The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Stop the planet, I want to get off

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:45 AM

Stop the planet, I want to get off

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03...ng_collisions/

Apple has applied for a patent for technology that will warn of oncoming dangers to users distracted by their text messages.
An application submitted by the company to the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) (rooted out by AppleInsider) describes a user interface that displays transparent text messages over a live video feed from the device's forward-facing camera.
Your life-saving SMS patent

Thus, the tablet or handset can offer a view of what's ahead of the texter, allowing them to avoid anything they would otherwise crash into.
"The background within the text messaging session can continuously be a live and current video image of the view seen by the camera at any given moment," Apple's Stephen Payne wrote in the application.
"Consequently, the device's user is less likely to collide with or stumble over an object while participating in a text messaging session."
As with all patent application filings, we should note that this is only a proposed design from Apple and not necessarily a preview of upcoming features or technologies. Many such filings are never materialized in a prototype, let alone a commercial product. The document was also submitted in 2012, but published this week by the USPTO.
Still, this feature seems far more practical than other blueprints we've seen in the US patent officials' inbox. We can't help but wonder why someone hasn't already done this. Most of us have learned the hard way that staring at a mobile while walking can often end with in embarrassment, injury, or both.
A recent study of user kinesiology found that the mere act of looking down at a handheld device while walking changes a person's gait and decreases the ability to maintain a straight line while walking even when a collision is not imminent.
Until Apple can get this world-changing alert system onto the iPhone, it seems that the best way to avoid these hazards is to take the drastic but effective measure of not constantly staring at your phone and actually looking up to your surroundings while walking.
The future can't arrive soon enough.
Stick a fork in us ... we're done.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Most of us have learned the hard way that staring at a mobile while walking can often end with in embarrassment, injury, or both."

Most of us? Really?

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Administrator

They need one for some of the gum chewers also.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

New slogan- Apple, encouraging distraction from reality...really needs a split screen for left and right cams to complete the experience.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:45 AM
"me somebody" site member

If you do get off, will you also be ceasing these dumb threads?
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
"Most of us have learned the hard way that staring at a mobile while walking can often end with in embarrassment, injury, or both."

Most of us? Really?

- Eric
A hot looking mobile chick in a very very skimpy bathing suit cost me a grill on my 77 Cutlass a few years back. It could have been worse. So I kinda have to agree with the statement.
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
If you do get off, will you also be ceasing these dumb threads?

I'll just leave this here for ya.

https://uk.screen.yahoo.com/video/pl...144601618.html
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:19 PM

I just say survival of the fittest (or smartest these days).

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They need one for some of the gum chewers also.
I don't think so. Those people most likely cannot walk and chew at the same time.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I just say survival of the fittest (or smartest these days).
Sadly (not to get political...) it's the opposite these days.

The actual requirement is survival to reproduce.

Since you don't need to have two brain cells to rub together to reproduce, and since lack of self-control, lack of planning skills, and lack of common sense all contribute to one's personal rate of reproduction, it turns out that the least-smart (as well as the most crazy, most self-centered, and most drug-addicted) are the ones who survive to reproduce far better than the smartest, even if they Darwin themselves out of the gene pool shortly after doing so.

The smartest don't have a chance.

- Eric
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'd rather have the patented technology that warns a driver of impending collisions for up to 2 vehicles in front.

Actually, I'd rather see all the moron drivers get off the road so driving could get back to when driver skill was actually something to be proud of. The trend is heading towards driverless cars, which will have the same acceptance level as electric vehicles do now.
Old March 29th, 2014, 04:52 AM

Survival of the fittest and smartest went out the window. It is because of the safety and product laws that came about in the last few decades that allow the stupid to survive and reproduce!
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'd rather have the patented technology that warns a driver of impending collisions for up to 2 vehicles in front.

Actually, I'd rather see all the moron drivers get off the road so driving could get back to when driver skill was actually something to be proud of. The trend is heading towards driverless cars, which will have the same acceptance level as electric vehicles do now.
The insurance business is working on it with their plug in devices that tell them how you are driving....do not think I will be letting them put one into the Cutlass
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Administrator

My wife wants me to develop a Ray Gun that will send idiots and a-holes back to where their trip started. If successful some people will never get anywhere.
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Lansing built

Old March 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

^^^Now THAT is funny! Love Marvin - he always had the best 'toys'....