The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Went to the Drive In with a few car guys

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Went to the Drive In with a few car guys

Got an invite to go to the local Drive In for a private showing of Smokey and the Bandit. Have not been to a drive in in years, it was a blast.

Old May 31st, 2020, 09:33 PM
72Cutlass S

Super cool. That takes me back to a simpler time.
Old June 1st, 2020, 01:14 AM

I used to park backwards
Old June 1st, 2020, 03:42 AM

Looks like a great time. Neat!
Old June 1st, 2020, 03:56 AM

Thats so cool!
I did the same thing Friday night...but without all the cool cars.
Friday was the movies 43rd anniversary.
I was going to take my 70, but the rain was coming.
-peter

Old June 1st, 2020, 05:06 AM

Very cool!

My wife just mentioned that the drive-in near us was showing some good movies. I haven't been to a dive-in in 30 years. I need to take my daughters.
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:25 AM
same but different

Good times and good fun.
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I used to park backwards
My buddies and I would take my 65 micro bus, pull in, pick up the front end, move it sideways... lots of good memories in that 65.

Old June 1st, 2020, 06:41 AM

OH WOW, how fun is that ? Drive in movies are a vanishing thing. I hope I can get the Starfire done before they are all gone.
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:08 AM

I think the last time I went to a drive in movie I was in my 53 Hudson. It was all you can get in your car in for a buck night. Had six in the seats and two in the trunk. Had a great time don't think i knew what the movies were the next morning. I think good times were had by all.... Tedd
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I hope I can get the Starfire done before they are all gone.
I think the opposite will happen. Drive-ins are the perfect way to see a movie in this era of social distancing, so I think we'll see more of them. One of our local restaurants set up an outdoor theater on their property. People stay in their cars and order food from the restaurant while watching the movie.

It's the brick and mortar movie theaters that are going to go out of business (and they were generally in trouble before the pandemic with so many ways now available to watch movies on your big screen at home).
Old June 1st, 2020, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I think the last time I went to a drive in movie I was in my 53 Hudson. It was all you can get in your car in for a buck night. Had six in the seats and two in the trunk. Had a great time don't think i knew what the movies were the next morning. I think good times were had by all.... Tedd
The last time for me was around 1981. The only time I had ever pulled in backwards was when we took a pickup truck.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I think the opposite will happen. Drive-ins are the perfect way to see a movie in this era of social distancing, so I think we'll see more of them. One of our local restaurants set up an outdoor theater on their property. People stay in their cars and order food from the restaurant while watching the movie.

It's the brick and mortar movie theaters that are going to go out of business (and they were generally in trouble before the pandemic with so many ways now available to watch movies on your big screen at home).
I agree and this is starting to happen, small drive-ins are popping up more than they are going away. Its a lot easier now that they all went digital. On a side note, I experienced a "Wake up little Suzie" moment back in HS.
Old June 1st, 2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The last time for me was around 1981.
Did you never go to the drive in when you lived in Granbury? That one has been there for many years.
Old June 1st, 2020, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by edzolz
Did you never go to the drive in when you lived in Granbury? That one has been there for many years.
No, never did. I was working 6 days x 12hrs per week most of the time living there. The few times we were thinking about it they had closed and were up for sale because they could not afford to get the digital mods. Its a nice setup there. Like I said earlier, the last time was in San Antonio, Texas around 1981. There used to be 4 drive ins in SA and the wife and I used to go to them a lot. Suddenly there was only one left and in a part of town that you needed to armed to the teeth to go there.
Old June 2nd, 2020, 07:54 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

1979. We rotated every weekend, each of us had to enjoy trunk duty to save some cash. Long live Exton drive in!

Old June 2nd, 2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75

Old June 5th, 2020, 04:30 AM

Don’t understand why drive ins went away! Cheap family entertainment, cheap date do you all agree? By the way oldcutlass every time I see a pic of your car it reminds me of my favorite I once owned a yellow and black 67 “442”
Old June 5th, 2020, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tj Pal
Don’t understand why drive ins went away! Cheap family entertainment, cheap date do you all agree? By the way oldcutlass every time I see a pic of your car it reminds me of my favorite I once owned a yellow and black 67 “442”
I think the reason drive ins started to become extinct is 2 fold. The land value for which they sat increased dramatically causing a lot to be sold off and the loss of the family unit over time due to both parents working. There are probably other reasons like profit, upkeep, local regulations, etc... I think drive ins have a lot in common to the demise of drag racing facilities.

Funny now but not at the time, the Cutlass started out as a father and son project for my sons first car. It came up for sale around the corner from the house and I thought it would be cool for my sons first car be the same as mine. Unfortunately that dream turned into a nightmare as we both quickly figured out that he will never be a car guy. The project cost me my treasured 63 Plymouth Fury as there was only room at the house for 1 project. 11 years later and this car was built to reflect something I would have driven in HS.
Old June 5th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think the reason drive ins started to become extinct is 2 fold. The land value for which they sat increased dramatically causing a lot to be sold off and the loss of the family unit over time due to both parents working. There are probably other reasons like profit, upkeep, local regulations, etc... I think drive ins have a lot in common to the demise of drag racing facilities..
Originally drive ins were built on the edge of town and property taxes were low. "Urban sprawl" caused them to be within towns and city jurisdiction and property taxes went up fast. Drag racing facilities have paralelled.

Old January 10th, 2021, 07:34 PM
Banned

Don’t understand why drive ins went away!
Like was said earlier. They sat on huge plots of land. Sold and turned into condos and strip malls. Saw one of my all time favorite car movies at the drive in. Hollywood Knights. Based on the same thing. We Lived at the drive in. Had friends that worked there.

Nice group of friends and cars by the way.
Old January 11th, 2021, 04:57 PM

In the trunk, behind the front seat or over the fence sneak to your buddies car all good tricks. Went to a drive in about 15 years ago sad to say I fell asleep.
Old January 11th, 2021, 06:25 PM

So, cool.
I think the one thing that will come back because of this, is drive in's. Instead of sitting in a room with a 100+ people to go see a movie.
Did I spy a Pontiac can am. in that group of rides.
Old January 11th, 2021, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Grayghost
So, cool.
I think the one thing that will come back because of this, is drive in's. Instead of sitting in a room with a 100+ people to go see a movie.
Did I spy a Pontiac can am. in that group of rides.
Yes you did.
Old January 12th, 2021, 08:01 AM

Along with land values previously mentioned, All new movies are released using digital formatting. A projector for this format costs nearly 100K. Drive ins are a seasonal thing in most of the country so the ROI for that investment is next to nothing.

Last edited by 4+4+2=10; January 13th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old January 12th, 2021, 08:50 AM

There were companies around here this summer that had portable screens and sound systems that would go around and set up at locations and show movies. Helena had them at the fairgrounds a couple times and they sold out every time.