Are 22's(rims) dangerous on a cutty???

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Are 22's(rims) dangerous on a cutty???

Im considering buying a pair fo 22's for my cutlass but im not sure that they would be able to handle a performance engine. What kind of suspension shoud i get to ensure safety? Or should i go smaller? Every opinion will be considered and i will decide from there. Thanks guys!
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 87candycutty
Im considering buying a pair fo 22's for my cutlass but im not sure that they would be able to handle a performance engine. What kind of suspension shoud i get to ensure safety? Or should i go smaller? Every opinion will be considered and i will decide from there. Thanks guys!
Are 22s safe? No. Put them on your car and the style police will come by and pummel the car with a baseball bat.

OK, since there's no accounting for taste, let's go over this once again:

The diameter of the wheel DOESN'T MATTER. It's the diameter of the tire you plan to run that matters. The width and offset of the wheel matters, but only to the point of rubbing on the inner fender. Use a tire in the 25.5" to 26.5" diameter range and you'll be fine. A 245/25-22 (if you could buy such a size) would be about 26.5" in diameter. Unfortunately, Tire Rack doesn't have any in that size.

A better choice would be 245/35-20s, which are about 26.75" in diameter and readily available.
Old May 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Are 22s safe? No. Put them on your car and the style police will come by and pummel the car with a baseball bat.

OK, since there's no accounting for taste, let's go over this once again:

The diameter of the wheel DOESN'T MATTER. It's the diameter of the tire you plan to run that matters. The width and offset of the wheel matters, but only to the point of rubbing on the inner fender. Use a tire in the 25.5" to 26.5" diameter range and you'll be fine. A 245/25-22 (if you could buy such a size) would be about 26.5" in diameter. Unfortunately, Tire Rack doesn't have any in that size.

A better choice would be 245/35-20s, which are about 26.75" in diameter and readily available.
Lol THANKS for the advice but where im from the style police dont bash cutlass' with baseball bats. TASTE is a matter of perception and the area that surrounds you but SAFETY is universal. Once again thanks!
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Unsubscribe!
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM

No they are not safe to just slap on the car.

If you want to install the following, they will work just fine:

Rear end: You're going to need a heavy duty rear end, more like beefier axles. The 26 spline "C" clip axles can't really handle that much weight for long. While 28 spline will work pretty good, I would still go to 31 spline "C" clip elimator and def go with a Ford 9" or GM 12 bolt. You could probably get away with a 8.5 ring rear, but that 7.5 just ain't going to cut it for long.

Front control arms: Same as the rear. You're going to need heavy duty suspension to hold those wheels in place, also the stock hubs on a 20 year old car: that statement should be enough to change them too.

Brakes: The avg 22" rims weigh about 110 lbs, and that's an open wheel, like a 5 star. All that extra weight isn't going to be stopped by stock brakes. Going to a big brake kit isn't just a good idea, but it will enhance the look of your wheels. Don't forget the new master cyl to match.

Tire size: To keep the speedo in check, you have to plus size correctly. Usually the plus 1 rule is in effect. for every 1 size you go up, you add 10mm to the width, subtract 10mm from the series, and of course plus the tire size. Your 87 cutlass probably came with 215/75/15 so going to 16's, per say, would be 225/65/16. It's not an exact science, but there is a tire size calc on www.1010tires.com that you can play around with.

Then you'll be good
Old May 27th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by gow589
Unsubscribe!
Unsubhate!
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 87candycutty
Unsubhate!
It's not hate, it's embarrassment for the human race!
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Past Administrator

I do not like 22s, or 21s, or 20s, or 19s or 18s, maybe 17s or 16s but I don't flame.

DON'T FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I do not like 22s, or 21s, or 20s, or 19s or 18s, maybe 17s or 16s but I don't flame.

DON'T FLAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just bought some 18's and painted them green to match the cutty so i wont need a new brake or suspension system trying to stop 22's
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Delete me as a user. I WILL NOT participate in forums which delete threads!

Delete me as a user!
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Past Administrator

I did as he requested.

For those who were watching this thread or wonder what was going on. There was an exchange of posts which became pretty heated between a few people. We don't need that here, I have seen other forums get pretty uncomfortable at times because of this kind of thing. I deleted those posts as they had no constructive content and notified those involved about it. I also suggested that the private message option be used if people want to argue and get obnoxious, I am sure we all don't care and don't really wish to see that.

I know about freedom of speech and all that but this is a public forum and common courtesy demands we treat each other with decency. Save the harsh stuff for a private discussion.

