1970 W-31 at Mecum

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2023, 08:04 PM
Gearhead

1970 W-31 at Mecum

I'd like to hear the thoughts of this group on whether you think this is a real deal W-31 or not.

Cutlass W-31
Old May 7th, 2023, 08:13 PM

Need more than a protecto plate and owner's manual to prove it's a legit car. Need to see paperwork and how about some photos of the special items specific to this car... such as the carb and balancer? Just because it's a "Grand National" winner, doesn't means it's a real car. Rear bumper in incorrect and so is a/c, but people do like them. For that kind of money, I'd be expecting some factory paperwork to document the car. These auctions can say anything they want.

Last edited by Indy Guy; May 7th, 2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 7th, 2023, 08:23 PM

no 4 speed a/c W31s were ever built, camshaft was too wild
Old May 7th, 2023, 08:25 PM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by 70W-32
That's what I was thinking, but wasn't positive.
Old May 8th, 2023, 05:56 AM
Gary

Olds didn't use white shifter *****. That's a Pontiac thing.

Cutlasses didn't have radiator overflow tanks in 1970.

To me, these two easy items alone show the restorers may not have had much concern or even knowledge of originality.
Old May 8th, 2023, 06:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

No W31s with ANY transmission were built with A/C.

Old May 8th, 2023, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No W31s with ANY transmission were built with A/C.

Exactly. Couldn't get AC on Any W-31.
Old May 8th, 2023, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Exactly. Couldn't get AC on Any W-31.
Nor power brakes. Nor a non-GM overflow tank. One wonders how this car could ever be an "AACA Grand Nationals Winner".
Old May 8th, 2023, 07:17 AM
Banned

Gotta love auction cars. Factory installed AC. Maybe on a standard Cutlass. Not on a W-31. What is up with the stripes? Totally off in the rear on both sides. Something is up with the stripes on both doors also. Oldsmobile stripes prove challenging to oh so many. As was said already. Show the carb and distributor numbers. For that kind of cash that car better be one hundred percent dialed in. This car is not. Starting with something so obvious as the "Factory installed AC." I always say it. Show me before pictures. It obviously didn't come with AC as a W-31. I would be willing to bet that rear spoiler was added as well. Everybody has to add it. Must be the inner Hot Wheels fan in people. Can you say OVER PLAYED.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 8th, 2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 8th, 2023, 07:47 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

This seller, this car, this auction house combined are a public embarrassment.
Old May 8th, 2023, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tnswt
This seller, this car, this auction house combined are a public embarrassment.
Auction cars are where clueless people go to overpay.
Old May 8th, 2023, 09:58 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Auction cars are where clueless people go to overpay.
That's really true. Years ago I went to B-J with the intention of buying a car. I went through the catalog ahead of time and identified a number of candidates, did some research and came up with reasonable price limits for each. As the car crossed the block I would bid if bidding stalled below my pre-established threshold and then drop out when the price got out of reach. The ring people kept trying to drag me back into the bidding and they and the spectators seemed unable to get their heads around the idea that beyond a certain price point, a purchase no longer represents good value.

Needless to say, I went home empty-handed.
Old May 8th, 2023, 10:28 AM

I don’t understand how a major auto auction company like Mecum would even let the wording on this ad be used..obviously they checked for spelling-and thats it..They are wise enough to know this car, if real, could not possibly have factory ac yet allow it to be stated in the ad.. Can you trust anyone anymore? I am most certain they have some clause stating they do not accept any responsibility for facts stated..sad.
Old May 8th, 2023, 10:36 AM
Gearhead

I thought it was interesting that they went thru the expense of installing an aluminum intake.
Old May 8th, 2023, 10:37 AM
Banned

Amen Andy. These auction houses basically promote fake this and that. They allow it. They promote them. They step to the side and say we are aren't responsible for anything. We just sell them. Zero accountability. I have seen more than a dozen and more cars personally that come out of these places that aren't even drivable. Feed these fools alcohol with more money than brains. On to the next one.

