1977 Cutlass Supreme Vinyl Roof Molding Clip

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2018, 08:10 AM

1977 Cutlass Supreme Vinyl Roof Molding Clip

I just had a vinyl roof installed on my 1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. It went on really nice but I do have a problem area and need the clip that covers the two segments of where the trim molding comes together. I only need the clip cover that measures about 2 1/4 " from end to end. I have attached a picture of it and the location of the clip is below the back window resting near the trunk of the car. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance.
Sal Barberi

Old November 20th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Salb58,

I don't have the clip you need but I am curious.

I am thinking of replacing the vinyl on my 77 Cutlass.
I saw a listing on ebay for less than $300 for a vinyl top.

Did you have any rust that had to be dealt with below your old vinyl?
Did you have a body shop do the work?
Who purchased the liner? You or the person doing the work?
Would you share with us what the cost of the replacement?

Bob
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:53 AM

Bob,
I bought the car about 4 months ago.
The previous owner of the car did an amazing restoration on the car about 10 years ago. He did a frame off restoration and it took three donor cars to complete. The car did originally have T-tops and did have a vinyl roof. As the previous owner removed the vinyl roof, he noticed the roof had too much rust on it to use. So what he did was cut off the rusted roof, welded on a new solid hardtop roof, made it look better than new and made it more solid than the original. He then used the old roof as a template to cut the T-tops into the new roof. The T-tops fit great and they don't leak at all. When I bought the car, the car was all black and a hardtop. The only bad (rust) spots I had to address were below the opera windows. The guy who did my vinyl roof removed the opera windows, treated the small rust spots, sealed the windows with silicon, and then installed the roof. I bought the vinyl trim pieces from Ron of Ron's Cutlass Classics and they were in pretty rough shape. The vinyl roof installer blasted, straightened, prepared and painted the trim pieces to match the vinyl roof. He also provided the vinyl material and installed everything soup to nuts. I was really torn with what was the correct material and whether or not the window trim matched the roof trim or chrome. I happen to find a picture of my original 1977 Cutlass Supreme Brougham that I bought new and it had the chrome trim around the rear glass, so I left the window trim chrome. In addition, I had him remove my steering wheel and paint the steering wheel hub to match the steering column.
He charged me $1800 for everything and the only thing I provided was the vinyl trim pieces, trim clips and screws. I have a couple of before and after shots. Be happy to answer any other questions.
Sal

Old November 20th, 2018, 11:21 AM

Sal,

Looks real good. I would say money well spent. That should last a long time. I only have minor rust on mine near the bottom of the trim. I am in no hurry to replace it but may look in to doing it this spring.

Thanks for the response.

Nice car you got there.

Here is my '77
Old November 20th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment. Did the vinyl roof that's on your car the original vinyl roof? The reason I ask is where the top two trim pieces come together I think it should have one seam like a curtain rod with one going into the other. Mine appears to be short by about an inch or so. I had someone with trim pieces off a car join them together and the same gap is left. Could you take a close up picture of the top of the vinyl roof to see how yours lays out? I have attached a picture of what mine looks like. I am having a clip made to cover it to mimic the one that is curved on the trunk lid.

Old November 20th, 2018, 12:10 PM

Sal,

I am at work right now but will do that this evening. I should be able to post it about 5:30 Central Time.

Bob
Old November 20th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Bob,

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. No rush at all!
Sal
Old November 20th, 2018, 03:44 PM

Sal,

Here you go. Original. Note the seam down the middle.

Bob

Male and Female ends. No transition section.

Top of rear window.

Bottom of rear window,
Old November 20th, 2018, 04:09 PM

1977 Cutlass Supreme Vinyl Roof Molding

Originally Posted by BAOKBOB
Sal,

Here you go. Original. Note the seam down the middle.

Bob

Top of rear window.

Bottom of rear window,
Bob,
thanks very much for the pictures. Here is what I have gotten from all the research I have done. The roof on your car looks like a factory installed vinyl roof. The material used is much richer and nicer than the “pebble” look of my roof. I know the roof of my original Cutlass was dealer installed and they probably used the cheaper vinyl. Also your window trim color matches the roof trim molding. Mine was left chrome probably because it was easier and cheaper for the dealer to just re-install the chrome window trim. But the part that has me scratching my head is where the trim molding comes together at the top of the roof (male and female ends) You can see on yours too where the skinner part of the roof trim is where it meets the female end. It just didn’t look right to me So I am probably going crazy over nothing trying to put a clip over it to cover it. Amazing how I can look at many 77 Cutlass Supremes and they have different nuances. I even saw cars pin striped differently
Anyway thanks for the pictures. I appreciate it