Thanks.
Old June 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM

So I went on 1010tires.com. I found Falken FK-452 tires, size 245-30ZR22. PERFECT. Using a stock size of 215-75-15, the overall diameter is 27.69"; the 245-30zr22 yields 27.78". I'm VERY stoked. And for all of you old guys that think smaller is better...I laugh. I have a '94 eldorado touring coupe with a northstar and i switched from stock 225-65-16 to 265-35-20 and my car hit corners like never before...not to mention how awesome it looked and all the posi comments...even from old ladies! I had an old woman about 60-65 tell me that my car was beautiful...she thought it was brand new! Who would rather stare at rubber over chrome?!? You old haters are broke as a joke and it's not funny. When you got the paper, why not? I'm not a big fan of 24's or 26's, just like you guys...but when 22's with slim tires are just about exactly the same OD as stock 15's with balloon-*** looking tires...you don't even deserve to hate. ANd if that didn't make you mad...I traded a $400 nissan altima for a 1985 cutlass salon (from the original owner) with 70,000 original miles (307, custom sport steering wheel, rally wheels, SOLID body). And the main reason was to stuff some 22's up in that bitch.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I did as he requested.

For those who were watching this thread or wonder what was going on. There was an exchange of posts which became pretty heated between a few people. We don't need that here, I have seen other forums get pretty uncomfortable at times because of this kind of thing. I deleted those posts as they had no constructive content and notified those involved about it. I also suggested that the private message option be used if people want to argue and get obnoxious, I am sure we all don't care and don't really wish to see that.

I know about freedom of speech and all that but this is a public forum and common courtesy demands we treat each other with decency. Save the harsh stuff for a private discussion.

Thanks.
Agreed, there are too many other angry forums for that. This should stay positive and constructive. Whether you agree with someone or not, respect their opinion. If you don't like it, don't answer. But then, there are always just one in a bunch that do that, I'm glad here it isn't ruined for the rest.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Hi Joe, I guess you have the right knowledge about wheels. What do you think is the right crome wheel size for a 71 Delta 88, without changing something. I'm german and living in Thailand, here ist no market for american car's at all.
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Past Administrator

Walter, welcome to our site. We would be interested to hear more about yourself and your car. Make an introductory post in the top of the forum. There is a thread for that. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Dan
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM

I don't like big wheels, but what the hell was that about. That was just nasdty and rude. Oldsguy, thank you for protecting this site. Over at op, they run a tight ship, any many people jumped off because they didn't like mods doing their job. Then what the heck are they for?
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Wheel questions

I am looking to give my 72 Cutlass the pro-touring look. I have already purchased big brake kit for the front to convert from drum to disk. My question is rim size. What is the widest rim I can tuck in the rears and fronts. I have seen this cutlass on cardomain w/ 20x 8.5's coys wheels looked great. I am looking to put 9.5 or 10's if possible. Maybe a 18/20 combo. Any suggestions, oh also the brake kit came with 2inch dropped spindles.. Suggestions....
Old October 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Cool

Well my friend there is a forum for that as well.
http://www.pro-touring.com/
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM

thanks for the quick reply, as I posted the same question there as well
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM
dar83501

Get smaller tires. Pleeaaasseeeeee, go smaller, for all that is holy and Oldsmobile, putting big tires on a Cutlass makes me cut myself at night.

As far as your car is concerned, if you plan on doing an engine swap, plan on doing a rear end swap and possibly a transmission swap as well. The 80's Cutlasses mostly all came with a 307 small block, or ish, to my knowledge, I wouldn't dare put anything bigger than a 350 in them without upgrading to a turbo 400 tranny and a bigger rear end, the 10 bolt just won't handle the torque. Not only that, but I wouldn't trust the stock axles either, they'll be likely to snap on you.

Once again though, there's people here who know exponentially more than I do about this kind of stuff. Listen to them, they know their Oldsmobiles.

Old October 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

Well, nothing like bringing up an old thread, although I realize all the posts were still on subject. As I see it we had two subjects here; the tire/wheel sizes that are safe, and keeping a site polite. First, to answer marcar1993, thanks for the vote of confidence, C.J. and I are still trying our best. We had to ban another member that was getting pretty vulgar last week and havne't heard of him since, if you didn't notice or see his posts you were lucky. Second, GothamCity I can't accurately address how large the wheel/tire combo has to be before it gets unsafe. Remember the larger they are the heavier they are and it makes the brakes work that much harder to stop the car. There is also more stress and strain on the spindles, bearings and axles. It is good you are researching this first and looking at different sources for information. I hope you find a good answer. dar8351, I missed the original reference to an engine swap but your recommendations have merit but I am not sure about the 10 bolt rearend. I know that we have some guys on here that really know their stuff when it comes to differentials and there is a common misconception that the 12 bolt is the corporate 12 bolt the other GM divisions use. It isn't. At any rate, I am going to shut up because I don't want to spout misinformation (as I am prone to do).
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:25 AM
IT'S REALLY A 78