Something as obvious as highlighting this car came with factory AC when it one hundred percent wasn't available is proof that they do not care one bit.
Old May 8th, 2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
I don’t understand how a major auto auction company like Mecum would even let the wording on this ad be used..obviously they checked for spelling-and thats it..They are wise enough to know this car, if real, could not possibly have factory ac yet allow it to be stated in the ad.. Can you trust anyone anymore? I am most certain they have some clause stating they do not accept any responsibility for facts stated..sad.
Read the fine print. Mecum is not responsible for the description of any car. That comes from the owner., If its wrong, thats for the buyer and seller to work out. Mecum(and all the other Auction houses) only want the fees(buyers fee, sellers fee, % of selling price)

AACA is not judged by Oldsmobile knowledgeable people, all they know is "ooh thats pretty"

Last edited by 70W-32; May 8th, 2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 8th, 2023, 11:01 AM
Gearhead

They have no way of knowing about every combination for every car. They just take what the seller has told them.
Old May 8th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Banned

Yup. There for the fees only. They act like they care but in all reality they could give a rats ***.
Old May 8th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I am most certain they have some clause stating they do not accept any responsibility for lies stated as fact ...sad.
FTFY
Absolutely they do.
Old May 8th, 2023, 12:52 PM

X2-W30-32 Exactly. That's between what the owner describes and the buyer that does his or her investigation These auction houses are not going to spend the time verifying what the owner says for 1000 plus cars before and auction...
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:12 PM

Read the fine print. Mecum is not responsible for the description of any car. That comes from the owner., If its wrong, thats for the buyer and seller to work out. Mecum(and all the other Auction houses) only want the fees(buyers fee, sellers fee, % of selling price)

AACA is not judged by Oldsmobile knowledgeable people, all they know is "ooh thats pretty"
Interesting you say that but not a year back that 70 w30 that sold for close to 300k ? Mecum reversed the sale for the simple fact it was a special paint car but was not painted the special paint color that was assigned to it….but another factory correct special paint color.. so either the buyer is good buddies with Mecum or someone pays some attention to whats going on.
Old May 8th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Read the fine print, especially items #11 and 13.

Old May 8th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

I brought this exact car up on the AACA forum. The reality is that OCA judging really doesn't do a great job of documenting what were factory-available combinations. Think about it, there were hundreds of possible combinations across 104 model years. Yeah, this one is easy because it is well known. How many here know that the RPO Y74 tic toc tack was an available option in the 1967 Olds full size cars, for example?
Old May 8th, 2023, 04:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Interesting you say that but not a year back that 70 w30 that sold for close to 300k ? Mecum reversed the sale for the simple fact it was a special paint car but was not painted the special paint color that was assigned to it….but another factory correct special paint color.. so either the buyer is good buddies with Mecum or someone pays some attention to whats going on.
A special paint car only has "- -" on the cowl tag. Without the broadcast card or similar documentation, there is no way to know what color the car was painted at the factory. And FYI, special paint could have been any color, not just the four "special colors" for the 1970 model year. This was how Oldsmobiles got painted Mary Kay pink or Yellow Cab orange or even Plum Crazy.
Old May 8th, 2023, 05:57 PM

A special paint car only has "- -" on the cowl tag. Without the broadcast card or similar documentation, there is no way to know what color the car was painted at the factory. And FYI, special paint could have been any color, not just the four "special colors" for the 1970 model year. This was how Oldsmobiles got painted Mary Kay pink or Yellow Cab orange or even Plum Crazy.
FYI…Actually the seller disclosed it. Buyer didn’t pay attention. Refund given.
Old May 8th, 2023, 06:12 PM

I brought this exact car up on the AACA forum. The reality is that OCA judging really doesn't do a great job of documenting what were factory-available combinations. Think about it, there were hundreds of possible combinations across 104 model years. Yeah, this one is easy because it is well known. How many here know that the RPO Y74 tic toc tack was an available option in the 1967 Olds full size cars, for example?
Not trying to be difficult here JP but if your a judge for a certain model then you should know about that car, maybe not every rpo like yourself but certainly specialty cars like w30,w31 and hurst olds there would be a training seminar before handing a national judging sheet out?..how could it win without some sort of contesting the win going on? I mean a couple of these things pointed out are major no no’s. Now if AACA is not an Olds sanctioned judging event then I completely understand..

Last edited by Andy; May 8th, 2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 9th, 2023, 05:30 AM

It should have been disqualified for the lousy, wavy side stripes alone. Factory stripes aren't always perfect, either, but that is one fubar stencil/tape job. Someone doesn't know what a straight line is. Even if it's fake, try to get it right. Looks like azz. Hard to focus on anything else but those poorly-applied stripes.
Old May 9th, 2023, 06:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69HO43
It should have been disqualified for the lousy, wavy side stripes alone. Factory stripes aren't always perfect, either, but that is one fubar stencil/tape job. Someone doesn't know what a straight line is. Even if it's fake, try to get it right. Looks like azz. Hard to focus on anything else but those poorly-applied stripes.
Amen. The mis-aligned door stripes are so bad. Almost like the door stripes were applied with the doors off. I would say maybe applied before the doors were fit correctly but they are too far off. Then you go to those rear quarter stripes... What the heck? The old saying. If you are going to take the time to do something Do It Right!! It really shows the lack of caring. Yet another car put together just to sell.

