#5 Heads Question

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2021, 06:03 PM

#5 Heads Question

Im new to the forum and hope I can get some answers in regards to my #5 heads on my 1968 350 motor. I would like to put headers on this motor but I read somewhere that I would need some head work or the headers will leak. Saw something about having to fill the caveats. Can anyone advise me if I can just get bolt on headers or do I need to get better exhaust manifolds that are direct fit. The passenger side of my exhaust manifold has a clamped off and welded shut cross over pipe. I just want to do it right. Thank you everyone for the add to this group and for help in advance.
Old June 30th, 2021, 06:08 PM
72 Olds CS

The blocked crossover pipe port is because the same manifold is used for single and dual exhaust applications, nothing wrong w it.

You can get Thornton's 350 manifolds, or headers or leave as is.

Some people do block the exhaust cross over under the carb and thru the heads to cool things down. If you have a hot air choke youll need to switch to something else.
Old June 30th, 2021, 06:16 PM

Ok great, I appreciate it and the quick response too. I do have an edelbrock performer manifold on it, if that helps any. I was really hoping to put on headers on, so I can have leaks like everyone else. LOL....
Old June 30th, 2021, 07:26 PM

My car has a set of Heddman headers that I installed back in the 90s, and I never had any leak issues. There's nothing you need to do to the heads to install headers, just bolt them on. I would recommend you forget whatever "information" you got from that source as the header info is very inaccurate, which would make me suspect anything else from the same source.
Old June 30th, 2021, 07:36 PM

#5 heads with headers?
No, your heads will not leak at the header if you use good quality header gaskets and hardware. No, you don’t have to fill in between the exhaust ports for a street engine. Filling in between the exhaust ports is only recommended for high performance applications because of the disturbance in the exhaust flow between the header and head with the gap at the header between the exhaust ports. Although I do recommend Headman headers. The Headman’s tuck up closer to the floor better ground clearance than the Hooker Headers.
Old July 1st, 2021, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 69Oldsman
#5 heads with headers?
No, your heads will not leak at the header if you use good quality header gaskets and hardware. No, you don’t have to fill in between the exhaust ports for a street engine. Filling in between the exhaust ports is only recommended for high performance applications because of the disturbance in the exhaust flow between the header and head with the gap at the header between the exhaust ports. Although I do recommend Headman headers. The Headman’s tuck up closer to the floor better ground clearance than the Hooker Headers.
Old July 1st, 2021, 08:37 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Everyone

Originally Posted by 69Oldsman
#5 heads with headers?
Thats exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.
Old July 9th, 2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nevrstop
I was really hoping to put on headers on, so I can have leaks like everyone else. LOL....
love it, you have the right attitude for full length headers. Should work out just fine. You may want a heat wrap for your starter or to swap up to a Powermaster mini starter. They are great!

Enjoy the boost in power and rolling thunder sound. With the right mufflers the engine will sound amazing. Welcome aboard and please let us see her when you have a chance.
Old October 18th, 2021, 07:39 PM

No problem Nevrstop, that’s what we are here for. To help educate members.
Did you get your headers yet? Thanks