they may be dangerous, but most importantly......THEY'RE UGLY!!!!!
Old October 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
dar83501

dar8351, I missed the original reference to an engine swap but your recommendations have merit but I am not sure about the 10 bolt rearend.
He asked something about a performance engine swap in combination with the wheels in his thread, I believe.

Old October 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM

I get harassed at work all the time, with guys telling me to put 26's or 28's on my Delta, and they get picked on when I say I'm putting 15's on it being told that I'm a corny white boy I race the car and not looking to add 450 lbs with a wheel upgrade.

The car has 14's on it right now. The guy that owned the car before me put 14" Cutlass Ralley wheels on it, and the car likes to shake on the highway since the fronts are too small. It's what I like to call "Ghetto Lowering" Instead of doing it right, putting smaller wheels on the car.

I'm looking at 15" Weld Pro Stars. I was think Draglite 90's but back in 1985 the "in" thing was those 5 star wheels. Plus they are polished so there's my bling.

Here's a photoshop of the Delta with Pro Stars and Draglites the 1st pic is what it looked like after I painted the drums yellow (don't worry I repainted them black :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0013.JPG (51.1 KB, 24 views)
delta weld draglites.jpg (37.9 KB, 20 views)
delta weld pro stars.jpg (37.6 KB, 22 views)
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:07 AM

C'mon guys ... rim size and fasion is a matter of taste and preference, I don't down anybody who has different styles or tastes as long as the Olds looks good in their eyes.

Having said that, I'm putting a set of 18 inch 130 count spokes on my 63 Dynamic and I dare ya to tell me i'm wrong.
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM

well, where have i been. nice job oldsguy !!!
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Well , guys remember that rims are a PERSONAL choice and the term "ghetto lowering" could be offensive to some. I appreciated the moderator for removing posts, etc... when this topic had gotten ugly.. My original question came from a performance stand point, the car currently has 14/15 cragars on them, that's what the previous owner had. It has 215/275 tire combo.. If someone wants to put 22+ rims thats there perogative...and that's there car..
So my question again is performance. I am familar with plus1,plus2, etc sizing and what i looking for is tire width and diameter. Can i put some 18X10 in the rear and 18 X8.5 in the front..safely..my intent is to make this putty handle better and corner better.I do plan on a using the 2in dropped spindles and upgrading shocks....
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Moment

ya want to sell the cragars??
Old October 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

possibly shoot me an email make an offer..I'd have to get my new rims first of course....
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM

one thing I have not seen in this post is tire weight rating based on the vehicle. Rims are one thing but tires need to match vehicle weight to be considered safe. ie 275 r15 is rated at 1200 per last time I checked. The larger the rim, the less the tire. You may want to check with your local tire dealer to be sure if you are looking at oversized rims and tires that the combination will meet weight standards as far as safety is concerned.
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:10 PM

So did you put them 22s on?? Got pics of it?? I don't know what I'm goin' to put on my 69-- but I'm far from that right now-- just starting my restoration- well good luck!
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:27 PM

Not yet my friend. I haved decided to go no bigger than 20's...I am thinking anywhere from 18-20's.. I have seen some sick 19's.. By the way will bmw wheels for our cars the bolt pattern is 5 x 120
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM

18's

Didnt put 22's on there decided to go with 18's. I also ended up selling this car to my buddy for 1500 bucks now im planning on buying another 87 cutlass salon edition and fixing that one up as well,
Old December 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM

Skatin' on DEUCE DEUCES!
Old December 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Pssssh! I'm rollin' on Jordans

Oh wait nevermind, they're 15'' Centerline champ 500s

I DO want to see some big ol drag slicks on some spinners though at least once in my life.
They would fly through the air like giant ninja stars on a 9 second drag car. Maybe even stick into the side of the checkered flag tower.

I once saw a guy that had spinners on his wheelchair.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM

Spinners on a wheel chair. That is SWEET!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

LMAO @ this thread!
Old December 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'm serious. I asked him if he made them himself but alas... no he did not.
But I did get the website from him.

He had the y360 Dollars AND Cents.

http://www.colourswheelchair.com/products/prod_y360.htm