330 Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:54 AM

330 Questions

Hi All!

This spring I finally got my butt in gear and replaced some long overdue engine gaskets on my 330. We reassembled the intake without using the gasket sealer and now have two tiny intake gasket leaks at the front next to the oil seals on the front of the intake (right where we put the two gobs of sealant)beside the oil seals. I've seen discussions here going to and fro about "use sealer" and "don't use sealer". I assume the answer to mine since I have since re-torqued the intake and it's still leaking is to apply sealer. Now would you recommend sealer around just the coolant ports on both sides of the gasket or around each port in the intake/block? The engine looks so good now (applied some Fusick Olds gold to it too), I hate the thoughts of opening it up again to fix this but it has to get done. The oil and rad show no signs of cross contamination so the leak obviously isn't too bad yet (only driven it a tiny amount since this was done and the leak was discovered).

Also, does anyone with a 64 have a part number for the PCV valve? I have a Napa up here looking for me but they haven't called me back. We could tell when we opened up the block that the PCV isn't working as good as it should be. It is the round canister that goes in the Valve cover opening and then to the air breather correct? Napa showed me pictures of a tube-like PCV but they were pictures from Rock Auto's website and could be wrong. Fusick shows a picture of what mine looks like but in the catalog does not list it for 64, only 65+.

Also, I know there isn't anyone who reproduces the oil filler tube sticker for my car/engine like the other 60s Oldsmobile models. I decided I might try making my own. Does anyone know what two letter code my car should have on this sticker?? I know it depends on what options are on the car, etc. I could get a pic of the plate off the firewall if it is required.

Looking forward to any advice/help!

TTYL!
Craig
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:42 PM

Hey Craig,

Mine is a 66 330 but my PCV is just a straight up and down one with the nipple on the one end to connect to the hose and my hose runs into an inlet on the rear of the carb. It may be different if you have a 4 barrel, mine is only a 2.

Year one has the stickers for the engines http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=3

Go to stripes and decals then look for the engine link

Last edited by 1966_F85; May 4th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Hi! Thanks for the fast reply. I appreciate it. Yes I do have the 4bbl carb. Here is a picture of my engine where you can see the piece:

I remember checking their page but it doesn't mention 64.. Just 65 330s without A/C and Auto trans (which be the same as mine but for 64 and I have 290 HP instead of 310).. That's why I suspected the letter code for mine is different... Here is the link I was on:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...archid=3814986

Last edited by 1964CutlassSC; May 4th, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 5th, 2010, 01:14 PM

Update:

Going to put the silicone tonight around the coolant ports only. That should resolve the issue.

I have also determined that is the PCV valve and the ones that Napa could get me were the bullet type for the 2bbl that you mentioned (thanks as I would have assumed they had the wrong picture!). I am still on the hunt for that. It's AC Delco part # CV639 (6420092).

Still would love to have the oil filler tube sticker two letter code too if anyone can help!

Last edited by 1964CutlassSC; May 5th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Yeah does anyone know what the sticker codes are for these cars I am curious as well.

Originally Posted by 1964CutlassSC
Hi All!

Also, I know there isn't anyone who reproduces the oil filler tube sticker for my car/engine like the other 60s Oldsmobile models. I decided I might try making my own. Does anyone know what two letter code my car should have on this sticker?? I know it depends on what options are on the car, etc. I could get a pic of the plate off the firewall if it is required.

Looking forward to any advice/help!

TTYL!
Craig