to it. SNIP
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Resident Eskie

Quote " Every light has a wire to it"

Not so. Airline and some light aircraft such as Cessna and the like have wireless tire pressure / temperature sensors. Not sure about the auto some might be coming out soon. Not hard to disable the onboard tire and brake monitior system or the light that comes on.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Every light has a wire to it. SNIP
No wire to cut. Its all computer and micro-electronics.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Dealer reset?

My Aurora only requires you to hold the reset button on the DIC - with key on but engine not running.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Just go buy a dually and you won't have that problem of these sensors.The only problem is when you go get you tires rotated, they don't line up the dually's, go check the pressure but you can't get to the back valve stem. Yet you go in a week before and get an oil change and inspection around the truck and they say every thing is good.Well I tell you they got a piece of my mind. Was going into the city and coming back home with 30,000 lbs on the 5 th wheel trailer. Wouldn't of been pretty