Estimated sale value of 125-150k?? Not in this house.
Old May 9th, 2023, 06:21 AM
Banned

Seriously what is up with these stripes? Is it me or does the driver's side rear quarter stripes get thicker as it goes back? Nevermind they aren't placed correctly on either side. The door stripes being off is really puzzling. If that were owned by an Oldsmobile fanatic they should have refused the shitty work.

That's a lot of work just to screw the whole thing up with poorly done stripes. Maybe the towel rack is there to divert your eyes.
Old May 9th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Not trying to be difficult here JP but if your a judge for a certain model then you should know about that car, maybe not every rpo like yourself but certainly specialty cars like w30,w31 and hurst olds there would be a training seminar before handing a national judging sheet out?..how could it win without some sort of contesting the win going on? I mean a couple of these things pointed out are major no no’s. Now if AACA is not an Olds sanctioned judging event then I completely understand..
AACA= American Antique Car Association

The few Concourse shows Ive been to, all cars were judged by the same group of judges, and they were all more interested in whether the wipers worked and the spare tire held air, than whether the options on the car were correct. Now, these were smaller local shows rather than something like the Amelia Island affair
Old May 9th, 2023, 07:01 AM

Mecum and BJ can put whatever disclaimers up they want; they have no legal standing. All it takes is one fraud lawsuit in which they are found guilty, and their asses are now owned.
Old May 9th, 2023, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

AACA= American Antique Car Association

The few Concourse shows Ive been to, all cars were judged by the same group of judges, and they were all more interested in whether the wipers worked and the spare tire held air, than whether the options on the car were correct. Now, these were smaller local shows rather than something like the Amelia Island affair
Actually, AACA =

As for judging, given that none of the clubs (OCA included) have enough members who are deeply versed in the minutia of available equipment, it's difficult enough just to get bodies for judging. A lead judge in each group who has that knowledge would be ideal, but frankly most people with such detailed model and year knowledge also have a car entered in the same class and are thus ineligible for judging that class.
Old May 9th, 2023, 04:37 PM

Actually, AACA =

As for judging, given that none of the clubs (OCA included) have enough members who are deeply versed in the minutia of available equipment, it's difficult enough just to get bodies for judging. A lead judge in each group who has that knowledge would be ideal, but frankly most people with such detailed model and year knowledge also have a car entered in the same class and are thus ineligible for judging that class.
Joe, how do we change that? Is it simply a dying hobby or are there other contributors to the difficulties? My very first car was a 62 f85, then owned a 67 delmont 88 drop top and a 68 442 drop top 4 speed car..then my interest went full scale Pontiac for 38 years, now back to where I once began and learning everything I can about not just my two current 442’s but other models in general..My work career was all encompassing and long hours..now retired I can dedicate the time..Thank all you guys on this forum as I have asked many many questions and learned a ton..
Old May 10th, 2023, 06:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Joe, how do we change that? Is it simply a dying hobby or are there other contributors to the difficulties? My very first car was a 62 f85, then owned a 67 delmont 88 drop top and a 68 442 drop top 4 speed car..then my interest went full scale Pontiac for 38 years, now back to where I once began and learning everything I can about not just my two current 442’s but other models in general..My work career was all encompassing and long hours..now retired I can dedicate the time..Thank all you guys on this forum as I have asked many many questions and learned a ton..
Andy, this has been an ongoing discussion for years. OCA Chief Judge Brian McArthur has been wanting to put together judging guidelines, but life does get in the way. You can contact him at chiefjudge@oldsmobileclub.org.
Old May 14th, 2023, 09:59 AM

Andy, this has been an ongoing discussion for years. OCA Chief Judge Brian McArthur has been wanting to put together judging guidelines, but life does get in the way. You can contact him at chiefjudge@oldsmobileclub.org.
Thank you, I sent him an email to see what it entails etc..
Old May 23rd, 2023, 01:22 PM

70 w31

It's on ebay now1970 Oldsmobile W31 | eBay
Old May 23rd, 2023, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by harleyrules
Mecum price $112K
Ebay BIN $131K. Good luck with that.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:25 PM
Banned

I know there are fees etc at these auction houses but I have always felt like there is shill bidding often.

I said it early on in this thread. No knowledgeable Oldsmobile person would spend that jack on that car.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

I know there are fees etc at these auction houses but I have always felt like there is shill bidding often.

I said it early on in this thread. No knowledgeable Oldsmobile person would spend that jack on that car.
A dealer would only buy it if they thought they could make a profit.
Old May 23rd, 2023, 02:34 PM
Banned

I hope the flipper eats it!!

Quick Reply: 1970 W-31 at Mecum